Ireland and Scotland Tour reflection

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
BostonZimbo
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Ireland and Scotland Tour reflection

Post by BostonZimbo »

zimfan1 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:20 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:02 pm
My main post-tour thought is; Will Sean Williams still be a Zim player when we convene for the next tour/series?
I think Raza will but who knows with Williams. Lets face it, I'm not sure Williams knows what he is doing an hour in advance, the definition of flakey. Realistically he must be one of the most talented players in world cricket, hardly plays cricket apart from internationals, not a massive one to net, goes AWOL between series but has a great record. He would have been better than Flower if he had half of his work ethic.

BT was always a grafter, never out of the nets. But Willo has never bothered much, no idea how he got the level he has been at for the last few years, insane talent.
Didn't willo quit for hockey at one point as well?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

zimfan1 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:20 pm
He would have been better than Flower if he had half of his work ethic.

BT was always a grafter, never out of the nets. But Willo has never bothered much, no idea how he got the level he has been at for the last few years, insane talent.
Exactly how I have thought about him many a times too.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Nice touch from Raza and co. ZC really still shocking from them. Still hope they host a special event for him, invite former players, coaches etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUDe8lmDLEN/

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:00 am
Nice touch from Raza and co. ZC really still shocking from them. Still hope they host a special event for him, invite former players, coaches etc.

It might be the unpopular thing to say but to be honest you can't expect a farewell party at your job if you quit on social media and never come back. BT knew he was never going to get a colourful farewell with the way he announced his retirement. It was a big middle finger to them and he knows it. Even Williams who quits often handed in a resignation letter. Procedure is procedure unfortunately, whether we like the people in charge or not. This goes for any professional job out there in the world.

Even if Hami was there, you still have to put it in writing for legal reasons. There was paperwork

I really wish he had retired in December but I'm sure he has his reasons. Have we ever had a legend retire at home in front of a friendly crowd?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

CholeZimbo wrote:

Looks like they had prepared that in advance.

ZC the very last people to know hahahaha

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:34 am
CholeZimbo wrote:

It might be the unpopular thing to say but to be honest you can't expect a farewell party at your job if you quit on social media and never come back. BT knew he was never going to get a colourful farewell with the way he announced his retirement. It was a big middle finger to them and he knows it. Even Williams who quits often handed in a resignation letter. Procedure is procedure unfortunately, whether we like the people in charge or not. This goes for any professional job out there in the world.

Even if Hami was there, you still have to put it in writing for legal reasons. There was paperwork

I really wish he had retired in December but I'm sure he has his reasons. Have we ever had a legend retire at home in front of a friendly crowd?
Yesish. He could have.

ZC could also have overcome themselves and done something decent.

Why is it that the admins can act how they like and the players need to be the grownups?

The employer can be unhappy with how an employee exits and still write something appropriate.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Jemisi wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:47 am
Yesish. He could have.

ZC could also have overcome themselves and done something decent.

Why is it that the admins can act how they like and the players need to be the grownups?

The employer can be unhappy with how an employee exits and still write something appropriate.
Yes, individuals come and go. They might be once in a generation players too, like Flower and Taylor. But they have a shelf life. But the organization is there for a longer term. You might have been wronged, but this is where as an organization you have the opportunity to show your magnanimity and be the model for future generations to aspire to get involved with you. What do you gain as an organization by scoring cheap points against one individual?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
CholeZimbo wrote:

You come form a very authoritarian hierarchal mindset I’ve noticed which explains a few of your positions over the years. Maybe came from a strict school and household and Zimbabwean workplace that is ran like this?
A witnessed verbal resignation in HR is still considered a valid resignation in a lot/most(?) jurisdictions. Most companies management ethos today is collaborative and transparent in mindset. A breakdown in communication is seen as a failure of the organisation as a whole and communication and accountability is experienced both ways. Managers manage their employees and employees review their management. Two way accountability.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:41 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
CholeZimbo wrote:

You come form a very authoritarian hierarchal mindset I’ve noticed which explains a few of your positions over the years. Maybe came from a strict school and household and Zimbabwean workplace that is ran like this?
A witnessed verbal resignation in HR is still considered a valid resignation in a lot/most(?) jurisdictions. Most companies management ethos today is collaborative and transparent in mindset. A breakdown in communication is seen as a failure of the organisation as a whole and communication and accountability is experienced both ways. Managers manage their employees and employees review their management. Two way accountability.
Maybe it's just being Zimbabwean :lol: I actually did my further education in all of the above. I fully understand it but what I realized this works for fluid and transparent organisations which have regular management changes. ZC is nothing like that and what you will find is a management and board who have been in the system for as long as Taylor has been there probably. In other words, not in Africa. All the rules are twisted to serve the top and not the whole organisation

You will find that Hami(he wouldn't have the authority to accept anyway) isn't part of HR otherwise Williams would have done the same thing. There is a reason why Williams went the route he took and why Jarvis did too In fact I'm pretty sure Jarvis probably had a far worse contract reduction than BT.

You will also find that there is a high chance that BT might be owed match fees or something. Maybe he still has a month or so to go on his contract. That I don't know, but if he unilaterally quit (probably a breach of contract) does he get paid his September salary etc? It's more than just announcing on twitter you quit. This is now about contracts and so on.

This is why Williams himself probably continued. You quit like that , good luck getting the money they owe you. Give 3 months notice and you still have to go to work for those 3 months. In other words Williams would have still had to play the domestic season, no way they would have said here is your money you can go.

Finally even though it's not their money, they will feel like BT owed them because they gave him 250k upfront and a long term contract. Things they actually never did before. Remember Sean Ervine trying to come back in 2015 and they didn't send him the money he asked for? All this was done for the World Cup which we didn't qualify for. A " failed experiment" in their eyes.

A salary reduction to about 10k now is half of what he was getting before but if you look regionally

https://www.sportingfree.com/cricket/so ... rs-salary/

At the current 10k (120k/year) only Rabada,Ngidi, Miller and QDK would be earning more than him (excluding match fees).

At his previous 20k only QDK would be earning more than him. Most probably this is what ZC were thinking in their mind as to why their offer was reasonable. Also considering there are a lot of kids they are trying to absorb into the central contract system as well.

To be honest BT is probably the only player in our system who deserves big money. I actually don't know how much Williams and Ervine and Raza are on but I would be assuming around that 10k mark which BT was allegedly being offered.

I honestly just try to bring out their perspective when I post. The real issue for me is not the player salaries, its how much non-players in ZC earn. That's where the real problem is. Nobody in admin should be getting salaries close to the players salaries that is a serious failure on their part. A stupid sense of entitlement

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

My bad I messed up the quotation marks there :lol: