Afghanistan Cricket / Taliban

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Afghanistan Cricket / Taliban

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:22 pm
If I understand it correctly, CEO is not an elected position in any company or organization. For the CEO to be appointed, doesn't seem inappropriate. I believe the Chairman is an elected office, but the current chair has already served in that position before the Taliban takeover. Also the cricinfo article seems to suggest he was "replaced" after Afghanistan's last place finish at the 2019 World Cup. So he wasn't removed democratically, but ZCF didn't seem to have a problem with that.

There's a world of difference between the ZC - who waste, misuse, and embezzle ICC funds - and the ACB which at least puts the money to better use. Purely from a business standpoint - capitalism! - the ACB is several fold more valuable to the ICC than ZC.
Well, the point is the ICC haven't been consistent. ZC doesn't even want to make noise about it.

There is a difference though. It was pretty much ZC itself going to ICC and insisting that there was government interference and begging them to suspend us. So...

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:07 pm
Well, the point is the ICC haven't been consistent. ZC doesn't even want to make noise about it.

There is a difference though. It was pretty much ZC itself going to ICC and insisting that there was government interference and begging them to suspend us. So...
Well I didn't know that, but now that you've mentioned it, it does seem to be a different case altogether.

Afghanistan should not be suspended simply because its good for cricket. Cricket as a sport is already in a very precarious situation due to the pandemic, preponderance of T20 leagues, financial reliance on 2-3 major powers, political squabbling, and most importantly only a handful of serious countries taking up the sport (at most 10-12 teams).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:24 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:

Well I didn't know that, but now that you've mentioned it, it does seem to be a different case altogether.

Afghanistan should not be suspended simply because its good for cricket. Cricket as a sport is already in a very precarious situation due to the pandemic, preponderance of T20 leagues, financial reliance on 2-3 major powers, political squabbling, and most importantly only a handful of serious countries taking up the sport (at most 10-12 teams).
Yeah, in regards to cricket only, Afg should remain. I dont really understand what the difference between Zimbabwe and Afghanistan are though

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
CrimsonAvenger wrote:

You’re right that there is a difference with the ZC case, in that it was the board and Mukuhlani themselves who flagged it to the ICC.

The USA and Nepal however (and numerous much tinier associates over the years) didn’t do that but have been suspended for less serious things than this.

I mean a group of Taliban (therefore, government) folk with AK’s storming into the office and demanding the CEO is replaced with their pick is pretty rad. You can be technical about a ceo being ‘appointed’ but I don’t think even the ICC can defend that.

I’m very confident they will be suspended in the interim. And then whenever that it settled and ‘investigated’ , they’ll find themselves as leading associates without test status again going forward.

Conveniently - and annoyingly - though it will probably all happen after the World Cup

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
CrimsonAvenger wrote:

You’re right that there is a difference with the ZC case, in that it was the board and Mukuhlani themselves who flagged it to the ICC.

The USA and Nepal however (and numerous much tinier associates over the years) didn’t do that but have been suspended for less serious things than this.

I mean a group of Taliban (therefore, government) folk with AK’s storming into the office and demanding the CEO is replaced with their pick is pretty rad. You can be technical about a ceo being ‘appointed’ but I don’t think even the ICC can defend that.

I’m very confident they will be suspended in the interim. And then whenever that it settled and ‘investigated’ , they’ll find themselves as leading associates without test status again going forward.

Conveniently - and annoyingly - though it will probably all happen after the World Cup
How does the ICC benefit from delaying this?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:22 pm
If I understand it correctly, CEO is not an elected position in any company or organization. For the CEO to be appointed, doesn't seem inappropriate. I believe the Chairman is an elected office, but the current chair has already served in that position before the Taliban takeover. Also the cricinfo article seems to suggest he was "replaced" after Afghanistan's last place finish at the 2019 World Cup. So he wasn't removed democratically, but ZCF didn't seem to have a problem with that.

There's a world of difference between the ZC - who waste, misuse, and embezzle ICC funds - and the ACB which at least puts the money to better use. Purely from a business standpoint - capitalism! - the ACB is several fold more valuable to the ICC than ZC.

Thsi is where we need a globally recognised cricket media outlet to put pressure on corruption like this.
Someone like a Piers Morgan or Tucker Carlson to do a segment on it in front of a worldwide cricketing audience to expose the BS

It’s strange that there is no cricket tv shows that I know of. Nothing like ‘The Footy Show’ in Australia that has an NRL and AFL equivalent or NRL360 or the millions of NFL shows where you can discuss the controversies in the game.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:08 am

Thsi is where we need a globally recognised cricket media outlet to put pressure on corruption like this.
Someone like a Piers Morgan or Tucker Carlson to do a segment on it in front of a worldwide cricketing audience to expose the BS

It’s strange that there is no cricket tv shows that I know of. Nothing like ‘The Footy Show’ in Australia that has an NRL and AFL equivalent or NRL360 or the millions of NFL shows where you can discuss the controversies in the game.
If you're looking for a pundit who is actually not dishonest, who's already touched on the issue, Hasan Minhaj is the best option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5DWJv1hiwM
slcricfan1 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:00 am

How does the ICC benefit from delaying this?
I reckon it would cost the ICC a lot of money to alter the format and structure of the WC at such a late stage. Afghanistan are actually in the main draw. I am fairly certain that any changes made to the lineups will have adverse affects on sponsorships and broadcast deals which were long sold. The ICC would probably stand to lose a lot of money.
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 am

Its not technical. A CEO is never elected, he's hired throughout whatever process that particular organization uses. The Chairman or Board President is an elected office, and in this case this particular chairman was removed by the board in 2019, and has merely been re-instated, albeit by a different regime.

None of the white countries will play Afghanistan, they might even forfeit their games at the WC, which would really be embarassing for the ICC. But I suspect all the non-white countries will have no issue playing against Afghanistan. The players aren't members of the Taliban afterall.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

AFG under 19s just beat Bangladesh in a youth Test in BD. Not an easy feat. Would be a shame to strip them of status merely over politics.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:22 am
AFG under 19s just beat Bangladesh in a youth Test in BD. Not an easy feat. Would be a shame to strip them of status merely over politics.
They should never have got status in the first place if we are going by the official ICC criteria and rulebook.

Let'a hope they lose it soon.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I always knew handing Afghanistan test status was going to come back to bite them. Asking for trouble.
You would probably find posts from years ago saying it.

I’d steer clear of anything Afghanistan related in any discipline.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*