Afghanistan Cricket / Taliban

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Afghanistan Cricket / Taliban

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:56 pm
Also, you are forgetting an absolutely crucial point. If you read into the ICC statutes and minutes and the way it operates, you'll be amazed. The ICC isn't some almighty independent body. It's about as independent as a hog on ice.

In almost every aspect it is totally controlled by the full members. How many full members will want to be seen to supporting the Taliban's major outlet for soft power and influence?

You can bet your bottom Zollar that India won't be wanting to support Pakistan's terrorist breeding ground.....
I can’t say too much but I legit know of countries that faked having cricket to get funding.
Just in case you had any doubts that the ICC aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:34 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:56 pm
Also, you are forgetting an absolutely crucial point. If you read into the ICC statutes and minutes and the way it operates, you'll be amazed. The ICC isn't some almighty independent body. It's about as independent as a hog on ice.

In almost every aspect it is totally controlled by the full members. How many full members will want to be seen to supporting the Taliban's major outlet for soft power and influence?

You can bet your bottom Zollar that India won't be wanting to support Pakistan's terrorist breeding ground.....
I can’t say too much but I legit know of countries that faked having cricket to get funding.
Just in case you had any doubts that the ICC aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed.
Sorry if this is too intrusive but how do you know this stuff lol?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I lived in Hong Kong for a few years as a school teacher. There was a group of friendly Aussies running the HK cricket board - ended up drinking with them one night and they were bemoaning how associate funding is distributed on the basis of a ‘scorecard’ matrix that measured all sorts of various things. They told several stories of random dodgy countries in the Asia region making all their figures up and getting more funding, whilst HK’s internal very official and organised sports body and audits meant they had to be brutally honest and therefore missed out on a lot of deserved funding.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc- ... an-1289702

An update of sorts. Looks like the ICC is going to try to influence the Taliban position on women's sports via a close relationship with the ACB. Doesn't look like they will suspend ACB, at least not in the immediate future. Member boards of course will have the freedom to cancel bilateral engagements as the CA has done. Fair decision overall I think. Will hurt Afghan cricket, but AFG will likely survive, and may possibly thrive somehow.

I would imagine that only Pakistan, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, and Sri Lanka will feel comfortable playing against the Afghans. I would imagine that ENG/AUS/NZ/SA/WI will probably boycott all bilaterals, but agree to play them in ICC events. Not sure what India will do, but I could see them going either way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I love that an entirely male appointed ICC commission is going to 'investigate the state of the women's game in Afghanistan and its future'. :lol:

Such a cop out. Cricket is surely the worst administered sport on the planet.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

As I said Afghanistan are like ICC's favourite boys. They won't ever suspend them.

India will surely play them, BCCI and ACB are quite friendly.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Lance 'Zulu' Klusener and Shaun Tait have both quit from the head coach and fast bowling coach of Afghanistan cricket team.

As I expected, Afghanistan won't attract any foreign interest and probably their downfall has begun. They may yet get some low profile subcontinent coaches for the time being. Is Andy Flower still with them? It's a shocker if he is still continuing.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Afghans are planning on getting UAE residency permits for their team to avoid visa trouble during away tours. That's quite clever...hope it works out for them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)