Who's coming back for the upcoming domestic season?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
totoro
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Who's coming back for the upcoming domestic season?

Post by totoro »

zimfan1 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:49 pm
Any idea on the start date?
October 17 has been posted in this thread as a date shared by ZC.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

totoro wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:33 am
zimfan1 wrote:
Havent seen you in a while.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

totoro wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:33 am
zimfan1 wrote:
Supposedly but I wouldn’t bet on it. Tuskers are playing Botswana that same week so seems unlikely Logan will start that week now.

Confusion as always! An annual tradition!

totoro
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by totoro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:09 am
Havent seen you in a while.
Moved house a few times, and been busy with work. Still lurk here when I can :D

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

The madness continues, with the literal director of cricket Masakadza this morning saying the season will start - and I quote - 'hopefully fairly soon'. Nobody has a fucking clue, even the man himself! Why does this disorganisation continue every fucking season.

Will it or wont it start next weekend? Which competition? Which format? Which teams, which players, which venues? How can a player, let alone an entire franchise, train and prepare for high quality competitive cricket at such short notice? And then we wonder why the Logan Cup is so low quality. In competent countries squads have pre-season training for months preparing for their first fixture.

Tuskers have had a full pre-season and Eagles have been training occasionally. Rhinos I'm not sure about. Mountaineers have not trained at all yet and Rocks still aren't sure if they are in the competition this year or not. Some of the franchise coaches haven't even got contracts yet.

And then Hammy talks about attracting overseas Zimbos and foreign players. In what fucking world is he living?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Someone in the know has suggested the problem is venues. At least four venues - possibly a fifth for training purposes - are being used for the women's world cup qualifiers, and the ICC blockade either side (in terms of ICC gaining control and operation of the grounds) means all of those venues are likely to be unavailable for domestic cricket from around the 7th November to the 7th December.

Thats why ZC are hoping to squeeze in a couple of rounds of Logan Cup before that.

NPL could happen during that month whilst the qualifier is happening, but again getting SRC approval of the Covid measures in place at some of the smaller grounds is proving costly.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Surely we can play the domestic game in Bulawayo or Kwekwe. Heck, we can even use a school like St Georges. They have about 4 fields of a good quality.

It's really not hard to organise a competition.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:40 am
Surely we can play the domestic game in Bulawayo or Kwekwe. Heck, we can even use a school like St Georges. They have about 4 fields of a good quality.

It's really not hard to organise a competition.
I'm guessing HSC, OH, QSC and BAC will be used for the women's games (although BAC will need a lot of work before then) - and then possibly either Taka or Kwekwe as a fifth ground. I don't know what state Masvingo or Mutare are in or whether they are capable of being used for domestic cricket at the moment. Doesn't leave many options for First Class games at all really.

I suppose they can be a bit more creative and use alternatives grounds and school grounds for the NPL, which is why we might see that played whilst the qualifiers happen.

I get that venues during the qualifiers are proving to be a difficulty, but really they've had months to prepare, and crucially - communicate - , a fixture list around that. Frustrating.

But yeah this is the problem we have when half of the grounds in the country are lying in ruin. :/

Googly

Post by Googly »

It has to be a concerted deliberate attempt at being completely and utterly corrupt and useless. This goes well beyond just uselessness, it has to be studied and perfected.
If you took the top off Alwyn Pichanick's head, poured boiling oil into it and stirred the contents with a blender he'd still be cleverer than these cunts.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:31 am

I'm guessing HSC, OH, QSC and BAC will be used for the women's games (although BAC will need a lot of work before then) - and then possibly either Taka or Kwekwe as a fifth ground. I don't know what state Masvingo or Mutare are in or whether they are capable of being used for domestic cricket at the moment. Doesn't leave many options for First Class games at all really.

I suppose they can be a bit more creative and use alternatives grounds and school grounds for the NPL, which is why we might see that played whilst the qualifiers happen.

I get that venues during the qualifiers are proving to be a difficulty, but really they've had months to prepare, and crucially - communicate - , a fixture list around that. Frustrating.

But yeah this is the problem we have when half of the grounds in the country are lying in ruin. :/
Honestly, you should be preparing for each season a year in advance. Once Zim were announced as hosts, you would then be able to look at your calendar and go, "ok, we need to move these domestic games" This way your dates stay the same and your only concern is grounds. It's Zim domestic. They don't need to play on the best of the best. The pitches at St Georges, St Johns, Hellenic, even PE are good enough for these guys. Some of those private schools have some lush outfields.

Of course the easy alternative would have been the CFX academy, but we all know that after the fire ZC did not bother to rebuild it or keep it up.

I've organised bigger events with more people and less time. I could probably arrange this league within 1 or 2 weeks.