The future of the coaching staff

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: The future of the coaching staff

Post by secretzimbo »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:47 am
I think the PCB was ready to hand the Pakistan national team coach job to Andy Flower on a platter a few months ago and if the rumors are to be believed, he refused it to make himself available for short term gigs around the world? Historically, the PCB top job has been a bit of a dead end for coaches with the Pak team continuing to remain mercurial and unpredictable, and also given that he might have had to spend a lot of time in the country, it was a practical decision. So too is this one. A payday for a short stint.

What amazes me is, what makes these cricket boards think that they can bring someone on as a consultant for a month and they can make a difference? Surely, they know that is not possible? For the coaches, they have no hesitation in taking it up because they can never be blamed for not getting the results. They can just brush off any criticism saying that it was a very short stint. It is a win-win for the coach and no gain for the boards. Crazy, if you think about it.
Afghanistan aren’t expecting any results or possibly even any work or consulting at all for him. It’s almost certainly just to try and add legitimacy to them and their World Cup participation.

Honestly it’s really sad. It’d be sad for anyone to go and abandon their morals and get a payday from the Taliban , but for it to be a man who once risked his life and career for political morals - it particularly stings.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:12 am
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
I think the PCB was ready to hand the Pakistan national team coach job to Andy Flower on a platter a few months ago and if the rumors are to be believed, he refused it to make himself available for short term gigs around the world? Historically, the PCB top job has been a bit of a dead end for coaches with the Pak team continuing to remain mercurial and unpredictable, and also given that he might have had to spend a lot of time in the country, it was a practical decision. So too is this one. A payday for a short stint.

What amazes me is, what makes these cricket boards think that they can bring someone on as a consultant for a month and they can make a difference? Surely, they know that is not possible? For the coaches, they have no hesitation in taking it up because they can never be blamed for not getting the results. They can just brush off any criticism saying that it was a very short stint. It is a win-win for the coach and no gain for the boards. Crazy, if you think about it.
Afghanistan aren’t expecting any results or possibly even any work or consulting at all for him. It’s almost certainly just to try and add legitimacy to them and their World Cup participation.

Honestly it’s really sad. It’d be sad for anyone to go and abandon their morals and get a payday from the Taliban , but for it to be a man who once risked his life and career for political morals - it particularly stings.
Yes, ironic, really.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
You guys are forgetting a great political maxim that went something like: In politics/global affairs, there are NO permanent alliances, only permanent interests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
CrimsonAvenger wrote:

Pretty sure Flower's arm band stunt was merely a well thought out exit strategy, Olonga's less so, there was a lot of naivety in that.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

A lot of unfair bashing of Andy here. Not here to defend or legitimise the Taliban, but none of us know the deal that Andy has struck. The ACB could be operating independently or any payment could be coming from a different source other than Afghanistan.

Remember, the ACB board has been around before the Taliban took over so any money they have is what is in their coffers. The suggestion that this is all Taliban would then be implying that it is government controlled which would require immediate suspension of the board and team, and them kicked out of all tournaments.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:07 am
A lot of unfair bashing of Andy here. Not here to defend or legitimise the Taliban, but none of us know the deal that Andy has struck. The ACB could be operating independently or any payment could be coming from a different source other than Afghanistan.

Remember, the ACB board has been around before the Taliban took over so any money they have is what is in their coffers. The suggestion that this is all Taliban would then be implying that it is government controlled which would require immediate suspension of the board and team, and them kicked out of all tournaments.
Not if the assumption is the same one used by BCCI vis a vis the PCB. They refuse to contribute money towards the PCB because of the PAK government's actions. And this is approved by the ICC. But if the PCB is separate from the government, then it's a moot point. If on the other hand the PCB and the government are the same entity, the ICC would in theory have to suspend PCB if they were to suspend the AFG board for the reason stated by some ZCFers.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:30 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:07 am

Not if the assumption is the same one used by BCCI vis a vis the PCB. They refuse to contribute money towards the PCB because of the PAK government's actions. And this is approved by the ICC. But if the PCB is separate from the government, then it's a moot point. If on the other hand the PCB and the government are the same entity, the ICC would in theory have to suspend PCB if they were to suspend the AFG board for the reason stated by some ZCFers.
I don't like BCCIs stand on Pakistan. I grew up watching those India - Pakistan games and nothing can beat that excitement, even now when Pakistan are not as good as they were in the past.

It has been 14 years we last played a test against them, an entire generation of fans have missed out on the greatest rivalry of all time. It absolutely sucks. As a kid Tennis was my favourite game followed by cricket, and I can't imagine liking cricket as much had it not been for Ind-Pak games.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:30 am

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or against it. I think we all know the BCCI and PCB issues go much deeper than cricket and a bit hard to be compared to ACB.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:40 am

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or against it. I think we all know the BCCI and PCB issues go much deeper than cricket and a bit hard to be compared to ACB.
Neither. Just stating my opinion on the matter. Just saying that the cricketing part of the argument is identical here. If the ACB are to be suspended for the reasons cited on this board, then PCB also has to be suspended based on the allegations of the BCCI. In fact, the BCCI had tried to get the Pakistanis kicked out of the World Cup, but I think the ICC refused to budge from their neutral stance by allowing the BCCI special exception to not play PAK bilaterally, but not going so far as to ban the PCB altogether from international cricket.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:23 pm

Neither. Just stating my opinion on the matter. Just saying that the cricketing part of the argument is identical here. If the ACB are to be suspended for the reasons cited on this board, then PCB also has to be suspended based on the allegations of the BCCI. In fact, the BCCI had tried to get the Pakistanis kicked out of the World Cup, but I think the ICC refused to budge from their neutral stance by allowing the BCCI special exception to not play PAK bilaterally, but not going so far as to ban the PCB altogether from international cricket.
Yeah, that's not going to fly. BCCI making allegations is not enough, especially as ICC stand to lose more from kicking out the PCB. Also, BCCI aggravations against Pak come from more than cricket.

Which is also what I am saying with ACB. There are a lot of allegations, no concrete proof.