Who's coming back for the upcoming domestic season?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Who's coming back for the upcoming domestic season?

Post by TapsC2 »

I think the NPL is the only thing that makes sense because I don't think the COVID regulations will be that strict. I don't think you 100% need a bubble. Also I don't think it's possible to organize a bubble at schools when they are open which limits the amounts of options.

If they want the Logan Cup to start it will need to be in a bubble so I can only think of Mutare and Masvingo as the only viable options. If the grounds are even in shape. 300km apart too.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:09 am

Honestly, you should be preparing for each season a year in advance. Once Zim were announced as hosts, you would then be able to look at your calendar and go, "ok, we need to move these domestic games" This way your dates stay the same and your only concern is grounds. It's Zim domestic. They don't need to play on the best of the best. The pitches at St Georges, St Johns, Hellenic, even PE are good enough for these guys. Some of those private schools have some lush outfields.

Of course the easy alternative would have been the CFX academy, but we all know that after the fire ZC did not bother to rebuild it or keep it up.

I've organised bigger events with more people and less time. I could probably arrange this league within 1 or 2 weeks.
Agree.

Side note though, PE’s grounds aren’t what they were. Couldn’t play first class there now. Sad

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Zimbos_05 I think it was you who posted years ago that you used to be involved with Universal back in the day? You should see it now - a soccer pitch and some trashy wedding venue. Sad :( there’s a lot of places like that now.

I might do a thread auditing all the current and former grounds to try and get an overall picture of what state they are all in. Googly will know more about Harare grounds than I.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:47 am
Zimbos_05 I think it was you who posted years ago that you used to be involved with Universal back in the day? You should see it now - a soccer pitch and some trashy wedding venue. Sad :( there’s a lot of places like that now.

I might do a thread auditing all the current and former grounds to try and get an overall picture of what state they are all in. Googly will know more about Harare grounds than I.
Yeah it was me. I'm well aware of Universals. Once my family left, the people who took control of the club got rid of the tennis courts and turned it into a putt putt. The wedding venue was always a plan from well before I left, but the problem was that the people who took over around 03/04 were in it for themselves. So they never developed that venue as they should have.

The wife of one of the guys also prohibited sport to be played on the fields. She said it would destroy her flowers. So the cricket and night time 5-a-side soccer league died down.

At one point, Universals had the Flowers, Houghton, Streak and co all playing there. The Indian and Pakistan cricket teams would come train there too, not any more.

It's truly sad because we produced Davis Cup players, International standard cricketers, and were sending teams on national and international tours in Soccer, Cricket, Tennis, and Hockey on a regular basis. My uncle won Africa Games and International Hockey titles. My father went on tours for badminton and table tennis. Myself and my cousins did tours for Soccer, Tennis, and Cricket. Some of us represented Mashonaland and Zim. It was all possible because of the set up and system that was in place. I remember doing coaching session with Fabisch, Houghton, Black brothers, Flowers.

You'd be lucky to find a ball there now. It no longer exists. It's so terribly sad.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There is a very long list of sports we excelled at internationally. Everything has been destroyed, and it's not over, there's still a few bricks left on top of each other.
The object is to have one Cockerell crowing from a dungheap and then it will be complete.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Rocks are definitely returning at least. So they seem to be sticking with 5 franchises.

Looking more and more likely that Franchise will start before NPL as all five franchises are now in training together.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Eagles have a sponsorship deal and are now known as Alliance Health Eagles. $19k per year. Not much but its a step in the right direction in terms of sponsorship in the first class set up.

They've also named Reggie Chakabva as their club captain for the season. (Has Chamu moved on?!)

Signs that we are pretty close to the start of the season.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Andre Odendaal appears to have moved back permanently to Zim. So presumably will be with Rocks again. Rocks trained in Harare today but not sure of who was there.

Yvmnaidu will be pleased. How long until 'andrewoodendallee good player in zim team zim should play him and play like ipl team win matches brandondicklop andreew odendalle bradevans'

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Starting on Friday?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:06 pm
Starting on Friday?
Definitely this weekend apparently, not sure on the exact start day but Friday makes sense. Rhinos/Eagles/Rocks/Mountaineers playing. Tuskers are hosting Botswana.