Who's coming back for the upcoming domestic season?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Who's coming back for the upcoming domestic season?

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:03 pm
Eagles have a sponsorship deal and are now known as Alliance Health Eagles. $19k per year. Not much but its a step in the right direction in terms of sponsorship in the first class set up.
That definitely sounds encouraging. I remember Lays had some sponsorship deal with the Rhinos a few years ago. But we haven't heard of many such similar stories of late. Looks like a step in the right direction for sure.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Yes this is important. Franchise independence is key. If they can all get up to at least 100k a year that would make a huge difference for the guys who don't play for the national team.

Streaming matches is key to this local growth too. Pitchvision is a step in the right direction. Add some commentary and you will start getting people watching. I have noticed you get a few Indians watching our random streams. Make it a lot more professional and I'm sure you can attract a bigger crowd.

Even if they start with a professionally streamed T20 tournament it will get views. You don't even need to bring in the likes of Chris Gayle, just guys from smaller countries with a huge following. Imagine inviting a Nepal 'A' team to play in our T20 tournament

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:33 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Eagles have a sponsorship deal and are now known as Alliance Health Eagles. $19k per year. Not much but its a step in the right direction in terms of sponsorship in the first class set up.
That definitely sounds encouraging. I remember Lays had some sponsorship deal with the Rhinos a few years ago. But we haven't heard of many such similar stories of late. Looks like a step in the right direction for sure.
Sponsored names are mostly crap, but 'Alliance Health Eagles' even sounds half decent.

How about 'North Face Mountaineers', 'Midwest Bank Rhinos', 'Sensodyne Tuskers' and of course "Southern Comfort on the Rocks'?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:31 am
Yes this is important. Franchise independence is key. If they can all get up to at least 100k a year that would make a huge difference for the guys who don't play for the national team.

Streaming matches is key to this local growth too. Pitchvision is a step in the right direction. Add some commentary and you will start getting people watching. I have noticed you get a few Indians watching our random streams. Make it a lot more professional and I'm sure you can attract a bigger crowd.

Even if they start with a professionally streamed T20 tournament it will get views. You don't even need to bring in the likes of Chris Gayle, just guys from smaller countries with a huge following. Imagine inviting a Nepal 'A' team to play in our T20 tournament
There's a lot of interest from sponsors but many continue to be terrified of dealing with ZC and not really want to get into business with them. The franchises need to be given much more independence and be at arms-length from ZC to really capitalise on sponsorship tbh.

As for streaming, I feel it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Reliable, fast bandwidth costs a small fortune here so streaming matches is expensive and a waste of money if there's only about 60 random Indian blokes watching it. But then if they did stream high-quality for a few seasons, I do think interest would build over time.

I like the idea of inviting teams/countries for the T20.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:04 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:33 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sponsored names are mostly crap, but 'Alliance Health Eagles' even sounds half decent.

How about 'North Face Mountaineers', 'Midwest Bank Rhinos', 'Sensodyne Tuskers' and of course "Southern Comfort on the Rocks'?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I think the Eagles deal is $19k over two years.

As for inviting other teams and countries, I think it depends on whether we can actually structure a proper season. We would be competing with the BBL, NZT20 and SAT20 in terms of timing, so you wouldn't even be able to attract a Lamichane or the Afghan guys.

I like the idea of maybe looking at attracting the Indian and Pakistan lads who don't really feature for the national team but have played somewhat in the IPL or PSL. It would increase viewing rates with those countries and that's what you need to capitalise on. If there is interest in that, you'll get indian and pak companies sponsoring.

As much as we may not like the BCCI, we have to kind of pamper them a bit to get what we want from it.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

That reminds me... Whatever happened to the exchange program between Vidarbha Cricket Association and ZC?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14089

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:12 pm
I think the Eagles deal is $19k over two years.
Confirmed as $19k for 1 year now after some initial confusion. That's a pretty good deal actually. Hopefully the money doesn't get 'lost' and it will encourage interested parties to look at the other franchises too.

Realistically, long-term we do need to move away from this model of ZC themselves paying salaries to each and every franchise player. Franchises need to be more self-sufficient if its possible.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

If the franchise system was run independently outside of ZC it perhaps would be easier. The problem is that we are talking about Zim. How do you regulate the five franchises and whether they are doing their job. Corruption is too rife in Zim and I would suspect that the ICC do not want too many diversions as it would make it harder to monitor.