The future of the coaching staff

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: The future of the coaching staff

Post by zimfan1 »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:57 am
Rajput has signed a new contract to the end of 2023 :(
https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/rajput-stays-put

Googly

Post by Googly »

That won't go down well with Williams and Raza and probably quite a few others who have chosen not to say anything.
No coach has really managed to even vaguely arrest our inexorable demise so you can't lay that wholly on his doorstep, but it's not good news. He seems absent half the time, endorses the flawed thought processes of management and clearly is at loggerheads with a few of our senior players.
I was hoping Dave Houghton may be next in the firing line, because he does know what he's doing and may have made a difference, principally because he may have caused a couple of overseas players to consider their options at some point.
To me this smacks of a gamble that the young guns are going to come good, that's a go big or go home bet.

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

How :o
What he done in his tenure to help extend his coaching. Fuck off zimbabwe cricket authorities :twisted:

Googly

Post by Googly »

I wrote that before I read that article, even the sympathetic sports writers think the same.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Probably the end of Willliams and SRB when their contracts are up. I'm sure Slug would rather be on the golf course too, but he seems to be ploughing on for now.

I think thats the end of any prospect of any overseas guys coming back in the next two years as well.

He must be cheap. Thats the only thing I can think. He must be.

Googly

Post by Googly »

He's saying he's been following the Logan Cup and is excited about emerging talent?
Is this the first time he's had a look? :lol: was he just working with people delivered to his net prior to that?
That smacks of desperation more than anything. Does he just read the post match stats or has he actually been present?
Unfortunately players doing well in our sub-standard Logan Cup is no great indication of anything. How does a player who's had a good run in 4 day franchise cricket and who we've probably seen for many years now suddenly have the goods to excel on the international stage?
Will they give these guys a run or will we see the same old faces? Our FC players suffer from lapses of form and nobody seems to be able to get any sort of consistency together at all, so will a guy who posts 3 decent scores get a shot? We're in danger of shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.
The only thing I'm sure about is that it was a monumental blunder not replacing him with DH.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:58 am
He's saying he's been following the Logan Cup and is excited about emerging talent?
Is this the first time he's had a look? :lol: was he just working with people delivered to his net prior to that?
That smacks of desperation more than anything. Does he just read the post match stats or has he actually been present?
Unfortunately players doing well in our sub-standard Logan Cup is no great indication of anything. How does a player who's had a good run in 4 day franchise cricket and who we've probably seen for many years now suddenly have the goods to excel on the international stage?
Will they give these guys a run or will we see the same old faces? Our FC players suffer from lapses of form and nobody seems to be able to get any sort of consistency together at all, so will a guy who posts 3 decent scores get a shot? We're in danger of shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.
The only thing I'm sure about is that it was a monumental blunder not replacing him with DH.
He’s definitely not present. He didn’t attend a single domestic match in his first year or two. Last year he did only because he got stuck in Zim because of Covid and unable to get back to India.

Now he’s back to normal, living permanently in Mumbai, appearing daily on Indian TV as a cricket pundit during the World Cup. Whilst presumably still picking up his ‘full time’ salary from ZC ffs.

The fact that I could probably give a better insight into the first three rounds of the Logan Cup than our actual national team coach is a joke.

He’ll fly in 3 days before the Afghanistan series and then you can bet your bottom dollar he’ll be on the first flight out again when the series ends. This is an insane situation. What must the players think of this level of commitment?

The only comforting thing I can think of is that possibly Houghton has spoken with him, been impressed, and green lighted his contract extension maybe? In Dave we trust?

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's a win win for DH. He didn't get the national coaching job, which I don't think he would have turned down, but in Rajput's long absences he will probably essentially be the caretaker. On a sinking ship you don't try and save the day, you get a spot by the life raft.
This is such disappointing news, man.
Rajput will probably be a cheap option, but the fact that he's essentially a part-time yes man with no real interest or attachment to our cricket is why he's been given another go.
Houghton was instrumental in getting us on the map, if you were to ever choose anyone to fight for our survival it would have been him. Fuuuuuck!!!!!!

Donald

Post by Donald »

The whole article about infusing team with youngsters and having success seems a bit of a moot point now with myers confirmed as being in university for 3 years and also Marumani serious dip in form.
Madhevere and Shumba have come good though

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Donald wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:45 am
The whole article about infusing team with youngsters and having success seems a bit of a moot point now with myers confirmed as being in university for 3 years and also Marumani serious dip in form.
Madhevere and Shumba have come good though
didnt marumani just hit a century