The future of the coaching staff

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: The future of the coaching staff

Post by Googly »

Marumani would need to make some big changes to hope to be successful internationally. As I said, a good hand eye is a prerequisite at that level, not a blessing. They just don't bowl too many hit me balls. He hits them well though.

It's early days to say the other two have come good. This Afghanistan series will be a good test for them. A good innings from Wes and everyone thinks he's the saviour of our cricket, then a good innings from Milton and Wes is forgotten about and Milton is the flavour of the month. That's a mix of hope and lack of knowledge and a bit of an agenda from some fans and Admin. A series against a decent side where the opposition really pays attention how to bowl at them will be revealing. I like the way they both play though, and Shumba's composure in that T20 was damned good. There's definitely renewed interest when you see a couple of young guys with potential that have been given opportunities, we haven't had that for years.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:53 am
Marumani would need to make some big changes to hope to be successful internationally. As I said, a good hand eye is a prerequisite at that level, not a blessing. They just don't bowl too many hit me balls. He hits them well though.
Yeah. He's a great athlete though - bit of a freak. At U19's he smashed everyone at any fitness tests or fitness work. Natural athlete. And when he connects he really connects. We saw that in the domestic T20 last season - he was incredible to watch. He's very obviously lacking a brain though. Some of his shots at national level have been mega retarded. But this is exactly where a coach comes in. I doubt he'll ever be a Test player obviously, but he could be a really important part of our T20 side offering something that no one else in the country can. He definitely has the potential to be an upgraded better version of Cephas. But watching him for the past six months it's been really obvious he has no coaching or support or anything. Only in Zim would you have better coaching and facilities in your school than you do in your senior national team :lol:

So is Rajput (and Matsi) the person who is going to make the changes to his game and exploit his potential? Almost certainly not.

Thats why this is so frustrating. We've been blessed with a group of good youngsters, quite miraculously. Rajput has contributed a grand sum of fuck all to their development but no doubt has got a contract extension based on their emergence.

A good coach who is actually of international quality might be actually able to mould these youngsters into consistent international performers and maybe we could actually make some progress as a team. Aside from the youngsters we all talk about, it's also worth noting that quite a few other unexpected young or youngish players have been doing well in the Logan Cup as well, not just the usual old names. A good coach would have quite a bit to work with. It's interesting times. And with ZC relatively stable-ish at the moment I think the job would appeal to quite a lot of coaches around the world right now.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Also has no one even noticed that Rajput has achieved extremely little in his entire coaching career?

He was the team manager - not coach - when India won the first T20 world cup in 2007. But remember T20 was all a bit of a laugh and a joke then anyway. And he wasn't even a coach. And it was 14 years ago. Since then he's spent most of his time organising fixtures as a secretary in Mumbai and as a spokesperson for the Mumbai cricket association. He had a short stint with Afghanistan when they couldn't hire anyone else at the time. They binned him off pretty quickly too.

How has he actually managed to get a job with a Test playing full member as Head Coach? And how after dismal results for three years has he now managed an extension ffs?

Maybe he's got some incriminating photos of Takemore and Mukuhlani playing with each other in a back room at the ZC offices or something. :lol: :o

Googly

Post by Googly »

And our two talent scouts will be scouring the country yet we have a really talented lad that can lace it and he's probably not being given much additional coaching.
So "finding" someone and then doing what with them?
Clearly depositing them in our FC system is nowhere near enough.
Tina09 was saying Shumba is the cleanest hitter, I'd say Marumani probably is.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Anyone want to place any bets on any of the 2022 under 19s being in the full Zimbabwe squad in next 18 months?

Maybe a Bawa or Welch for example?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Donald wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:57 am
Anyone want to place any bets on any of the 2022 under 19s being in the full Zimbabwe squad in next 18 months?

I'd be surprised if any of the top 6 stuck around. I hope I'm wrong.

Donald

Post by Donald »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:39 pm
Donald wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:57 am

I'd be surprised if any of the top 6 stuck around. I hope I'm wrong.
I think it was a good idea to play welch/saul and bennet brothers against namibia. I hope they get some zimbabwe domestic one day matches before the under 19 world cup. A lot of indian under 19s would have had some domestic experience prior to world cup for example so mixing with seasoned campaigners and national zimbabwe players will be great for development.

I dot know about any of the current under 19s aspirations post 2022 world cup. I would hope if some do well zimbabwe may fast track

Googly

Post by Googly »

Bhawa is at Eastbourne, which almost certainly means he will have the option to enrol in a UK University if he passes moderately well, plus his old school mate, Myers, is now at Uni. He probably knew from the outset that his cricketing opportunities were limited because of the regs so you'd have to think he's also looking at tertiary education.
I see he's been in a couple of these U19 games when presumably he should have been at school, which does cast some doubt as to what his plans are, he clearly wants to be a part of the u19 squad which means he will be missing at least another month of school next year. Anybody's guess.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Saul and wollhutter look good on paper. They worth a punt in a franchise game?

Googly

Post by Googly »

He has not done as well as he'd hoped cricket-wise at Eastbourne which also limits his opportunities there. It puts into perspective how good Muyeye is, who broke every single Somerset school record there was to break.
Were Muyeye here he'd be getting way more recognition than Shumba or Madhevere yet he isn't even a regular in the Kent First Eleven. This is why one has to be so careful before you start prematurely labeling these local lads as world beaters.
There's quite a few players that will be reasonably comfortable against an Associate bowling attack, but a mere handful that will cope against the top 8 teams, that's next level. Madhevere is particularly good through off, which is where you get 90% of your deliveries so I'd fancy his chances more, although he's going to get it short into his armpit if Afghanistan do their homework.