Under 19s thread. Players and under 19 matches

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Under 19s thread. Players and under 19 matches

Post by sloandog »

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Another one who has ended up at uni in the UK. At Loughborough I believe, so much better facilities/coaching than Myers will get at Southampton.

Also there is a new Graduate visa route in the UK from this year which means everyone graduating uni there can stay for a couple of years and work in any job. So maybe we won't see as many returning either.....

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Wow, Loughborough. I could have gone there but the school of classics was shit. Was so tempted though just by the facilities.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Cricketing facilities

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

He won't be on the MCCU programme obviously (I think it's only for England-eligible players now since they reformed, isn't it?) - but I'm guessing the facilities and coaching for the 'normal' uni team is still extremely good there.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Myers and Ndlela will be paying international fees at UK universities and that is serious money.
That's 4 top black young cricketers that have voted with their feet in the last couple of years. The taunts of "go back to where you came from, we don't need you!" is laughable now, plus there's a few in SA. You could almost make up a top team of young black talented guys who've fled the disaster that is ZC. :lol:
The requirement is to be talented and poor, or just not university material or zero other options.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Brad Evans was in the UK for a long time and he immediately made an impact on the domestic circuit when he came back. Maybe that's how they are looking at it. Might not be world beaters in 3 years time but there is a good chance they will still be better than the rest if they come back.

If you also look at the way things were going Myers might have looked at it and realized with the way things were going he might have been a squad player for a couple of years if Williams, Raza and Ervine were still in the cut. Yes for me he is by far the most talented but the middle order if nobody else retires will be probably be like this until the the 2023 World Cup

3- Ervine
4-Williams
5-Wes
6-Shumba
7-Raza
8-Burl

If Williams does call it quits, you will probably see Burl promoted to 7 and Jongwe/Evans at 8. I know his parents probably had a big say but this might have also played in his mind and made him think he can spare 3 years.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Evans played for Sussex Two's for a while, then for one of the MCCU's, then for a couple of decent clubs. I don't think that level of cricket will be available to those guys.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Evans only studied sport or something like that though didn’t he? He wasn’t very academic. Meanwhile Ndlela is doing mechanical engineering and Myers is very very smart too.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I'm hoping ZC keep in touch with Myers and make sure he knows he's well thought of. Even though he hasn't fired with the bat, you can see he oozes talent and has a lot of time. Shumbs and wez are two serious finds though. If we can look after the current crop, hopefully incorporate Bawa in there at some stage and perhaps Saul or Wollhutter, the batting looks good.
We just need another decent quick to come through and keep the fast bowling depth strong