Gary Ballance Statement

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kallum

Gary Ballance Statement

Post by Kallum »

I know this isn't strictly a Zimbabwean matter, but Gary Ballance has come forward to admit using racial slurs against Azeem Rafiq at Yorkshire CCC during the current racism hearings. Here is the related statement, would be interesting to hear some opinions on what he has said from you lot!

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/ ... team-mates

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Gary Ballance Statement

Post by Zimco »

Kallum wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:58 pm
I know this isn't strictly a Zimbabwean matter, but Gary Ballance has come forward to admit using racial slurs against Azeem Rafiq at Yorkshire CCC during the current racism hearings. Here is the related statement, would be interesting to hear some opinions on what he has said from you lot!

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/ ... team-mates
Seems like they had a falling out or something as part of this.from the other article posted here, apparently zimbo is an offensive slur?

"It is reported that the panel found Rafiq's reference to the former team-mate who is understood to be Mr Ballance, who is of Zimbabwean heritage, as 'Zimbo from Zimbabwe' as a 'racist, derogatory term'.

The report said that if Rafiq were still at Yorkshire, he would have faced disciplinary action. "

From the daily mail article.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Why is zimbo racist or derogatory?

Seems like a bit of a kangaroo court to me. Poor old rafiq. Yorkshire are in a bit of trouble it seems and the mud slinging has started.

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

All the sponsors seem to have pulled out from the club which could leave it in an interesting position considering it has the second largest wage bill on the county circuit...

No way is Zimbo a racial slur and sounds like an excuse more than anything, when he mentioned he faced a racial slur from Rafiq i assumed it would be something to do with actual race not nationality.

I wonder what is going to happen next with Ballance cause i certainly don't see Yorkshire sticking by him considering the sponsorship pain they are now going through, and don't see any other counties picking him up. Shame cause he should absolutely be playing in the England setup and Sussex could really do with an experienced batter but obviously wont employ him now.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

With regards to racism. People tend to get lost in the words rather than the meaning.
Zimbo doesn’t sound like a slur and could be Ballance playing a race card of his own, but it could also be racism if used in a certain way. Will see how it pans out.
My gripe has always been people using the race card to their advantage and to exploit situations which happens all the time.

You’ll find in reality most ‘racism’ isn’t racism and the stance irony is actual racism can be blatantly overlooked if it’s to a white or Indian person.
It’s almost like mainstream accepted to mock a Mormon for example m- but because they are so nice they don’t complain.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Zimbo is definitely not a racial slur. Sounds like a they were clutching at straws.

I think it's good of Garry to admit to what he has done. Many don't. They double down and claim innocence. Not to say what he did was right. Completely in the wrong. Not sure how he can salvage his career after this.

Zim is probably the only option as I can't see another county side taking him on, but does Zim want that image. Not that our current one is any better

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Donald wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:25 pm
Why is zimbo racist or derogatory?

Seems like a bit of a kangaroo court to me. Poor old rafiq. Yorkshire are in a bit of trouble it seems and the mud slinging has started.
Can someone explain why Pakistani is racist? I`ve never understood lol. Isnt it basically a shorter form just like Zimbo is?
Last edited by slcricfan1 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:32 am

Can someone explain why Pakistani is racist? I`ve never understood lol. Isnt it basically a shorter form just like Zimbo is?
It's all about what the majority of people think. And that in turn is often based on historical precedent. Why is dishonesty bad? Because it's universally regarded as immoral.

Cricinfo had an article explaining why they replaced the term "chinaman" with "left arm wrist spin" explaining that the term China man is not like Englishman. They are grammatically analogous, so the difference is in context and tone.

This is why the term "Spanish flu" is not racist but calling the coronovirus "chinavirus" is. It's about context.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

And the Spanish Flu didn't originate in Spain, by official accounts. You would think the Spanish would be miffed at the reference. Maybe they just have a thick skin.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

I`m not sure if this is a glitch but is the forum supposed to autocorrect p*** to pakistani? If so what other words does it apply to? Im curious