Zim Women's Cricket Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: Zim Women's Cricket Thread

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:57 pm

Think you are being ridiculously harsh....

Until about two months ago they weren't even paid! Theres only a small handful of domestic women's games each year, and almost no schools play it. It's frankly remarkable that we have a team at all, considering women's cricket barely existed until earlier this year I think they are doing pretty well. They are very new to this level of competition.

If you missed it, they won their first ever ODI in history last month beating Ireland. Bangladesh are a clear step up and ranked higher - 8th in the world. Our ladies don't even have a ranking yet, being so new to ODI cricket.
I didn't miss anything. I caught their first ODI win. I get that they don't have as much as the men, but they are not just new to this this year. They have also been in camps quite often.

I don't expect them to win every game, but you do expect to see a little progress, that is all. Even if it is just progress in the form of their line and length or being able to last whilst batting. Improvement in the basic things.

I don't blame them. Like I said, I don't know if its a coaching or skills thing, but when you consider the gulf from other teams, it almost seems like whoever is in charge just puts them out on the field and hopes for the best. It's not fair on the girls.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:40 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:57 pm

Think you are being ridiculously harsh....

Until about two months ago they weren't even paid! Theres only a small handful of domestic women's games each year, and almost no schools play it. It's frankly remarkable that we have a team at all, considering women's cricket barely existed until earlier this year I think they are doing pretty well. They are very new to this level of competition.

If you missed it, they won their first ever ODI in history last month beating Ireland. Bangladesh are a clear step up and ranked higher - 8th in the world. Our ladies don't even have a ranking yet, being so new to ODI cricket.
I didn't miss anything. I caught their first ODI win. I get that they don't have as much as the men, but they are not just new to this this year. They have also been in camps quite often.

I don't expect them to win every game, but you do expect to see a little progress, that is all. Even if it is just progress in the form of their line and length or being able to last whilst batting. Improvement in the basic things.

I don't blame them. Like I said, I don't know if its a coaching or skills thing, but when you consider the gulf from other teams, it almost seems like whoever is in charge just puts them out on the field and hopes for the best. It's not fair on the girls.
Your criticism should have come 3-4 months ago, when it would have been well placed.

They barely played at all during Covid. Even the attempted Pakistan series was abandoned. Over the past two years they haven't been paid a penny and I would guess several members of the squad may well have had stretches of weeks/maybe even several months of not touching a cricket ball in that period, at any level. Until recently these really are amateur cricketers.

The ICC audited its full member nations commitments to women's cricket earlier this year. It found Zimbabwe was the worst of all but Afghanistan for its distribution of funding and resources. Giving the qualifier to Zim was a sop by the ICC in exchange for ZC committing to sorting out its women's team. It's early days. The women's team has been almost defunct at times.

I think you need to give them quite a bit longer before judging progress. It won't happen overnight.

I mean, bowled out for 48 in the first match and then 2-2 in the first over yesterday. They actually did well to bat as long as they did and the tail did well to stretch the innings out. That's an improvement. I'm sure they are learning lots.

Maybe I'm biased, I know the women's coach Adam Chifo pretty well. I just think we need to give them more time to make that progress. Hopefully when Nkomo is back and Mayers gets back up to speed they will be able to be fairly competitive in the actual qualifier and pick up a couple of W's.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Rewarding Zim with the qualifier in the hoped they sort women's cricket?? It's like when Charles Taylor hacked half his people to death and the NGO's, Red Cross etc stepped in to "save" them and Taylor insisted that he get 15% of the value of their help or he wouldn't allow them in. I think he was paid 300 million. :lol:
I think these refugees were the same ones that insisted their wood for cooking be exactly 60cm long and it was being flown in from Scandinavia.
It seems that the more you take and destroy the more people seem willing to throw cash and help at you, life is easy for some.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

^ I think you'd be surprised just how popular the current ZC administration is within the ICC. They are very much viewed as the most stable ZC administration for a long time. The fact we've been given two mens world cup qualifiers in a row and a women's qualifier is a good example. Mukuhlani has been doing quite a lot of work as an ICC Representative on associate boards throughout Africa. If they can get ZC in line with other members boards with the push on women's cricket then they will try anything.

Don't shoot the messenger! I know it's utterly stupid, but then thats nothing new for the ICC.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Nice that they finally have commentary (Darlington, I think) and a second camera on the stream today.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:26 am
^ I think you'd be surprised just how popular the current ZC administration is within the ICC. They are very much viewed as the most stable ZC administration for a long time. The fact we've been given two mens world cup qualifiers in a row and a women's qualifier is a good example. Mukuhlani has been doing quite a lot of work as an ICC Representative on associate boards throughout Africa. If they can get ZC in line with other members boards with the push on women's cricket then they will try anything.

Don't shoot the messenger! I know it's utterly stupid, but then thats nothing new for the ICC.
Where do you get your info secret?

I've observed you often have some good oil on the inner workings/goss around town.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:29 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:26 am

Where do you get your info secret?

I've observed you often have some good oil on the inner workings/goss around town.
No one particular place. I just ask people! I went to school with a couple of fellas who went on to become first class cricketers - one is an active coach currently, the other (tries to) run a club team and was involved in running one of last years NPL sides - he also until relatively recently worked in the ZC head office for a while. Also the current women's head coach is the same young man who helped out with our school cricket team back almost 20 years ago when I think he was quite fresh out of school himself. I know a couple of people who work with two of the franchises currently as well. Then I've just got a few other mates who follow cricket as close as they can. If I wanna know something I just send some messages out to loads of people and annoy them until they answer :lol: Unfortunately they know I post here (A lot of people - admin, coaches, players - still quietly read this forum you know) so they don't tell me as much as they could :D

I have been wrong/my 'info' wrong many times on this forum though so please never take anything as gospel. Gossip in Zim is often people guessing/pretending they know/purposely lying to throw me off the scent :lol:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

In a good position. Come on ladies!!!! You can do this!

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Wow that’s absolutely heartbreaking. I really feel for them...

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

This is a very bad result for Zimbabwe - W, I don't follow women's cricket much but I know the teams making it to super 6 have some womens ODI league fixtures which Zim-W will now miss out on, unless they miraculously win either against Pak or Bang.