Zim Women's Cricket Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Tinah09

Re: Zim Women's Cricket Thread

Post by Tinah09 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:27 am
Tinah09 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:15 am
Cricket is the ideal sport for these situations. They could have simply upped their testing regime, established a bio-bubble, no fans, stream 100%. Do they forsee a time when covid19 won't be a factor? You adapt and learn to live with it. Funny how some of these teams are evacuating as if they are fleeing the Taliban, fleeing back to their home counties which are themselves experiencing over 5k covid19 cases per day
I agree with the sentiment behind this theory but really it’s not the teams fault is it? If their governments are banning flights what choice do they have? It’s not really about cricket.
I agree 100%, not the players or teams fault. It may be down to govts and sport administrators formulating policy based on fear and hysteria

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Tinah09 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:15 am
Cricket is the ideal sport for these situations. They could have simply upped their testing regime, established a bio-bubble, no fans, stream 100%. Do they forsee a time when covid19 won't be a factor? You adapt and learn to live with it. Funny how some of these teams are evacuating as if they are fleeing the Taliban, fleeing back to their home counties which are themselves experiencing over 5k covid19 cases per day
That's a top post mate. Agree a 100%.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Can't understand the reason for cancelling. Could easily have continued in a Bio Bubble.

This is daylight robbery to Thailand

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:22 pm
Can't understand the reason for cancelling. Could easily have continued in a Bio Bubble.

This is daylight robbery to Thailand
Have you been living under a rock? There’s no flights. Anywhere. Are you expecting these girls - some of whom from certain teams have other jobs back home - to risk being stranded here for months, in a country where their governments back home are telling them is apparently dangerous?

The way the west has treated SA and Zim is insane over this, but really considering that of course they had to cancel the cricket.

I don’t have any issue with the ICC cancelling the tournament or the teams wanting to leave.

The issue is how the ICC handled it and conspired to shit all over Thailand.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/six- ... 19-1291472

ESPN and Reuters a full 48-hours behind Zim Cricket Forums:
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:25 am
At least 6 members of the SL ladies team have tested positive for Covid. Their match vs Windies today has been abandoned.
This is the place to be for news haha. :lol: :lol:

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:47 am

Have you been living under a rock? There’s no flights. Anywhere. Are you expecting these girls - some of whom from certain teams have other jobs back home - to risk being stranded here for months, in a country where their governments back home are telling them is apparently dangerous?

The way the west has treated SA and Zim is insane over this, but really considering that of course they had to cancel the cricket.

I don’t have any issue with the ICC cancelling the tournament or the teams wanting to leave.

The issue is how the ICC handled it and conspired to shit all over Thailand.
But there was apparently enough flights to get all these teams home to their different countries so quickly?

I worked in travel for the last 5 years, so I'm quite familiar with the travel dramas, but let's not pretend like the countries couldn't have arranged flights for their teams when needed. Yes there is concern about the variant, and actions need to be taken, but this idea that you can't work around it is false.

Why are India still going ahead in SA? One thing for one and another for the other.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:36 pm

But there was apparently enough flights to get all these teams home to their different countries so quickly?
No, there wasn't. Some of the teams remain in Zimbabwe at the time of this post. Sri Lanka are still here in Zimbabwe now, trying to find flights - even for the non-infected players. Netherlands only left early this morning, after great difficulty, and have ended up going via about 3 different connections including Addis and Muscat at huge expense to the KNCB. Thailand were struggling to get a flight initially - they may have done so now, not sure.
I worked in travel for the last 5 years, so I'm quite familiar with the travel dramas, but let's not pretend like the countries couldn't have arranged flights for their teams when needed.
Congratulations for your career, but not sure how it's relevant to this. It's a nice idea that you think bankrupt cricket boards like Thailand or Ireland can afford to charter planes at the click of their fingers though.

You know as well as me that the useless ICC are the last people that would help these teams.
Yes there is concern about the variant, and actions need to be taken, but this idea that you can't work around it is false.
I agree 1000%. Don't get me started on how we and SA have been treated. The whole thing is an absolute joke. Of course you can work around it.

But it's hard for the ICC, the teams or the players, to work around it when the west is vilifying this part of the world and people are treating us like lepers. All because SA happens to have a few good scientists.

I don't blame the players for wanting to leave when their governments back home are shitting their pants and painting us as disease-riddled neanderthals. Racism if ever I saw it.
Why are India still going ahead in SA? One thing for one and another for the other.
I agree. The game is incredibly unequal - between genders, between top members and lower members, between members and associates.

But are you really comparing the Indian mens side with female associate semi-professional teams, many players of whom have careers outside of cricket back home and don't fancy being stuck the other side of the world in some supposed pandemic?

Come on, what did you expect? This is cricket we are talking about.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:20 pm

No, there wasn't. Some of the teams remain in Zimbabwe at the time of this post. Sri Lanka are still here in Zimbabwe now, trying to find flights - even for the non-infected players. Netherlands only left early this morning, after great difficulty, and have ended up going via about 3 different connections including Addis and Muscat at huge expense to the KNCB. Thailand were struggling to get a flight initially - they may have done so now, not sure.
All the more reason to not just abandon. If you can't get out why not continue the tournament in a secure bio-bubble, especially if you are stuck in the country. Yes, countries have closed borders, but you make like we've not been living with this for two years and countries can't have exemptions. They are basically stuck doing nothing when they could continue playing the sport. As it stands, this variant is not been proven to be more deadly, and it's not like the variant does not exist in European or asian countries. Less movement = less chance of transmission too.
secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:20 pm
Congratulations for your career, but not sure how it's relevant to this. It's a nice idea that you think bankrupt cricket boards like Thailand or Ireland can afford to charter planes at the click of their fingers though.

You know as well as me that the useless ICC are the last people that would help these teams.
It's relevant because you unjustly had a go at me, but in reality I probably know a lot more about the industry than you think.

Not once did I mention the cricket boards or the ICC. I said the countries. Governments are not excluded to this situation and could easily have worked with the cricket boards to get their citizens home.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:03 am
All the more reason to not just abandon. If you can't get out why not continue the tournament in a secure bio-bubble,

Well, half the teams did get out pretty instantly.
Yes, countries have closed borders, but you make like we've not been living with this for two years and countries can't have exemptions. They are basically stuck doing nothing when they could continue playing the sport. As it stands, this variant is not been proven to be more deadly, and it's not like the variant does not exist in European or asian countries. Less movement = less chance of transmission too.
I mean I agree. We agree on a lot here, in terms of they really shouldn't be reacting like this.

The variant is of course bollocks as is the virus largely, but hey, western governments and folk appear to think it's crisis time again and are hitting the panic button for whatever reason.

My point is that the ICC realistically has no choice and were forced to make the decision. None of the players wanted to stay. Obviously. They've got governments and family members back home telling them that southern Africa is a wretched disease-riddled place and they are all gonna die if they stay. Pretty much. And with flights closing and the potential for lengthy quarantines back home - you really think they'd wanna stay? You also keep ignoring the fact several of the teams are not full-time pros. Many of these girls have jobs back home. Are they gonna risk being stranded here, or worse, having to quarantine for several weeks when they get back? Ultimately some teams have ended up with that fate anyway. But you can understand them trying to scramble their way out as quick as possible. You're judging these teams as if they are mens Test sides with all the money and resources in the world.

The other we should note is that Sri Lanka ladies had at least 6 positive cases caught in the 'secure bio-bubble' and were likely to withdraw from the tournament (they forfeited their last game, even before the tournament was cancelled....) so there was a wider general loss of trust in the bio environment and the tournament compromised by one team having to withdraw.
It's relevant because you unjustly had a go at me, but in reality I probably know a lot more about the industry than you think.
You're so sensitive.
Not once did I mention the cricket boards or the ICC. I said the countries. Governments are not excluded to this situation and could easily have worked with the cricket boards to get their citizens home.
If you think the Dutch government or the Thai government has time, energy or fucks to give about their semi-professional women's cricket teams right now then you are, I'm afraid, rather naive. The cricketers will have got no more or no less assistance than any other citizens from their countries.

Most people on this forum don't even care about this thread or the situation, let alone governments lol. I somehow fancy governments to have bigger fish to fry...

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:38 am

Well, half the teams did get out pretty instantly.
The point is though, it could have continued if it was better managed.
secretzimbo wrote:
I mean I agree. We agree on a lot here, in terms of they really shouldn't be reacting like this.

The variant is of course bollocks as is the virus largely, but hey, western governments and folk appear to think it's crisis time again and are hitting the panic button for whatever reason.

My point is that the ICC realistically has no choice and were forced to make the decision. None of the players wanted to stay. Obviously. They've got governments and family members back home telling them that southern Africa is a wretched disease-riddled place and they are all gonna die if they stay. Pretty much. And with flights closing and the potential for lengthy quarantines back home - you really think they'd wanna stay? You also keep ignoring the fact several of the teams are not full-time pros. Many of these girls have jobs back home. Are they gonna risk being stranded here, or worse, having to quarantine for several weeks when they get back? Ultimately some teams have ended up with that fate anyway. But you can understand them trying to scramble their way out as quick as possible. You're judging these teams as if they are mens Test sides with all the money and resources in the world.

The other we should note is that Sri Lanka ladies had at least 6 positive cases caught in the 'secure bio-bubble' and were likely to withdraw from the tournament (they forfeited their last game, even before the tournament was cancelled....) so there was a wider general loss of trust in the bio environment and the tournament compromised by one team having to withdraw.
We don't agree on the virus being bollocks. I've just proven that there was a choice. You talk as if you had a chat with all the players and staff and got their opinions personally. I'm not saying some players didn't want to leave or so on, but the point I'm making is that a better managed event could have continued. Most of the time, players make the decision based on the confidence they get from the organisers and those in charge.

I'm not ignoring the fact that they are part time pros. You are making so many wild assumptions about me and claiming that I am assuming this and that when I am completely not. You are also adding in many words on things I have not said and claiming that I am saying that. Not really sure why you are having a go at me. I made a point and it was not a random point. It was founded in thought and was put forward as, "this could have been done".
secretzimbo wrote:
You're so sensitive.
No. I stand up for myself. There's a difference.
secretzimbo wrote:
If you think the Dutch government or the Thai government has time, energy or fucks to give about their semi-professional women's cricket teams right now then you are, I'm afraid, rather naive. The cricketers will have got no more or no less assistance than any other citizens from their countries.

Most people on this forum don't even care about this thread or the situation, let alone governments lol. I somehow fancy governments to have bigger fish to fry...
Not every government is ZANU PF. The assistance most citizens got have been charter or repatriation flights. Some government would actually get shit done.

Your whole thesis is based on assumption and generalisation. I understand the points you are making, but because you resort to certain other ways to make them, it loses impact.