Under 19s thread. Players and under 19 matches

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Tinah09

Re: Under 19s thread. Players and under 19 matches

Post by Tinah09 »

The Bennet brothers appear to be the real deal . This U19 team is going to surprise a lot of people

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Afghans were bowled out for 53 today in Aisa U19 game against Pak, however they did take 6 Pakistan wickets in the run chase.

May be a difficult pitch, but I think Afg, PAK batting might be vulnerable, both are in Zimbabwe's group.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Wesley Madhevere, Milton Shumba, Dion Myers(c), Luke Oldknow, Brandon James(w), Emmanuel Bawa, Tadiwanashe Marumani, Dane Schadendorf, Privilege Chesa, Tadiwanashe Nyangani, Samuel Ruwisi, Dylan Grant, Gareth Chirawu, Ahomed Rameez Ebrahim, Taurayi Tugwete

Here's the previous squad. Of these the main batters were
Madhevere, Shumba, Bawa, Schardendorf, Marumani and Myers as I recall. That's a decent line-up- of these Madhevere, Shumba and Schardendorf are now essentially professional cricketers, Myers should have been and Marumani runs it close. That's a pretty good result and shows what a good side this was.

I'd guess from the current squad the main batsmen are Saul, Welch, Bennett x 2, Wolhuter, Bawa. Its anyone's guess who might make some runs out of this lot.
On paper the previous squad looks much stronger, but they've been shortchanged with lack of preparation.
Bawa is probably a bit out of form, but he looked really sharp in the previous squad so he's quite a good benchmark for these guys- and so far Saul, the Bennet's and Welch have looked a bit more organised than him so these guys may yet surprise us. What they don't have is a Marumani to blast them out of trouble, and I'd think their bowling is below par.

Anyway its just a talking point, we will know soon enough.

Googly

Post by Googly »

What is interesting is the different levels in cricket. Marumani was a force to be reckoned with at u19 because the bowling was not as tight as men's bowling. You can get away with a bit of a lack of technique until you play international men's cricket, and then any chinks you may have become apparent, they work you out quick and you don't get too many freebies.

Bawa needs to find his form or make some changes or do whatever he needs to do to get back to where he was 18 months ago. He's the only guy so far that has gone to UK and doesn't appear to have made any progress, if anything he's potentially gone backwards a bit. They should look at some old footage and make some comparisons to what he's doing currently and see what he's doing differently.
Those Poms like their batsmen to set up one way only and his solution may be going back to what he's comfortable with. There's no absolute right way, it's whatever gives you rhythm as long as you're dead still at delivery and you're balanced. If he reads this- go back to what you did before, 3 scoring areas, don't try and hit the cover off the ball, rotate strike, keep the ball on the ground, runs will come.

Donald

Post by Donald »

I think in a 4/5 match series you would expect Zimbabwe to lose to Pakistan and Afghanistan and pretty convincingly with the former.
These small groups are like shoot outs. Pretty much all these sides will beat papa new Guinea. I think it's about applying scoreboard pressure and it can do funny things to sides. Welch and Saul should play how they did in the one game against namibia when they were scoring at like a 50/60 strike rate. Set up a base for the rest of the playing eleven. Last thing you want to see is 22-4 off 5 overs.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Did Marumani score many runs at the last World Cup?

Googly is saying there is a large gulf between U19 cricket and international cricket. But the gulf is even larger between associate U19 and internationals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

I guess this U19 WC presents an opportunity for England to scout and poach talent from its former colonies. Since they ditched the Kolpak system their national cricket team has devolved into a joke, the only way they can compete in the Ashes is if Australia fields purely an A team. As the WC concludes, expect a flurry of activity as England rushes to place any SA, Zim, Windies youngsters that can hold a bat into a pathway towards citizenship because their current county/academy systems cannot produce the level of talent required to compete against top test nations. Case in point, England are hyping up the Zak Crawley call-up as the saviour of the ashes. Zak has a massive average of 11 in tests this year, yet they expect him to overcome a venomous Aussie bowling attack that’s made their premier batsmen look like rank amateurs. The cupboard is indeed bare

Googly

Post by Googly »

That's an urban myth. The exact opposite is true. They have now made it extremely difficult for foreigners to play cricket in the UK. They have loads of their own extremely talented young players and have zero interest in poaching any youngsters.
The only young player who was completely ineligible that has had a clear run at it that I have ever heard of is Tawanda and he's had to play a poor card in order to do so.
He's playing in No Man's Land at present and there's no guarantee he will get a passport.
The only potential pressure they have is to be more inclusive.
Their openers are not doing well, but anyone who says Burns is shit doesn't know what they're talking about.
Of course they've still got Ballance in the wings, he's a fine player, but his nemesis was the Aussie attack.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:20 am
That's an urban myth. The exact opposite is true. They have now made it extremely difficult for foreigners to play cricket in the UK. They have loads of their own extremely talented young players and have zero interest in poaching any youngsters.
The only young player who was completely ineligible that has had a clear run at it that I have ever heard of is Tawanda and he's had to play a poor card in order to do so.
He's playing in No Man's Land at present and there's no guarantee he will get a passport.
Their openers are not doing well, but anyone who says Burns is shit doesn't know what they're talking about.
Of course they've still got Ballance in the wings, he's a fine player, but his nemesis was the Aussie attack.
Remember they changed their eligibility rules to allow Archer to qualify for the last World Cup. Who they perceived as a superstar in the making.
They will do it alright.

I think what they do though is make it hard for the average county level player to play. They don’t want to accomodate first class players. They want Pietersen level players.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:20 am
Im sure England have talent but it really hasnt been converting. I mean Ollie POpe is a demon in county but hes been underperforming significantly. I dont understand why. I mean fair enough he`s young and he can come good soon but like TInah said, Crawley and Sibley among others dont really strike me as representing a solid English cricketing pool. by the way Im obviously referring to test. In odi and t20, England are miles ahead of everyone