Under 19s thread. Players and under 19 matches

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Re: Under 19s thread. Players and under 19 matches

Post by Donald »

Prosper seems to be getting his excuses ready for the under 19 team. Lack of preparation lack of international cricket. Sounds defeatist from the start

Googly

Post by Googly »

Where are you seeing that? Thats not something you want the team to be reading. In terms of time and money this team have been massively short changed and there's 4 or 5 really good players here. How do you justify spending less than 10% on this team compared to previous squads? Covid is a poor excuse.

Watch the next squad, my doomsday prediction of school cricket is finally upon us. Years of neglect and shocking decision making, which was somehow sustainable is no longer the case, we've just passed the tipping point.

Googly

Post by Googly »

@Tinah
And yet big names continue to sign up with Counties for their 4 day, one day and T20 cricket?
Where does a southern hemisphere cricketer now play his winter cricket? I'm not sure you understand how this game works.
What "hype" are you talking about?
I'd say getting out of Dodge is more of a priority than you care to acknowledge. Perhaps one sixth of our population now live in the diaspora. If that's not statistically significsnt then you're confused. If diaspora money is one of your top 5 forex earners I'd suggest you live in a failed state, but lets hear your spin.
SA is full of Zimbabweans that can't get to England, that's the reality.
That's not a terrible team incidentally. They're being well beaten and can't ever seem to get to grips with Australia in Australia, but that same team will likely beat Australia in English conditions.
If its wasting your time, why not turn the TV off instead of gloating about it. Its a strange old game, English seamers need to bowl fuller and two more batsmen need to come to the party and it will be competitive. And they need to play a spinner, my preference is Ali.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:23 pm
@Tinah
And yet big names continue to sign up with Counties for their 4 day, one day and T20 cricket?
Where does a southern hemisphere cricketer now play his winter cricket? I'm not sure you understand how this game works.
What "hype" are you talking about?
I'd say getting out of Dodge is more of a priority than you care to acknowledge. Perhaps one sixth of our population now live in the diaspora. If that's not statistically significsnt then you're confused. If diaspora money is one of your top 5 forex earners I'd suggest you live in a failed state, but lets hear your spin.
SA is full of Zimbabweans that can't get to England, that's the reality.
That's not a terrible team incidentally. They're being well beaten and can't ever seem to get to grips with Australia in Australia, but that same team will likely beat Australia in English conditions.
If its wasting your time, why not turn the TV off instead of gloating about it. Its a strange old game, English seamers need to bowl fuller and two more batsmen need to come to the party and it will be competitive. And they need to play a spinner, my preference is Ali.
Ali unfortunately retired dint he? Bess needs a proper run

Googly

Post by Googly »

Eeish, ya should have remembered he'd retired from Test cricket. Sorry.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Googly wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:04 pm
Where are you seeing that? Thats not something you want the team to be reading. In terms of time and money this team have been massively short changed and there's 4 or 5 really good players here. How do you justify spending less than 10% on this team compared to previous squads? Covid is a poor excuse.

Watch the next squad, my doomsday prediction of school cricket is finally upon us. Years of neglect and shocking decision making, which was somehow sustainable is no longer the case, we've just passed the tipping point.
Hi Googly.
It was a news report yesterday. It says Zimbabwe under 19s brace for World Cup as headline. It makes for depressing reading. I'm sorry I can't copy and paste as on my phone. You should be able to Google if you type Zimbabwe bwr cricket and then look under news items.
The language used seems very defeatist from the start to my eyes and looks like getting excuses in early

Googly

Post by Googly »

Zimbabwe bwr cricket?
I'll take a look, just doing a Secret Santa.
Merry Xmas to my shamwaris, the other 5 can get fucked.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Googly wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:56 pm
Zimbabwe bwr cricket?
I'll take a look, just doing a Secret Santa.
Merry Xmas to my shamwaris, the other 5 can get fucked.
That's a typo on my part. Apologies 😂😂😂

Merry crimbo Googly

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

andrewn9 wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:00 am
I've been following English cricket for over 30 years, and in that time there's always been players born in other countries who've found themselves in the England team. 7 out of 11 must have been a one off if you've remembered correctly cos it wouldn't regularly be that high. As an Englishman I wouldn't want it to get out of hand but I accept it represents a modern, first world, modern country. But again I wouldn't class players like Strauss, Prior, Stokes, Roy, etc as 'imports'. They all learnt their cricket in the UK from a young age.
I will take a stab and say it was 2013.
I remember thinking Biy Craig kieswetter who is the episode of the non English Englishman.
He went to celebrate with SA after they won matches in the WC. Stayed with the saffees to party etc.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:17 pm
andrewn9 wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:00 am
I've been following English cricket for over 30 years, and in that time there's always been players born in other countries who've found themselves in the England team. 7 out of 11 must have been a one off if you've remembered correctly cos it wouldn't regularly be that high. As an Englishman I wouldn't want it to get out of hand but I accept it represents a modern, first world, modern country. But again I wouldn't class players like Strauss, Prior, Stokes, Roy, etc as 'imports'. They all learnt their cricket in the UK from a young age.
I will take a stab and say it was 2013.
I remember thinking Biy Craig kieswetter who is the episode of the non English Englishman.
He went to celebrate with SA after they won matches in the WC. Stayed with the saffees to party etc.
Yeah, that's fair enough about Kieswetter. Afrikaner (and Scottish heritage) and qualified through residency. As I've said though, the overseas born England players are a mixed bunch, there's no identikit version.