Who should be on that flight to Sri Lanka?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
lobsang

Who should be on that flight to Sri Lanka?

Post by lobsang »

The last time Zimbabwe toured Sri Lanka, they clinched the ODI series 3-2 and almost won a test match in Sri Lanka if it was not for Gunaratne and co. And there was no Brendan Taylor but Solomon Mire and Cremer played a vital part. The current Sri Lanka team is way more beatable than the one Zimbabwe won an ODI series over so the big question is who should be on that flight to Sri Lanka?

Muzarabani, Raza, Sean Williams, Craig Ervine, Burl, Chakabva, Madhevere, Shumba, Ngarava and Wellington are almost certain to be on that flight regardless of their current form.
Last edited by lobsang on Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

lobsang

Re: Who should be on that flight to Sri Lanka?

Post by lobsang »

And Kaitano seems to have the temperament to be successful in ODIs, he was in good nick in Pro50s, scoring runs at a reasonable strike rate so I would love to see his name too on this tour. PJ is not that bad, he is a valuable asset with Taylor being gone permanently and I think ZC should give him the assurance that he is in their plans. Remember he was part of that successful tour to Sri Lanka so why not bring him?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

we lack spin uleh.

Cremer was a huge thing that series.
Unless Burl takes his spinners to the next level we are in trouble.

But you know what? It is possible.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'd like to see Evans get the nod. He's going to be a decent all-rounder.

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

I think spin will not play as big part in ODI as it plays in test matches in the subcontinent but it is for sure that the Lankans will do everything to beat Zimbabwe since there is much more at stake this time. Hopefully Williams and Raza, the best players of spin in Zimbabwe team in my opinion, will come good this time around with other batters chiping in with reasonable contributions.

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

Googly wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:32 am
I'd like to see Evans get the nod. He's going to be a decent all-rounder.
I had a one to one conversation with Brad Evans, asked him if he has the ambition to play for Zimbabwe and his answer was " I absolutely has the ambition to play for Zimbabwe but I am injured at the present"

Googly

Post by Googly »

He had an ankle operation, a complex repair of a torn ligament. I'd think he's probably 90% fit by now. He'd probably struggle in a test but would be OK for 10 overs shortly. He's been a bit unlucky with stop start covid and this injury in the first game. Watch when he bowls in tandem with another good bowler, he takes wickets, and he has enormous talent with the bat, way more than our other seaming all rounders. He just needs to figure out how not to play get out shots at inopportune times. That's the Zim curse, but I think he can figure his game out and become a really good player.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

My list of 20 players, accomodating Covid-19 and injury-unforced absence

Williams (c)
Ervine
Raza
Chakabva (wk)
Burl
Kaitano
Marumani
Shumba
Madhevere
Campbell J
Madande (wk)
Masakadza W
Mavuta
Masuku
Muzarabani
Ngarava
Chavhanga
Mumba
Nyauchi
Chatara

Based on pro50 stats and having reasonable performances in past ODIs

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

As per Sri Lanka is concerned they will have the services of world class Hasaranga, Dhananjaya, Chameera, Kumara from that 2017 series against Zim.

Hasaranga has become world class now, and new sensation Asalanka, Rajapaksha, Shanaka, Karunaratne have taken out Sri Lanka from their down phase. Micky Arthur has done great work and things were improving but he left.

It will be interesting if Sri Lanka bring back Kusal Mendis & Gunathilaka who has been in impressive form in recently held T20 League. Dickwella might get missed out as he failed after return from ban

Googly

Post by Googly »

He also had the benefit of being in a good cricketing environment growing up, went overseas, played decent club and county and is obviously committed to Zim as his passport prevents him from going elsewhere. He ticks a lot of boxes. He actually got shortchanged at school and batted down the order as a bowler when he should have batted at 5 or 6. He played in good junior teams that had good batting line ups and in my view was short changed in the batting dept, he should have been given way more opportunities and we wouldn't be having this conversation, he'd be set up as a dead cert and not having to find a way in.

Private school sides try and find room for everyone so sad parents don't stop donating. :lol:
If you're a batsman then you don't do much bowling, and vice versa.