Northerns Vs Southerns (Sri Lanka Pre-Camp)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Northerns Vs Southerns (Sri Lanka Pre-Camp)

Post by zimlover »

Tinah09 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:33 am
For those unaware, the Schadendorf revisionism is nothing new. In 2006, the Zimbabwe U19 cricket team capture international headlines by thrashing a Tim Paine-led Australia U19 team and finishing 5th at the World Cup. A Zim U19 batsman in the team named James Cameron happened to be a Uk passport holder and a county immediately offered him a contract. The articles covering this story referred to Cameron as the “best player in the Zim U19 team”, “Cameron orchestrated the demolition of Australia U19”, “Zimbabwe’s best player”. All to justify signing a clearly inferior player best in mind Chigumbura and Panyangara bowled Australia out for 70, Taylor smacked 2 centuries and Craig Ervine and Sean Williams performed well. Yet these pesky inconvenient facts were conveniently left out of articles. There is exaggeration and obfuscation and then there outright LYING. Painting these UK passport holding U19 players as the “best” players in Zim U19 teams is a shameless, obvious lie.
I agree with this statement, absolutely spot on. I remember this vividly

Googly

Post by Googly »

What unsubstantiated Anglophile nonsense is being spoken on this forum? . Just address me directly because I appear to be the only one trying vainly to explain how good their systems are. Please stop twisting words. I never once said there were millions of superior players in the UK. Please highlight where I said that and I will keep quiet.
Once again- I pointed out that if you have a few hundred players in one camp vs a million in another statistically the million camp will produce better players practically every time. If you can't understand that simple concept then this is heavy going. There are exceptions to every rule and Tawanda is a great one. He doesn't hopelessly outclass the numerous other really good players in England his age, not by a long shot. He had the best season that year and he's an enormous talent, but he's one of a handful of really good young batsmen. I'd hazard a guess there are quite a few 20-22 year olds on the circuit that have already done better than him so far, so your argument holds no water whatsoever. When you leave the hero cult of school cricket you enter the realm of pro cricket and and you're with the big fish, they don't give a fuck about schoolboy reputations. Hopefully he gets his breaks and delivers when it counts. People without an argument love to jump on an anomaly to prove their points.
Sure he had a good grounding here. Being in national age group sides and being coached 3 weeks of the year by an assigned Zim coach is not what made him a good player, by the way.
It's the coach who put in the hard yards throughout the years at school here that got him that scholarship that deserves a lot of the credit. Do you know who that is as a matter of interest?
Then there was the coach at Eastbourne who clearly helped him immensely as well. Then there was the 70 games of mostly high quality school cricket he played in those two years, then throw in some decent club cricket and a few County Two's games that he had to make him a much better player than he would have been had he stayed here and played 10 games against St John's, St George's and Falcon.
Unfortunately they are way ahead.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Who is painting the UK passport holders as the best players in the Zim teams?
I didn't. I said Myers was.
If you're talking about James Cameron that's another matter, I never read those, but I'd be interested to if you have a link.
I've actually watched Cameron play 4 times in club cricket, he's a helluva player and cheeky like a wolf.
Why would a county get a sports journalist to write an article that would help them justify signing a player?
They don't need to justify anything to anybody.
They probably signed him ahead of the other Zimbabweans because he held a passport and because he was damned good. Signing a 19 year old Zimbabwean with no pathway to a British passport other than a 7 year wait doesn't make sense. They wouldn't sign a 19 year old as an overseas player either because there's a queue of rhe best players in the world wanting to play County.
Your anti British feelings run deep. Seek help

Donald

Post by Donald »

Lost track of this thread for a while. Thought it was about Sri Lanka warm ups 😂😂😂

Googly

Post by Googly »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cam ... cricketer)

I just looked him up. He studied in Australia and during his 4 years there he did damned well in Grade cricket, which is why Worcestershire signed him, nothing to do with his u19 record, so as usual your facts are upside down.

Donald

Post by Donald »

15-2 Kaia and ervine out both out to Chatara

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Quite a few players in the announced squads not getting a single game is quite disappointing. Unless they are amongst the rumoured Covid cases.

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

Lovely to watch Chatara move the away from right-handers from that behind-wicket-keeper camera. I think he is still valuable asset to the team, he can really move( swing) the ball. Kaitano really looks very organized and there is a great potential that he could do well at the top which Zimbabwe desperately needs.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

Googly wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:51 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cam ... cricketer)

I just looked him up. He studied in Australia and during his 4 years there he did damned well in Grade cricket, which is why Worcestershire signed him, nothing to do with his u19 record, so as usual your facts are upside down.
He was offered a contract in county cricket based on his performance at the U19 World Cup before opting to pursue studies

Donald

Post by Donald »

Kaitano looking very good again.

Looks a different player to the obdurate one in the test. Very free flowing and has all the shots. Few pulls off muzarabani and a delicate dink off Chatara and a lofted on drive.
Unlike a few others previously mentioned Kaitano being selected is a result of meritocracy and hardwork.
Looking forward to seeing him out in Lanka. Think he deserves a few series to show what he can do.