Northerns Vs Southerns (Sri Lanka Pre-Camp)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Northerns Vs Southerns (Sri Lanka Pre-Camp)

Post by CalZim »

Not saying Wellington can’t bat, he has definitely shown himself this last year or so. Batting against Sri Lanka in bowler friendly conditions is a different kettle of fish.

I just wish that Mumba was a better bowler so that he could take the number 9 spot.

Jongwe will do for now I suppose.

Kaitano
Chakabva
Ervine
Williams
Madhevere
Raza
Burl
Masakadza
Jongwe
Muzarabani
Ngrava

Feel for Shumba, but who would you drop??

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:37 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:32 am
If we definitely want both Raza and Burl in the team, may I suggest that instead of dropping either Jongwe/Masakadza, we might be better off leaving Shumba out? I just feel 7 and 8 are too low for Raza/Burl, but 6 and 7 not so bad.

This feels like his weakest format and he isn't in outstanding form. It's harsh on him though. Unless he goes and gets a big score today.

Either way it's good that we have so many options in the lower-middle order and we are having this debate. If we had as many options at the top order as well then we'd be in a good position.
This makes more sense. Even as much as I hate to say it Wes. Who is in form should play. We need some back up on the bench anyway. They are young, it won't be the end of the world for them.

Wellington seems to be ready finally. I trust him more with the bat than Jongwe right now.
Yeah I agree, I think in Sri Lanka you gotta play both Raza and Burl bearing in mind the slow and sticky nature of the tracks in Asia, Raza bowled brilliantly on that tour in 2017. And this time around, Sri Lanka will definitely be not complacent at all in my opinion, it must still be fresh on their mind that they lost a series against Zimbabwe on their backyard plus there is World Cup super league points on the line.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

CalZim wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:39 am
Not saying Wellington can’t bat, he has definitely shown himself this last year or so. Batting against Sri Lanka in bowler friendly conditions is a different kettle of fish.

I just wish that Mumba was a better bowler so that he could take the number 9 spot.

Kaitano
Chakabva
Ervine
Williams
Madhevere
Raza
Burl
Masakadza
Jongwe
Muzarabani
Ngrava

I think this is the eleven I would go for in the first game. Happy for Shumba to come back in for match 2 or 3 depending on how anyone else does.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

The teams as solid as it could be right now. Good to see.And I agree Shumba should be kept out just for now.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Jongwe is a liability IMO. In is hayday he was probably a guy who could average 20 maybe albeit at a healthy strike rate perhaps. But now he's half the batter he was. And his bowling is far too inconsistent. Shumba would be a much better pick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:24 am
Jongwe is a liability IMO. In is hayday he was probably a guy who could average 20 maybe albeit at a healthy strike rate perhaps. But now he's half the batter he was. And his bowling is far too inconsistent. Shumba would be a much better pick.
In that case, you are proposing we only play two seamers?

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Maruma and Mutombodzi have really been legends of the domestic scene. to turn up for so many years must be respected. Pity it never worked on the international scene and one just wonders what life after cricket will be like for them.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Tari running drinks onto the field. Oh how he has fallen. Can't get a game at this level nowadays.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:45 am
CalZim wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:39 am

Kaitano
Chakabva
Ervine
Williams
Madhevere
Raza
Burl
Masakadza
Jongwe
Muzarabani
Ngrava

I think this is the eleven I would go for in the first game. Happy for Shumba to come back in for match 2 or 3 depending on how anyone else does.
I agree, ZC should view the substitutes ( 4/5 players outside the playing XI) as an investment. With our big three being 35+ years old, we need to have their ready made replacements in the picture, touring with the team getting a game here and there. Hence having Shumba, Marumani, young wicketkeeper and a young bowler in the squad will be beneficial. It’s a waste of money involving the Maruma and Tiripano because they have no long term future with ZimCricket. I’m actually surprised Maruma isn’t joining Tiripano in British club cricket this summer

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

Kaitano, Wesson, Mutombodzi and Madande all got good starts only to lose/throw their wickets away when they were set. This is a serious issue which ZimCricket must solve if we want to win series