World Test Championship 2021-23 : Bangladesh V/s New Zealand [ 2 test ]

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: World Test Championship 2021-23 : Bangladesh V/s New Zealand [ 2 test ]

Post by Kriterion_BD »

The bowling was a lot better than the figures suggest. I think a total of at least 12 genuine edges went through the slips and gully region. Thats about 50 runs right there. Plust 8 overthrows :shock: off Ebadat's bowling.

All in all a frustrating day. Ebadat had Latham out lbw twice in his first over but both times were overturned by DRS. Just one of those days. Law of averages too...almost everything went right the previous 5 days so we were bound to have a day or two where everything goes wrong.

The pitch is actually deceptively flat. Already starting to turn brown. Hopefully, we can pick up a few wickets and then bat ourselves to safety.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

I'm not watching the game but relying on cricinfo. The posts spoke badly about Bangladesh's fielding & at the end of day 1 said Latham "rode his luck". If we recall Ebadot's last day spell, a catch was dropped then he bowled Taylor & Nicholls. No relying on fielders.
Mohammad Naim must be the worst test selection in Bangladesh's history (that's saying something). Good luck on him he has a test cap & for the rest of his life can access prestigious places.
And sure he was part of the T20 campaign, so part of a national setup, but he hasn't played first class cricket since February 2020.
There's a reason why Mominul is not in the t20 setup. He doesn't meet the national criteria. This should be the reason Naim should not be part of the test setup. But he is young. Hope he recovers & has a prosperous career. Crikey, it may happen in their 2nd innings.
But any one of Rajkumar's selections would have made more sense. Struth that hurt typing THAT sentence.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

cricket_22001 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:03 am
I'm not watching the game but relying on cricinfo. The posts spoke badly about Bangladesh's fielding & at the end of day 1 said Latham "rode his luck". If we recall Ebadot's last day spell, a catch was dropped then he bowled Taylor & Nicholls. No relying on fielders.
Mohammad Naim must be the worst test selection in Bangladesh's history (that's saying something). Good luck on him he has a test cap & for the rest of his life can access prestigious places.
And sure he was part of the T20 campaign, so part of a national setup, but he hasn't played first class cricket since February 2020.
There's a reason why Mominul is not in the t20 setup. He doesn't meet the national criteria. This should be the reason Naim should not be part of the test setup. But he is young. Hope he recovers & has a prosperous career. Crikey, it may happen in their 2nd innings.
But any one of Rajkumar's selections would have made more sense. Struth that hurt typing THAT sentence.
Yeah Naim's selection may be the worst in our history ever. First class average of 16 and hasn't played a match in years. But one man won't make or break a match very often.

We are 27-5 after NZ piled on 500+ declared. I really thought it was a flat pitch...but the BD quicks just couldn't swing the ball, and unlike Tauranga, there is no reverse here. We didn't really swing the ball all that much in the last game either...just reversed it a lot which the NZ bowlers couldn't do.

1-1 will be great result for us either way, but losing by an innings will really leave a sour taste in one's mouth.

Hoping Nurul, Yasir, and Mehidy can score some runs here and take us to at least 200.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Kiwis haven't found any 150+ kph pacer in test format after the retirement of Bond. They have Lockie & Milne at current set up but are hardly seen playing the longest format.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:24 am
Kiwis haven't found any 150+ kph pacer in test format after the retirement of Bond. They have Lockie & Milne at current set up but are hardly seen playing the longest format.
THey dont really need one do they? India dont have one either. Even Aus doesnt

Rajkumar Sharma

slcricfan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:35 am
Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Yup they needs this time as they are going to play few test in sub continent where reverse swing going to play a role.Boult, Southee, Kyle Jamieson took wickets in tests against India but haven't looked threatening. Bowling with old bowl is an art where a pacer needs to have some pace to make it talk.
India has two, Umran Malik & Prasidh Krishna in domestic. Don't know about the Aussies.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:39 am
slcricfan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:35 am
Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Yup they needs this time as they are going to play few test in sub continent where reverse swing going to play a role.Boult, Southee, Kyle Jamieson took wickets in tests against India but haven't looked threatening. Bowling with old bowl is an art where a pacer needs to have some pace to make it talk.
India has two, Umran Malik & Prasidh Krishna in domestic. Don't know about the Aussies.
Aus have like Meredith but hes still raw. I think the current attck is good, they just need to develop their skills to match Bumrah, Shami and the rest.Jamieson did well in India though. More than the bowling, its the batting which needs work. NZ collapse in India and Australia

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Complete shit show from Bangladesh, this is where they allow their critics to get all over them.

Absolutely fine in losing and drawing the series 1-1 as long as you've put up a good fight in the 2nd test, but this performance has been abysmal so far.

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

NZ will be tested at home first & that's by South Africa. They have a crap record against the Saffers & haven't beaten them since 2004. That means for the entire Ross Taylor career, they haven't beaten them. They also haven't played them since 2017 which helped their cause to the test championship.
I know the SA batting is suspect but their quickies could have a field day in NZ as their batting will need some strengthening from Williamson. He actually has a good record against SA.
Regarding Oz quicks, please don't mention Billy Stanlake. I've never seen such a protected species produce so little. I know he's tall, spindly & subject to injury but surely at 27 he's grown into his body by now.
Funny how it's only pacers with real pace can make it talk in the sub continent. I seem to remember players like Imran Khan, Kapil Dev, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younus, Richard Hadlee all reducing their pace as they got older & having a bit of success in the sub continent. Must be one or two other I can add to this list.

Rajkumar Sharma

cricket_22001 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:24 am
NZ will be tested at home first & that's by South Africa. They have a crap record against the Saffers & haven't beaten them since 2004. That means for the entire Ross Taylor career, they haven't beaten them. They also haven't played them since 2017 which helped their cause to the test championship.
I know the SA batting is suspect but their quickies could have a field day in NZ as their batting will need some strengthening from Williamson. He actually has a good record against SA.
Regarding Oz quicks, please don't mention Billy Stanlake. I've never seen such a protected species produce so little. I know he's tall, spindly & subject to injury but surely at 27 he's grown into his body by now.
Funny how it's only pacers with real pace can make it talk in the sub continent. I seem to remember players like Imran Khan, Kapil Dev, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younus, Richard Hadlee all reducing their pace as they got older & having a bit of success in the sub continent. Must be one or two other I can add to this list.
Yes. Kapil, Hadlee, Botham did'nt had tear away pace but what made them best against Thomson, Dennis Lillee, Holding, Bob Willis was the ability to swing the bowl both way and hitting that zone regularly where batters found uncomfortable. Imran started as medium pacer, got injured then become quickest in that 80s era, where he had one of the Viscious indippers till he reduced his pace in 90s to prolong his career. Waz had health turned bulky towards end of his career. For proteas, Polly was more threatening then Donald or Fanie de Villiers