Sri Lanka Tour: Squad Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Sri Lanka Tour: Squad Announced

Post by zimfan1 »

Serious question. Does Hamilton have a formal role in selection?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Not sure tbh. The last time we had any public mention of the selection panel, it was Mutendera, Utseya, Ewing and Makunura - last summer. But then there was talk after Ireland/Scotland that Hamilton was 'planning to reshape the selection policy' whatever that means.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

I heard that PJ did not make himself available for selection. Playing as an overseas player as qualifies for Ireland in the next few months.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimfan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:45 pm
I heard that PJ did not make himself available for selection. Playing as an overseas player as qualifies for Ireland in the next few months.
Qualifies in October I think, just in time for the t20 world cup, although Ireland are hardly a certainty to qualify.

Oh well. He's hardly set the world alight the past two seasons - 18th highest run-scorer in the Pro50 I believe. Probably time to move on. Reduces our depth though, which is a problem.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Tinah09 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:00 am
Who the hell is this buff guy behind Wessly? This guy looks more like rugby player!!
ZC doesn't give the players ZC branded luggage/trunks on tours???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:59 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Qualifies in October I think, just in time for the t20 world cup, although Ireland are hardly a certainty to qualify.

Oh well. He's hardly set the world alight the past two seasons - 18th highest run-scorer in the Pro50 I believe. Probably time to move on. Reduces our depth though, which is a problem.
I wonder what his reasons are for picking Ireland over Zim. I can only wish him well. After seeing Regis rise and become a permanent fixture in the team I thought PJ would give it a try as an opener too. BT going has also opened a huge gap in the team. I am sure he has his reasons.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:02 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
zimfan1 wrote:

I wonder what his reasons are for picking Ireland over Zim. I can only wish him well. After seeing Regis rise and become a permanent fixture in the team I thought PJ would give it a try as an opener too. BT going has also opened a huge gap in the team. I am sure he has his reasons.
Ireland is no dreamland - reading some of their local media recently - a lot of allegations about disciplinary goings-on amongst players during their ill-fated T20WC. Financially they are struggling perhaps as much as ZC and they have similar nepotism problems at board and admin level supposedly. And even fewer fixtures than us! We are a huge mess but they aren't much better.

But I mean, I can see why he'd leave. We all know the problems with ZC, although relatively okayish by our standards at the moment, we are never more than a month away from another crisis. We have a coach that all the players publicly hate. He doesn't have a national contract anymore so the money is shit.
He's not getting in ahead of Regis anytime soon, so he's got to work his way in with the bat, and he's shown himself to be incapable recently with mixed form. Yeah, he's better than Mutombodzi. But 18th in the Pro50 runs. Didn't do great in Ireland last year either. There's a lot of bad blood between him and ZC and they are never gonna pick him unless he's topping the run scoring charts and making himself impossible to ignore. Ireland is a much easier option for him.

I wish him well but I don't respect him for taking the easy option and trying to represent a country he has little association with. There are several articles and interviews online where he talks of his undying passion for Zim and patriotism. That his only life ambition was to represent his country.

I think ultimately he has realised he isn't as good as he was five years ago so is trying his luck somewhere a bit easier. It's a shame because we need the depth and some good back up options, but I'm completely over him. I reckon if his name was Panashe Moyo instead of Peter Moore, nobody would care so much.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Was shaping up to be a good test player but we don't play many tests 🙄🙄🙄

Hasn't done much in one day matches for zim

Still a shame when anyone leaves but really be wasn't an automatic shoe in at any time

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:35 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:02 pm
secretzimbo wrote:

Ireland is no dreamland - reading some of their local media recently - a lot of allegations about disciplinary goings-on amongst players during their ill-fated T20WC. Financially they are struggling perhaps as much as ZC and they have similar nepotism problems at board and admin level supposedly. And even fewer fixtures than us! We are a huge mess but they aren't much better.

But I mean, I can see why he'd leave. We all know the problems with ZC, although relatively okayish by our standards at the moment, we are never more than a month away from another crisis. We have a coach that all the players publicly hate. He doesn't have a national contract anymore so the money is shit.
He's not getting in ahead of Regis anytime soon, so he's got to work his way in with the bat, and he's shown himself to be incapable recently with mixed form. Yeah, he's better than Mutombodzi. But 18th in the Pro50 runs. Didn't do great in Ireland last year either. There's a lot of bad blood between him and ZC and they are never gonna pick him unless he's topping the run scoring charts and making himself impossible to ignore. Ireland is a much easier option for him.

I wish him well but I don't respect him for taking the easy option and trying to represent a country he has little association with. There are several articles and interviews online where he talks of his undying passion for Zim and patriotism. That his only life ambition was to represent his country.

I think ultimately he has realised he isn't as good as he was five years ago so is trying his luck somewhere a bit easier. It's a shame because we need the depth and some good back up options, but I'm completely over him. I reckon if his name was Panashe Moyo instead of Peter Moore, nobody would care so much.
Do you have links for the Irish stuff. Thats very very suprising that they have disciplinary issues and nepotism

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

zimfan1 wrote:

I don't see what he's going to achieve playing for Ireland, that he couldn't in Zim colours? will donning the green make him a better batsmen than the guy who could even make the top20 batsmen in the pro50? On current form he wouldnt even make a Zimbabwe A team! Does this mean he now has a British passport and is eligible to join a county? Is he even good enough to do so, if county cricket really is home to the "bestest" cricketers in the world as we are made to believe. He had a great start to his international career especially in tests, at one time he was an interim-captain for some reason he lost form and never got it back.