2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Re: 2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Post by Donald »

Afghanistan have got clearance to go to carribean on the 12th of January. However both their warm up matches have been cancelled so they will be going into the Zimbabwe game cold.

Gotta believe we can do it. Today's game against Bangladesh was a step up and something many haven't experienced. It's a good wake up call also if you put a positive spin on things.
I can't see us doing much against the 6'9 Pakistan bowler bowling fireballs so go hard or go home.

Hopefully welch gets a game on sunday. Go hard or go home Zimbabwe 👍👍👊👊👊

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Seniors playing at 11 on Sunday and the kids at 4. Busy day of cricket! At least the Warriors aren't playing on the same day as well!

Googly

Post by Googly »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:08 pm
any updates? I don't see us getting close. Saul had a start, which I'm relieved about because I rate him. Once again DB should have opened with Taruvinga. Batting order is everything.
I don't think Saul played, surely he's still in quarantine?
So who got 39? My money is on Bawa.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Catching Afghanistan cold and then demolishing PNG. They do have a chance but I have always had my doubts about the quality. We will see. Sunday is a big day

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:50 pm
Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:08 pm
any updates? I don't see us getting close. Saul had a start, which I'm relieved about because I rate him. Once again DB should have opened with Taruvinga. Batting order is everything.
I don't think Saul played, surely he's still in quarantine?
So who got 39? My money is on Bawa.
It's saul got 39
https://twitter.com/ZimCricketv/status/ ... 5ClUA&s=19

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Better call Saul then.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

That was disastrous. Such a pity there's no footage. I wonder how other sides have done? This must be the worst u19 wc coverage ever.

I'm curious about the Afghan visa issue?
Did we need visas? Zimbos usually require visas for any country outside of Africa, it's not an easy passport to hold.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Weird that Saul played, but the other three Covid boys still didn’t? And I reckon Bawa must have injured himself inbetween the toss and the start.

As for the Afghan visa issues - their issue was a U.K. transit visa as they were flying via there. Considering they were delayed for such a long time I’d have thought they’d attempt a different route, but can’t be easy considering the Afghan political situation I guess.

Googly

Post by Googly »

This is why age group cricket is so important. Zim has missed out on that SA Coca-Cola week for about 2 years I think. This is the only really competitive cricket we are exposed to. We've had teams in the past that have done well against their provincial sides. That one team with Matigimu, Welch, Curran, Curtis, Murray etc would have beaten their national age group side, they were a serious age group.
Up until about u16 we used to hold our own, but from there the gap widens. They used to have that Standard Bank league down there that greatly benefited their top schoolboys.
ZC just seem to treat these u19 World Cups as a box ticking exercise and you're only giving the players a realistic chance of measuring up if they can play at least two tournaments prior to the WC. I know there was covid and all that crap, and some sides are similarly under cooked, but I'd like to see how other sides were prepared for this tournament before its decided that the playing field is level.

Googly

Post by Googly »

In fact I'd like to know when Zim last went to that Coca-Cola week. I think it's perhaps even 4 years. There was a time when we went down there with two or three teams.
You reap what you sow!!