Pro50 Championship Thread 2021-22

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Pro50 Championship Thread 2021-22

Post by secretzimbo »

tej_27 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:33 am
Is Compton Zimbabwean qualified or plays completely as overseas professional ?
Overseas.

Stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zkw0QJ ... bweCricket

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Nice to see Malcolm Chikuwa getting a rare franchise game btw. One of the better people in Zimbabwean cricket. Single handedly organises and coaches cricket in about half a dozen primary schools around Chitungwiza, often for no pay. Also the guy that first really coached and identified Shumba and Marumani I believe.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I know I'm kicking this to death, but this is Div2 club standard. Nyauchi ran in hard and Masara (?) bowled well. The seamers all bowled wicket to wicket, what happened to 4th stump. Compton just picked them off without breaking a sweat, yet everyone else struggled. I think he was troubled by 2 deliveries, it was a cake walk for the guy. You bowl directly at a decent batsman at 130 he's going to get a ton four out of five times just tucking it onto leg in singles, risk free cricket. At least pack the leg so he has to do something different.
The guy with real ability with the bat is Evans, all the time in the world and really good technique, but I'm not sure the guy has a clue how to do a run chase. He visibly beats himself up after a poor shot, sweeps when he doesn't need to, goes aerial when he doesn't need to, tries to hit the cover off it when he doesn't need to, doesn't retain strike when he needs to, so many little things. If they wanted to groom a really nice batsman they need to make him bat 3 so he's got time to construct an innings. On top of that tell him if he hits one shot in the air he's fired, and to put away the sweep until he's on 100. He was head and shoulders the most capable batsman on the park apart from Compton. These guys are blind if they can't see that. This standard is so shit you could teach Evans to become a front line batsman onfield in a season, he wouldn't even need to net.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Mountaineers win, and secure their place in the final. A dead rubber coming up on Friday. The final is on Saturday.

Yeah I watched quite a bit of it today and it really wasn't great. Massive drop in quality when the national squad guys are away - I think around 6 or 7 were missing, plus PJ who has an injury. These part-timers that stepped in represent a massive drop in quality. Compton couldn't even get a game in County last season. Here he is absolutely dominating our List A season...

Disappointing because I've enjoyed the quality of most of the games this season. The early Logan Cup rounds in particular, I thought there was quite a lot of quality on show.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There are many of this caliber of player in these county squads, really solid cricketers that know their games, have 3 scoring shots and rock solid defence. They won't take the game away from you in a few overs, like the real gun guys can, but they'll make solid runs. I'm not meaning him specifically because I haven't seen him put the hammer down, he was starting to, but then played his only stupid shot, I'm sure he can change gears successfully. I don't know where he usually bats either, he looks like an opener for sure. Although that turned out to be a nearly a run a ball hundred it was actually a very conservative innings, he got a few real buffet balls that he was quite conservative with and I didn't see any shots down the ground which is usually a good indication of a confident bat, but I'm sure he wanted his hundred and needs some good stats to show his County, plus he clearly knew he was the only proper batsman in the side. If there was ever an easy hundred on offer this was it.
These counties are brutal, they have their favourites that can fuck up many times and continue to get picked and if you're not one of them you need to make it count if you get a start. I'll be following him this coming season, I like the way he sets up shop.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

Googly wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:41 pm
There are many of this caliber of player in these county squads, really solid cricketers that know their games, have 3 scoring shots and rock solid defence. They won't take the game away from you in a few overs, like the real gun guys can, but they'll make solid runs. I'm not meaning him specifically because I haven't seen him put the hammer down, he was starting to, but then played his only stupid shot, I'm sure he can change gears successfully. I don't know where he usually bats either, he looks like an opener for sure. Although that turned out to be a nearly a run a ball hundred it was actually a very conservative innings, he got a few real buffet balls that he was quite conservative with and I didn't see any shots down the ground which is usually a good indication of a confident bat, but I'm sure he wanted his hundred and needs some good stats to show his County, plus he clearly knew he was the only proper batsman in the side. If there was ever an easy hundred on offer this was it.
These counties are brutal, they have their favourites that can fuck up many times and continue to get picked and if you're not one of them you need to make it count if you get a start. I'll be following him this coming season, I like the way he sets up shop.
As much as I hate to admit it. You are right, the gulf in class is obvious, Compton would be by far our best batsmen if he played for Zim...does he play for a 2nd team in the counties? if so, damn, we aren't good enough to play England and other top sides. Will we ever be competitive with the way things are going??

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:41 pm
If we are being fair we know the gulf in class between our first maybe 20 players and the rest is huge. By my count only 8 guys who played yesterday have played for the senior team of which only 2 of them were playing against Compton. Chibhabha and K-Long. The rest of them hmmm. Ngarava would have made it interesting but Jakiel, Mufudza, Takodza and Chikuwa are from good enough against somebody like Compton or even our best batsmen.

Fair enough Evans and Chivanga were there and are close to the national team but even they are probably at club level for now. I'm sure Ervine, Williams, Raza could have scored big against these guys too

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

This where I end up agreeing with the 3 domestic teams concept. The top 30 players were in camp and producing interesting matches last week. There was a genuine feeling that the games were competitive for me. That's enough for 3 teams. Those are probably the guys who really deserve to be professional cricketers plus maybe 5 more

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

In fairness though, Compton has played 16 tests for England.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:02 am
In fairness though, Compton has played 16 tests for England.
Hehe you know it’s not the same Compton don’t you?! :D