Future tour rumours

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
lobsang

Re: Future tour rumours

Post by lobsang »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:41 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:24 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:52 pm
I'm happy that WSL is getting scrapped.

1) There absolutely no point in having a league where there is no control over the opponents you play. Sone teams get all tough ones while some get relatively easier fixtures.

2) Not all ODIs are part of this league, so South Africa's 3-0 win over India, doesn't count towards any WSL points.

3) It's a joke that the host nation, who directly qualify for the WC, are still part of this 'qualification pathway', the results of which have no consequence for them. Only ICC is capable of such genius thinking. 😎

Afghanistan look likely to gain a direct qualification to 2023 WC, I'm saying this looks very realistic now folks, more so because I'm sure not all series' of this WSL will be completed and it will get down to % points. Afghans may well have higher numbers as they've played weaker opponents first up and did not slip up.

I'd rather have normal bilaterals over this WSL crap.
It's a brilliant idea but badly executed. The format, for reasons you mentioned, is pretty bad. But it's a great concept in theory and I'm gutted we are losing it.

It has guaranteed regular fixtures for the likes of Zim, Ireland, Netherlands etc. We've got series with India and Australia upcoming because of it. The Netherlands will play more ODI's against full members in 3 years than they have in their previous 100 years, for example. But in the next cycle, without the super league, they will probably play 0 again. Zim and Ireland will struggle for fixtures too, as usual. Afghanistan probably will struggle for fixtures too as no one will be keen to organise bilaterals with them after the Taliban takeover.

Also, endless 5 or 7 match bilateral series with no real meaning or context aren't that exciting. Fighting for points in a league table is. It adds real significance and context to our upcoming Netherlands series for example. Usually, no one would care about Zim-Ned matches, but it's a great chance to pick up points and ensure we don't finish 13th.

It's a shame the larger nations haven't taken it seriously. And it's a shame the fixture list and format is flawed. But it's an even bigger shame that it is being scrapped altogether imo.
Absolutely SZ, great concept without a doubt but very poorly executed, and as you rightly said the bigger teams haven't taken it seriously at all.
The bigger teams would not take it ( WSL ) seriously for the sole reason that they are going to qualify to play in the tournament proper one way or the other. There are no scenarios such as you have only 8 or 10 games and out of which 5 or 6 games are like must wins. yes for teams like Zimbabwe, West Indies, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Ireland and Netherlands there is a lot on the line. Bigger nations like Australia, India and England will not give a shit.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:53 am
The problem for Afghanistan is that after us I think they got Pakistan, Australia, Bangladesh, India and Sri Lanka. They just started with the easy fixtures. I think you need more than 100 points to qualify so if they don't whitewash us it will be tough.

This is why also sending a weak team to face us is not an option for them
Its going to become % of points instead of total points due to so many series being cancelled. The other option is using 2023 to finish all the cancelled series but even then I don't think all the teams will be able to play all their reqiured series. Because the completion of the WSL will determine which teams play in the qualifier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

lobsang wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:53 am
A player ( not going to name) who was on that recently-concluded SL tour told me that the Afghanistan series is not happening so the rumours that are doing the rounds could be put to rest for the time being.
Yep, can confirm now. Afghanistan are not coming. 100%

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

When is our next fixture then?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:22 pm
ODIs and T20Is Vs Ireland in April I think.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Good for Sikki and Blessing at least.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:28 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:22 pm
ODIs and T20Is Vs Ireland in April I think.
I thought they were playing Afghanistan soon?

Or has that been delayed again?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Afghanistan officially postponed, as previously expected.

https://zimcricket.org/zimbabwe-and-afg ... pone-tour/

It's just complete bollocks again though isn't it. ZC have meekly offered 'lack of DRS equipment availability' as a reason. :lol: :lol: :lol: All of our home fixtures over the past two years have had No DRS.

Afghanistan's own series last week with the Netherlands had no DRS.

What's the betting that whenever this series does eventually happen, there definitely still won't be DRS anyway! :lol:

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

The ICC haven't yet released info about Group A T20 WC Qualifier that is scheduled to happen next month. Obviously Zim are in the other group but we are almost into Feb and there is no update.

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:21 pm
The ICC haven't yet released info about Group A T20 WC Qualifier that is scheduled to happen next month. Obviously Zim are in the other group but we are almost into Feb and there is no update.
https://www.insidesport.in/t20-world-cu ... om-feb-18/