Why do we never play Namibia?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Why do we never play Namibia?

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Seems weird to me, that a team literally over the border with no political issues, who are equal (or almost equal) in skill to us are twiddling their thumbs with no cricket, as are we.

Isnt this low hanging fruit? They could drive there in a bus at low cost.

Yes I know there was that select tour that had teens but that was a pisstake.

A good 5 game +3 t20 series in a dead time wouldnt hurt. At least a reduced version as aw arm up to another series.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Re: Why do we never play Namibia?

Post by secretzimbo »

Multiple reasons.

The biggest is finance. A touring party with staff is 20 people. Flying them to any other country, no matter how close, putting them in hotels and feeding them plus tour allowances (although ZC don't often bother to pay them anyway :lol: ) etc does add up to quite a bit. On our massive ICC funding we should be able to afford a handful of these non-FTP tours each year, but of course do you expect ZC to really fund something they don't need to? Our problem is we have almost zero commercial revenue. We have no value to broadcasters, and we have very few (low value) sponsorships. Once we've organised the domestic season, our FTP stuff, and paid all the big boy salaries and the various other shady 'expenses' that TM and GM claim, there's not a huge amount left from the ICC budget presumably.

The other very stupid thing is that, from Namibia's perspective, playing an official T20I vs Uganda or Kenya is significantly cheaper than hosting one against Zimbabwe. Despite the status being the same, when a Full Member is involved, I understand there are more stringent player regulations in place and this involves flying out an ICC ACU Official or two from Dubai and also hosting and paying for them. Not required when both teams are associates. Remember Namibia's budget is much more limited than our own.

There's also probably an element of not wanting to be seen losing to an associate. Although we did go to Scotland and it wasn't that long ago that we played Singapore, so I'm not sure if thats the case.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

We absolutely should be playing them more though.

We complain that bigger nations don't play us enough. Well, we can't be hypocrites, and we need to play nations smaller than us too from time to time.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Also, to be honest, Namibia cricket has in my opinion emerged as a decent serious force over the last 3-5 years, so maybe we never noticed them. I also think ZC, CSA, and Namibia should focus on partnering in the U23s development. Play each other a lot at this age group to smoothen the transition from U19 to the senior sides. Cost wise I am not too sure, but the 3 nations can work together to improve their future players.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

How are Namibia doing in ODIs and First Class cricket?

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

I can get the lack of $$ being a limiting factor to overseas tours, but as ZD pointed out, this is at most a 6 hour bus ride, reasonable hotels in Namibia are cheaper than Zimbabwe where a struggle 3 star establishment charges Palm Beach rates. A travelling party of 15 players and 5 staff. No Rajput coz he’s never around anyway, Hami and other fat at suits can sit this one out, they can take the opportunity to pen more vitriolic press statements against Streak and Taylor. I think a 1-2 week tour is affordable

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

The attitude is probably very much 'We will come and play you, but you've got to pay for everything'.

It was the same about 3 years ago when ZC went out formally to all the associate boards (including some pretty low ranked ones as well....I'm talking Jersey, Bermuda etc) and said "we'll come and give you a big series with a 'Full Member' but we aren't paying a single penny for anything. You know where to find us if you want."

Singapore were the only biters of that particular cherry. Everyone else told them where to fuck off to.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:05 pm
The attitude is probably very much 'We will come and play you, but you've got to pay for everything'.
BINGO!!! Yeah, didn’t y’all get the memo? Our ICC grant is for upper management to procure the next batch of top-of-the-line SUVs not facilitate this pesky cricket tours

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:36 am
How are Namibia doing in ODIs and First Class cricket?
Just finished a series with Ireland A in Windhoek. The List A series was drawn 2-2 with a washout, and Namibia won the T20s 2-1 I believe.

Surprisingly, Namibia were playing a very strong side with many of their national teamers from the T20 world cup (Frylink, Trumplemann, Erasmus, Smit, Baard, Williams).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

The Irish managed to play a proper sub national team and still drew the ODI series away from home. Namibia might be a bit like Afghanistan...only decent at the shortest format but don't have the skill for anything longer than 20 overs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)