T20 World cup qualifiers: format change

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

T20 World cup qualifiers: format change

Post by Kriterion_BD »

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/t20- ... kVstcDaolQ

this news seems to have just broke. I didn't understand all the nuances, but the main takeaway seems to be a shorter tournament with far fewer games. Each 8-team tournament will be over in 1 week (5 games total per team - 3 group, semi-final, final).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: T20 World cup qualifiers: format change

Post by secretzimbo »

Old. This was announced a couple of months ago.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

It's a shit change btw. Yet another squeeze on the amount of cricket played by small full members and the associates. And splitting the qualifier into two loses the feeling of a 'major tournament' that the big global qualifier had.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:56 pm
It's a shit change btw. Yet another squeeze on the amount of cricket played by small full members and the associates. And splitting the qualifier into two loses the feeling of a 'major tournament' that the big global qualifier had.
On the contrary this actually helps the smaller associates who's players are fully amateur. No one's boss will approve 3 weeks leave to play cricket. 1 week and they can probably manage. A shorter tourney also allows for smaller teams to go further with just one or 2 good games.

In the end the real reason was cost cutting. The article says this format saves USD 250,000 just on hotel fare alone.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:13 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:56 pm
On the contrary this actually helps the smaller associates who's players are fully amateur. No one's boss will approve 3 weeks leave to play cricket. 1 week and they can probably manage. A shorter tourney also allows for smaller teams to go further with just one or 2 good games.

In the end the real reason was cost cutting. The article says this format saves USD 250,000 just on hotel fare alone.
I put my money on Zimbabwe finishing 3rd..
Not sure who is going to get paid though 🤔 lol

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Zim needs to stop racism, qouta system and include Peter Anthony Moor, Crompton, Nil Gubbins, Kurran, Michael Lake, Berneet brothers and few 140kph bowler in form of Kevin Bowie, Deeplock, Falalu & Dubey

Want to see Davids Poltart in ZC administration
Robo to rule :oops:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Lol I tried to watch the streaming on Icc.tv this morning - what a shambles. So the global qualifier used to be full broadcast standard, as good as the world cup or anything.

Now it's like they have contracted in ZC to stream it. 1 or 2 cameras, poor quality, a commentator who sounds as excited as a dead warthog, no graphics, no speed gun, no DRS, replays that are out of sync and showing the wrong things. One of the games went completely down for over an hour with just a blank screen.

The ICC continually downgrading everything for those outside the top 8. They aren't fit for purpose. What a disgrace. Cricket is going backwards.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:25 am
Lol I tried to watch the streaming on Icc.tv this morning - what a shambles. So the global qualifier used to be full broadcast standard, as good as the world cup or anything.

Now it's like they have contracted in ZC to stream it. 1 or 2 cameras, poor quality, a commentator who sounds as excited as a dead warthog, no graphics, no speed gun, no DRS, replays that are out of sync and showing the wrong things. One of the games went completely down for over an hour with just a blank screen.

The ICC continually downgrading everything for those outside the top 8. They aren't fit for purpose. What a disgrace. Cricket is going backwards.
I can understand your frustartion but the only solution here would be for ICC to fund a broadcast themselves. But no one in either Phillipines or Canada really cares about cricket. Canada has a lot of cricket fans but they mostly support their native teams (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc).

It would the equivalent of if FIFA broadcasted the SAARC football tournament when all the teams involved suck. And there are way more football fans in those countries than cricket fans in any of Bahrain, Scotland or Phillipines.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I just looked at the Phillipines squad...not a single Filipino surname (eg Garcia, Fuentes, Cruz). No one in Manila is going to even be aware that their team is playing.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I guess Williams, Raza and Ervine shouldn't be in the Zimbabwe team. How dare they have a non Shona surname.