Domestic T20 Thread 2022 | 24th-30th March

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Domestic T20 Thread 2022 | 24th-30th March

Post by secretzimbo »

https://twitter.com/ThreeMenOnABoat/sta ... 68/photo/1

Finally.

Do you think they might dust off the shipping containers and get those floodlights out next?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I have to say this week has all been very concerning.

There's been some exceptionally low quality cricket on display at times. There's also been odd selections, weird bowling choices, strange batting orders, questionable body language, and the whole thing feels very village. It seems like a boozers competition. Proper end-of-season vibes and the players are already thinking about winter (and several seniors haven't even bothered to play at all of course).

It's disappointing. I've watched huge amounts of the Logan Cup and Pro50 streams this season and I've felt the quality has been decent and players have been visibly taking domestic cricket seriously. Some of the Logan Cup games when everyone was available were really good and things felt like they were on an upward curve.

But this T20 week has been shit.

It's very alarming when we have qualifiers and a world cup in this format this year. There's very little to suggest we will qualify on the basis of what I've seen this week. And frankly we don't deserve to, when we continue to treat this format like a bit of a laugh and joke.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I was saying to a mate in Zim that the standard of the LC seemed high. He watched a fair few games at HSC over a few beers and he said the standard hadn't been that high since the inaugural season of the franchises in 2009. He said it's had early 2000's vibes, which was really nice to hear. It was really good to see a lot of young lads playing, like Wez, Shumba, Madande, Evans and doing well too.

But I agree, of what I've seen from the T20, it looks piss poor.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Also heard through the Ryan Murray is still interested in Zim

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:42 pm
I have to say this week has all been very concerning.

There's been some exceptionally low quality cricket on display at times. There's also been odd selections, weird bowling choices, strange batting orders, questionable body language, and the whole thing feels very village. It seems like a boozers competition. Proper end-of-season vibes and the players are already thinking about winter (and several seniors haven't even bothered to play at all of course).

It's disappointing. I've watched huge amounts of the Logan Cup and Pro50 streams this season and I've felt the quality has been decent and players have been visibly taking domestic cricket seriously. Some of the Logan Cup games when everyone was available were really good and things felt like they were on an upward curve.

But this T20 week has been shit.

It's very alarming when we have qualifiers and a world cup in this format this year. There's very little to suggest we will qualify on the basis of what I've seen this week. And frankly we don't deserve to, when we continue to treat this format like a bit of a laugh and joke.
I agree, the standard has been pretty poor. No tactics just wild slogging like you see in club cricket. I’m very disappointed.

Saying that the mountaineers have played some good cricket. Their lineup has been decent, especially the bowling! Good to see that Tiripano is now being played more as a batsmen as well, he hardly bowled. Nyauchi top of the wickets again :D

I was hoping to be able to select an international squad after this tournament but I’ve got no chance, the games aren’t going to affect selection because it seems no one cares.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Madande looks a bit special I've got to say. Matty Welch has a long way to go but the way he played in that tournament left me very impressed.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Also got to give big praise to Victor Nyauchi. Proving he's a bit of a force when the ball swings

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:23 pm
I was saying to a mate in Zim that the standard of the LC seemed high. He watched a fair few games at HSC over a few beers and he said the standard hadn't been that high since the inaugural season of the franchises in 2009. He said it's had early 2000's vibes, which was really nice to hear. It was really good to see a lot of young lads playing, like Wez, Shumba, Madande, Evans and doing well too.

But I agree, of what I've seen from the T20, it looks piss poor.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/log ... -scorecard

This one was a cracker, enjoyed every minute watching it. Some world class pace bowling on display, mainly from Masuku/Jongwe and Ngarava/Chivanga. Ervine showing his superior class throughout. Madande hitting a maiden century in the face of some of the most intense sledging and intimidation I've seen, courtesy of Ngarava and especially Chivanga, who I'm surprised didn't get some sort of reprimand. Some really intense cricket and apparently there was significant 'afters' off the pitch later that involved some players having to be physically separated in the Taka bar afterwards.

In comparison, It's disappointing that the season now feels like it is petering out on a low. Nobody cares about T20 cricket in Zim, not even the players. :cry: :cry:

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Hopefully the Northerns/Southerns games are better. This has always been our weakest format. Qualifying actually isn't guaranteed.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

They've moved the men's final to Saturday, without saying why. Presumably in the hope of attracting more than about 10 people to the ground to watch.