State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: State of SA

Post by sloandog »

The level (and amount) of talent within the South African FC system is unreal. They have a way way way wider talent pool than NZ, Oz and Pakistan. It's all about harnessing it. They'll be more successful than England because they tend to pick guys who have been hardened by the FC red ball game.

I'm thinking of guys like Pieter Malan, Rassie, Erwee and even Keegan Peterson. He's 29 I think? He's scorer heavily for nearly 3 years and now it shows on the international stage.

I think they'll trounce England this summer. Especially with the nasty bounce Jansen extracts and the pace of Nortje and Rabada. Ngidi has settled into a world class seam bowler who bowls a heavy ball, too. They've got a lot to be excited about...a lot! They are starting to create a settled, young test side now that Faf, AB, Kallis and Amla have moved on

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

Potentially a bit of a rogue one but what's you guys thoughts on getting Dewald Brevis into the internationally arena soon? He has been picked and been playing for Mumbai in the IPL, did decently without being amazing in the CSA T20.

What I'm really scared with regards to Brevis is that he just doesnt play any First Class and then subsequent Test match cricket for SA, instead choosing to play the T20 Franchise route.

With regards to van Tonder, he is a brilliant young talent also but has had a pretty rough season this year so I completely understand why South Africa did not choose him and went for Rickleton instead as that wouldve been the only place that they would have considered debuting him i believe.

Mulder is slowly coming on I feel. As outstanding slipper, his bowling is useful enough to be an option and the batting is slowly getting there. With his age of just 24 considered it is absolutely clear why Boucher and co are persisting with him and im fully on board with them doing so.

Harmer and Maharaj are just on cloud 9 atm. Harmer's action is just beautiful to watch, loads of arms almost like something out of the subcontinent and then vicious turn and bounce. Maharaj's 80odd he scored was great fun to watch.

Particularly enjoyed the Bangladeshi's flight from the CSA social media pages throughout the second test after they all clamoured and hollad after the first test for sledging and apparent cheating.

My biggest props however again goes to Dean Elgar, he absolutely owns the captaincy role so so well. Why they initially though de Kock was a better fit is besides me. The team seems to be fully behind him and playing as a unit for the first time since 2018.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Brevis today hit 4,6,6,6,6 in an over by Rahul Chahar. I happened to see it and it was mighty clean hitting. He hit them miles.

Dewald Brevis is surely one for the future. I hope IPL riches dont spoil him. I personally feel they've spoiled a lot of our young talented indian players.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

An 18 year old playing IPL with less than 20 domestic matches under his belt definitely has minimal interest in being tied down by the demands of international cricket.

We are actually slowly moving in the direction of other sports where club/franchise games will be played more than international games. The IPL and other top leagues will slowly get longer and longer until they get to the point where they employ players full time like other sports . Give it 10 years. It's a sad reality

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Yes, that's exactly why I hate all these T20 leagues, sad reality indeed, no matter what you and me wish for. :|

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:29 pm
The level (and amount) of talent within the South African FC system is unreal. They have a way way way wider talent pool than NZ, Oz and Pakistan. It's all about harnessing it. They'll be more successful than England because they tend to pick guys who have been hardened by the FC red ball game.

I'm thinking of guys like Pieter Malan, Rassie, Erwee and even Keegan Peterson. He's 29 I think? He's scorer heavily for nearly 3 years and now it shows on the international stage.

I think they'll trounce England this summer. Especially with the nasty bounce Jansen extracts and the pace of Nortje and Rabada. Ngidi has settled into a world class seam bowler who bowls a heavy ball, too. They've got a lot to be excited about...a lot! They are starting to create a settled, young test side now that Faf, AB, Kallis and Amla have moved on
I don't know about Pakistan. HEaps of Pakistani quicks come in with barely any experience and then bowl absolute magic before disappearing again. But yeah, SOuth Africans are just ridiculously talented. Things should only get better surely as the black population moves into the middle class? The bowling lineup will be tough to pick. Especially the choice between Harmer and Maharaj. I feel the safer option is Harmer but Maharaj has stayed loyal to the system and taken more wickets. WIll be interesting. Also, will Markram come back in?

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

But jeez, in just about 3 yearsish South Africa will be realistically able to win world cups again

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

South Africa's challenge is still to find some good colored batters. There is still no one who has truly replaced Hashim Amla and perhaps even JP Duminy.

Keegan is still just tests, Bavuma is punching above his weight but he is already well over 30. Who else?

Even the all rounders, Pretorious, Mulder, Parnell are all whites.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

How good is David Bedingham! It is such a shame that South Africa have to deal with this transformation system. I mean why can't we just follow merit?

We can't be doing something wrong to correct something wrong done years ago.

I agree with Sloan, Proteas produce incredible talent. It is perhaps in their domestic set up or good grass root level development.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Brevis looks like an absolute gun