1st ODI Zimbabwe v Afghanistan

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: 1st ODI Zimbabwe v Afghanistan

Post by TapsC2 »

Donald wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:20 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:31 pm
We are finished guys. I'm sorry to say it but I see it clearly now. At every level. The board , coaches and players. All of them. Useless bunch. They don't deserve the money they are on. All of them. It's only a matter of time now.

I was at the game live today for a few hours. The fans are there but there are disgruntled. The energy is extremely negative when you actually get to talking and hearing what people are saying. Yes they will celebrate a boundary or a good shot but everybody is asking the question now..
How did we get here?

These guys are not going to last long. Mark my words. Everybody can see clear as day who the problem is now.
and who is the problem?
It's a systematic problem so the leaders of the system have to be changed. The next election is going to be key. They haven't realized it yet but the SRC realized that's the only place they can fight them and there will be a fight next time out.

The fans in general are extremely disgruntled at everybody including the players. The number of times I heard people say " these guys (the players) earn so much money" yesterday made me realize that people blame them too. Their salaries are open secrets. It would be interesting to do a comparison of player salaries from the West Indies down to Namibia and the Netherlands. I wouldnt be surprised to find some of our guys earn more than their counterparts from Afghanistan and Ireland. They also need to look in the mirror and ask themselves are they earning that money. Most of them act like it's just another day in the office. No passion. That is annoying people in a country where most people earn peanuts

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

They have to start importing players soon. Its so clear. Especially if Williams doesn't come back

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I agree with Taps, Zimbabwe cricket is not coming back to life unless some drastic measures are taken, importing players who are lost to county cricket and change in ZC management are the only two options.

The current set of players, barring a few like Blessing and Shumba are not good enough, of course may be Raza but he is already 36, same for Willo and Ervine, so got to look beyond them.

Moreover the depth is non existent.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:14 am
It's a systematic problem so the leaders of the system have to be changed. The next election is going to be key. They haven't realized it yet but the SRC realized that's the only place they can fight them and there will be a fight next time out.
This makes me nervous and it may be a case of ‘careful what you wish for’. If it’s as messy and as brutal as the last elections and last SRC battle then it could finish us off.
The fans in general are extremely disgruntled at everybody including the players. The number of times I heard people say " these guys (the players) earn so much money" yesterday made me realize that people blame them too. Their salaries are open secrets. It would be interesting to do a comparison of player salaries from the West Indies down to Namibia and the Netherlands. I wouldnt be surprised to find some of our guys earn more than their counterparts from Afghanistan and Ireland. They also need to look in the mirror and ask themselves are they earning that money. Most of them act like it's just another day in the office. No passion. That is annoying people in a country where most people earn peanuts
This season the national contract guys have been very handsomely paid according to all sources. On time too. I think there’s only about 13-14 of them on full contracts but ya it’s pretty openly known that they are the best salaries Zim cricketers have ever had other than BT and Jarvis.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:14 am
Donald wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:20 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:31 pm
We are finished guys. I'm sorry to say it but I see it clearly now. At every level. The board , coaches and players. All of them. Useless bunch. They don't deserve the money they are on. All of them. It's only a matter of time now.

I was at the game live today for a few hours. The fans are there but there are disgruntled. The energy is extremely negative when you actually get to talking and hearing what people are saying. Yes they will celebrate a boundary or a good shot but everybody is asking the question now..
How did we get here?

These guys are not going to last long. Mark my words. Everybody can see clear as day who the problem is now.
and who is the problem?

If you know something. Don’t post it because this place gets watched. We can only hope though.

ZC have one silver bullet here.More like a bronze bullet because it won’t transform completely, but an ace on the hole no less. That’s to entice the diaspora.

Somehow, Zimbabwe the country has still managed to produce talented cricketers. They just don’t choose ZC for all the reasons we have spoken about here over the last 20 years that Raj the pig keeps reminding us as if we are unaware.
However, we have the Bennett brothers emerging. We have talented players who haven’t cemented themselves overseas but have shown glimpses of talent. Welch, Byron, Milton, Gilchrist, Higgins, the shittier Curran and Ballance is still out there in the bad books but international caliber.
We can get all these players alongside Ervine, Willo, Raza, Blessing and we all of a sudden have a semblance of depth and will emerge above the associates. We would have proper depth to cope with a succession plan on the older players and get through the next 5 years after.

At present, we are pretty much par with associates and when our big three bats retire in the next 2 years we are not only going to be associate level, but on the mid tier of associates. Let that sink in.

The difference though between us, Namibia and Ireland is we have trips that we can all if we make it a mission

I’ll happily do it!
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

True. The one thing I'm sure Hami has noticed is "playing lots of cricket" will not make these guys any better if they were never good enough in the first place. The guys are playing maybe 3x the matches they used to play. There is literally no break for these guys this time around. They are going to have played cricket for 18 months straight by the end of the next domestic season.

After the season you play North/South games then you are in Nepal, the next you are playing Namibia, then NPL, then Afghanistan. Its an action packed schedule. Nobody can say they are rusty. Its worked for somebody like Innocent Kaia but the majority of them have show no sign of improvement. They just aren't international standard.

You will notice the team that lost the last 2 games to Namibia was made up of 6 or 7 guys who lost in Nepal. They will probably go to the West Indies too later this year and get slaughtered again. Something needs to change. I don't blame them anymore for making an exception for somebody like Myers.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Well to be fair, you can't expect results instantly from the lengthy domestic season. We need seasons like this consistently year after year after year and eventually we might see it helping a bit.

Guys the damage was done years ago. The failure of the team right now isn't because of Hammy or the board's actions over the past 12 months. It goes back years. We've had years of disaster at all levels and now finally we are seeing it absolutely destroy the national team. These things take time to filter through. We are suffering now because of the past.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:15 am
Well to be fair, you can't expect results instantly from the lengthy domestic season. We need seasons like this consistently year after year after year and eventually we might see it helping a bit.

Guys the damage was done years ago. The failure of the team right now isn't because of Hammy or the board's actions over the past 12 months. It goes back years. We've had years of disaster at all levels and now finally we are seeing it absolutely destroy the national team. These things take time to filter through. We are suffering now because of the past.
Yeah I`m all for more cricket. Keeps them from getting rusty, allows them more experience which is always better and keeps players motivated. Doesnt more cricket mean more money?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Only for the centrally contracted guys plus their match fees.
Club and NPL no one gets paid.
Franchise there's pay as you play and those on a 4-6 month contract plus match fees.

All our international games appear to cost us millions if that's to be believed.

Googly

Post by Googly »

When I said a while back that we were in shit I was dubbed the doomsayer by every single person on this forum and yet here we are, maybe 2 years late, but the covid scam delayed it. It's not pretty. For the first time a few people have stared into the cricketing abyss and realised we've got nothing in the tank. It's been obliterated and it's incredibly tough to resurrect with all the will, ability and money in the world. We have none of the above. Our players dubbed the "futures of Zim cricket" are decent enuf, but they're not superstars, starlets or whatever. They're just run of the mill good cricketers that will not reach their full potential in this environment.

This new secret and as yet untried method of playing more games is not going to work. We are going to get scrubbed this whole season and then there's going to be some head scratching and pointing of fingers. Covid cant be an excuse because everyone had to pretend it was going to end the planet and start kneeling and it helped ZC not hindered them. Hopefully they don't give up on all these games as a waste of time and money because they're great and necessary, but they're only one piece of what's now an almost impossible jigsaw.