Gary ballance bombshell switch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Gary ballance bombshell switch

Post by CholeZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:58 am
Well knock me down and call me Susan. It is happening, 100%

:o
Exciting times mate :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

I recall Atherton commentating and he had a bit to say which didn't help. He's a toned down version of Boycott. Once you're in his and Nasser Hussein's gunsights the writing is on the wall, they've got pull those guys.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:35 pm
So how does our side look with Ballance in the team?

Not to mention, the bowling dilemma we now have. All of a sudden guys have put their hand up.

I think pitch style personally will need to factor into selection decisions. On a fast pitch we have enough spin part timers to compensate for Wellington for instance.
I cant split evans and Ngarava.

That said, all things neutral, ill take a stab. White players are bolded as some people like to monitor the consequences of that.. including ZC,

1. Ballance
2. Regis (w)
3. Wes
4. Willo
5. Raza
6. Burl
7. Ervine
8. Wellington
9. Jongwe
10. Evans
11. Blessing
-
12 Ngarava
13 Shumba
14 Marumani
15 Nyauchi

Have I missed anyone?

I dont think we can persist with chatara even when fit unless injuries. Too old, slow and not a bat.
Now there should be real competition for places, everyone trying to up their game and be part of the excitement that comes from winning the games. A few wins and we are already witnessing capacity crowds again. Keep race and politics out of it ZC!

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:36 am
Interesting times ahead. We'll have a world class batsman in the side. If he's there in time for Australia don't forget it was their seamers that undid him. Either he'll be in a hurry because hes got some unfinished business there or he'll be happy to dodge that tour :lol:, but if youre a player of his caliber thats the ultimate test isnt it?
He hasnt played for a long time. I watched him the other day and he looked really scratchy and rusty, but that will change in a heart beat. I can't remember exactly but his technique was found wanting. I'll YouTube and Google now, but I think he had a back and across trigger and some technical flaw that was not holding up to the scrutiny of 150. In fairness nobody on the planet is comfortable with that pace, its just downright ugly and dangerous. I'd bet he's fixed it, but it's what ultimately ended his England career. I recall he also had a couple of really unlucky dismissals which compounded his woes.
In my view he should have been kept on, he's got the most beautiful hands, such good touch.

It would have been doubly interesting if Taylor was still around. I don't think they'd have been talking to Ballance if Taylor was still in the mix, but if they had that would have really changed the complexion of our batting line up.
I remember thinking Ballance was such an ugly looking batsman technique wise. Looked like a tail ended that could bat a bit. Just aesthetically.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

If it happens in time for T20 WC then nothing like it! But i think they are targeting more from next year's WCQ perspective. I won't be surprised if Melton also is in the frame by that time.

Yes, it will give Zimbabwe a fair shot at the Qualifiers. Ireland have looked very competitive as well. One thing is for sure, whichever test teams (read top 10) fall into the qualifier, they are going to have it really tough.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ok I recall- he's got that deep back and across trigger with a bit of a floating front foot. Alistair Cook also has that floating front foot. It's an interesting technique, has a lot of merit if you do it well.
Against Australia he was late in coming forward to the fuller deliveries, especially after a couple of short ones that were really keeping him pinned on his back foot. They had his number that tour, basically.
He's amazing square through off, one of the best cutters in the game.
I've been watching some highlights, jeez hes a good player!

Hes getting some heat from the Pakistanis and Indians on the various groups, but of course they can say what the hell they like to each other with no repercussions whatsoever. You'd think he'd at least be getting cheers from the Indians :lol:
Generalisations are not great but the Pakistanis in particular are not wild about black or white folk either. They are mono-cultural to the extreme, but of course will throw their arms up in the air in feigned indignation if they're spoken badly to/about outside of their own country. Seems to be standard operating procedure these days.
It's a continuous barrage against one another with some outrageous shit being publicly thrown around, but let a white guy use that P word just once and the world comes to an end.
If you call someone here a stupid c%#% , the reaction is always - Don't call me stupid! :lol: True story. There's no problem with the C#& part of it. You can then apologise for the stupid part and you're still victorious. :lol:

It will be interesting if he makes some sort of well prepared public statement about his defection and about what happened there as a way of clearing the air here. I don't think there will be much said against him because he is coming here with ZC's blessing after all. They control the narrative.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:12 am
If it happens in time for T20 WC then nothing like it! But i think they are targeting more from next year's WCQ perspective. I won't be surprised if Melton also is in the frame by that time.

Yes, it will give Zimbabwe a fair shot at the Qualifiers. Ireland have looked very competitive as well. One thing is for sure, whichever test teams (read top 10) fall into the qualifier, they are going to have it really tough.
Well I told you all two weeks ago, and people laughed, that it’ll be Ballance, Melton and Welch.
First pin of that has happened.
I’m dead certain Melton is next.
Welch I’m not as certain at this point as he’s now hit a few first class centuries so it’s a different circumstance. He was always the one I was least sure about.
Melton is as good as a guarantee I think.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Donald

Post by Donald »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:32 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:12 am

Well I told you all two weeks ago, and people laughed, that it’ll be Ballance, Melton and Welch.
First pin of that has happened.
I’m dead certain Melton is next.
Welch I’m not as certain at this point as he’s now hit a few first class centuries so it’s a different circumstance. He was always the one I was least sure about.
Melton is as good as a guarantee I think.
Its a funny world where someone who is doing well such as Nick welch is deemed not low hanging fruit.
ZC should make him an offer he cant refuse

Googly

Post by Googly »

Anyone else here think there would be no room for Byrom, Curran, Welch, Ballance, Melton, Evans, Williams, Ervine, Burl and Raza.
That's 9 pink Rhodesians and a brownish guy with Pakistani military training.
They would get that crowd control water cannon to disperse them :lol:
I'm just saying there's an acceptable number of white guys in that side regardless of what may be said to the contrary.
Three and everyone is beaming with brotherly love, four and the grin is like that iced up dog in Planes, Trains and Automobiles, five and there would be howls of protest, six and the water cannon and dogs arrive.

But I'd love to see them all back in Zim and playing franchise at least, it would create great interest from all communities. Add Gubbins, Fraine, Compton into that if they are invited back and that's 7 new decent batters to enjoy, plus I'm hearing that there's real interest from other overseas players and that it may well be over-subscibed this coming season.
The counties allow 1 overseas in red ball and 2 in white ball per team. I don't know if that's the industry standard or its up to the individual board and if the latter what ZC's stance will be. Plus there's that Academy side that went to India and I'm sure they'll want to give a couple of them a run.
Spots will be at a premium. What would also be interesting is if they offered a couple of out and out bowlers a spot.

They could go with the standard 5 teams and the batting standard would go up a couple of notches or there's perhaps the option of even having a 6th side? That's added expense and admin so that's unlikely and I think the best idea would be to make the sides stronger.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I suspect Byrom would only come after Ervine and Williams retire. Deep down I got a feeling Nick Welch is waiting for that too. Even from a salary bargaining point of view. If I was their agent I would tell them play 2 more seasons of County. If you do well try play for England if not come back.

ZC will bring them back on a premium. Right now they would actually have to fight for their places if everybody comes back at the same time. As for Byrom and Ireland, unless the ICC increases their allocation, surely Zim pays better. Have Ireland even been able to host 3 test matches yet? It's been like 3 years