Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh 1st ODI /2022 August 5

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh 1st ODI /2022 August 5

Post by secretzimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:23 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:59 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:26 am
Well his test average is rather good when you consider he's batted at 7 most of his test career.
Still not buying that. Considering that we have generally not always been a strong batting line up, he has had the opportunity to come in and hold an innings. There's many who bat at 7 with averages in the 40's.

I agree, coming in at 7 does make it harder, but I don't think it makes it too excusable.
There's 'many' who bat at 7, and keep wicket, who average above 40? Nope, there's only a very small handful.... Matt Prior the only one I can think of in the past several decades.

I admire your high standards and expectations but it's unrealistic, I'd say ridiculous, to expect anyone who has grown up in our system, plays in our Logan Cup, has played through all the chaos of ZC etc to get anywhere near that average, let alone batting at 7 and taking the gloves.

Only Williams has an average in that region and he doesn't keep wicket, he bats up the order, and he's one of the most naturally talented players on Earth.

Anyway this doesn't matter as we haven't played a Test in 13 months and won't play one for another six months! In white ball he's terribly out of form, but he's better than any alternative (which is very worrying.....). Let's hope he gets a dose of the Houghton magic soon.
Also he's the best leader we have. Should be captain across formats ideally.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Why are we criticising anyway when the team is doing this well. Yesterday was amazing, one of the very best days as a Zim fan.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:59 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:26 am
Well his test average is rather good when you consider he's batted at 7 most of his test career.
Still not buying that. Considering that we have generally not always been a strong batting line up, he has had the opportunity to come in and hold an innings. There's many who bat at 7 with averages in the 40's.

I agree, coming in at 7 does make it harder, but I don't think it makes it too excusable.
slcricfan1 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:52 am

27 is pretty decent by Zimbabwean standards. Many keepers dont averavge above 35. But yeah that odi average is pretty poor. Of course theres caveats to it like he`s only improved rather lately and was batting very far down but yeah not very pretty. He is still a decent player though. probably on par with a guy like Ervine right now maybe? Still though, not ideal like you said
We shouldn't be looking at zim standards. We should be looking at international standards. Perhaps we go, "by zim standards its fine" so we end up accepting it and that's why many of these players don't push on.

He's a decent player, but as a starter and vice captain, he needs to be more consistent.
Yeah agreed. Decent player but could and should be better especially in the odi format.

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

https://youtu.be/pjN9nm_yEco

Worth of watching this interview. Raza speech shows the mental positiveness in the dressing room nowadays.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Good stuff from both guys. Raza speaks really well.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Googly wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:40 am
Good interview
Wonder why Raza was so non commital with his answer at the 6 minute mark citing. 'one day, There is a time and a place' in relation to what motivates him.

Has he got a dartboard with a certain coach picture on or something? 😂😂

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Donald wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:55 am
Googly wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:40 am
Good interview
Wonder why Raza was so non commital with his answer at the 6 minute mark citing. 'one day, There is a time and a place' in relation to what motivates him.

Has he got a dartboard with a certain coach picture on or something? 😂😂
Maybe when Zolsky put him on show and heavily implied he was all reputation no substance.
Zolsky represents the opinion of Mukhulani the chairman.

He’s gone into another gear since so that could be it.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I'll be interested in watching Musakanda. If he can come off at the top of the order, even with a 50℅ consistency, I think he can play a very crucial role in the T20 and ODI side, especially in the WCQ next year, where he can provide those flying starts.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:30 pm
I'll be interested in watching Musakanda. If he can come off at the top of the order, even with a 50℅ consistency, I think he can play a very crucial role in the T20 and ODI side, especially in the WCQ next year, where he can provide those flying starts.
If he doesn’t deliver this series what’s the point.

He’s close to 30 and had only a couple of good knocks, so his leash should be short.
He also has a murder charge hanging over him so what’s the point.
I’d rather persist with Shumba, Marumani, the Bennet Broa and the diaspora.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:23 am

Also he's the best leader we have. Should be captain across formats ideally.
I agree, he may not be a great player but he is the best we have, his captaincy is excellent.

The West Indies used to play Darren Sammy for his captaincy alone, he couldn’t bat, bowl or field yet was in the side for years and led them to 2 world t20s. A great captain can make a massive difference in a side.