ZIMBABWE U19

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Marshmallow

ZIMBABWE U19

Post by Marshmallow »

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ZIMBABWE U19

Post by secretzimbo »

Not a single player from St Johns, St Georges or Churchill! Times have really changed.

They've been playing multi-day red ball cricket for the past month, which is interesting. That's not something I recall them doing with u19's for a long time. There's some notable exceptions in that list, quite a few white batters who have done well at school and would expect to be in there, but seem to have underwhelmed at the trials over the last couple of months.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Mr Mutendira will be foaming.
Ya thats highly unusual.
This u19 is going to be a mess. The Saints T20 festival is next week. Let's see..

Googly

Post by Googly »

Three lads from St Charles SA. That's interesting

Googly

Post by Googly »

My annual rant is the month of cricket the schools play in the third term before they shelve cricket in favor of learning for exams, invariably with external tutors and then the schools post their brilliant results but the tutors are the ones that should be getting the applause.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

St Charles seems to have a thing for Zimbabwean boys. I think they are all from Chitungwiza as well which is interesting.

There's some hotly-tipped players in that list. If they get the right support and engagement then theres no reason they wouldn't be able to do better than the last batch, who remember had absolutely fuck all coaching and fixtures.

Still 16 months to go until the WC in Jan 2024 so plenty of time, good to see they are actually organised this time. Quite a lot of those names I recognise from senior club cricket scorecards over the last year or two which is good.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya I'm willing to bet they won't be anywhere near as good as the last batch.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

And yet we haven't heard a peep from the last under 19's. Not a single one have been involved in anything, apart from Matty Welch who played a few t20's. Such a shame, because the Bennett's looked like serious prospects.

What happened to Emanuel Bawa?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:13 pm
Ya I'm willing to bet they won't be anywhere near as good as the last batch.
Maybe not naturally, but the last batch were thrown under the bus with next to no support at all until about 2 months before the world cup started. This lot have hopefully got 16 months of non-covid time and it looks like ZC are making an effort with them. That should make a huge difference.

I can't say I've seen many of this lot personally, but from what I've heard there is talent. Anyone on a scholarship at a good cricketing school in SA will be decent for starters. The bowling looks healthy - Schonken will be 2 years older, Shungu is a quick left armer who has a franchise deal for next year already, and Benadie is a very tall seamer.

I don't know how Mudenda has been doing in SA but he was as good as anyone I've seen two years ago. Think he's still only 14/15.

There's several bats in that list who appear to have scored plenty of runs actually.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:19 pm
And yet we haven't heard a peep from the last under 19's. Not a single one have been involved in anything, apart from Matty Welch who played a few t20's. Such a shame, because the Bennett's looked like serious prospects.

What happened to Emanuel Bawa?
Think the Bennett's have gone/are going abroad. Not sure where exactly. Falao, Chirwa and Schonken have been playing locally, I'm sure we'll see them around a franchise this year.

Bawa has just finished school in England. Probably going to uni.