AUSTRALIA VS ZIMBABWE / 2nd ODI/ 31 August 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
slcricfan1

Re: AUSTRALIA VS ZIMBABWE / 2nd ODI/ 31 August 2022

Post by slcricfan1 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:33 am
Other than his two wickets, unsure Ngarava offered much to the attack. Evans looked far more dangerous and was unlucky not to get a wicket or two.

I think our batting will always be an issue as long as our players have decided that they are more about preserving their wicket, rather than playing their game. You can see they get angsty about not scoring, so they either cower or they try to play big shots.

They really need to work on their tactical aspects. Feet movement, standing straight, playing with a straight bat. Break them down to basics.

Considering he has played 24 ODIs, Wessley should really have at least 1 century to his name. I don't want him or Marumani to fall into the bracket of being players who had talent, but didn't do anything with it.
Thats some real high expectations. Even root took 25 odis to make his first century

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well that was a depressing disaster.
We've gone from winning ten tosses to losing 5 in a row.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Dommy Hougtam is big disaster as coach loosing games back to back against top sides. Under Rajput Zim won matches against top sides like Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghans. However, Houghtam can beat Rajput if he brings back Bailance, Jimmy Ives, Derik Bell, Michael Lake, Duskin Milton, Johny Campbell, Grieg Quel, Napier Masakadza and two 145 kph pacers in form of Kevin Bowie & Motigamu
Last edited by The Robot on Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robo to rule :oops:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Not that I'm blaming that performance on the toss.
I kinda want to dissect that batting performance but it was so bad that for once I'm lost for words :lol:
It just makes me bloody angry that we are in this position.

I saw Mukhulani at that Asia cup sitting with some influential folk, wonder what's going on there?

Googly

Post by Googly »

The Robot wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:36 am
Dommy Hougtam is big disaster as coach loosing games back to back against top sides. Under Rajput Zim won matches against top sides like Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghans. However, Houghtam can beat Rajput if he brings back Bailance, Jimmy Ives, Derik Bell, Michael Lake, Duskin Milton, Johny Campbell, Grieg Quel, Napier Masakadza and two 145 kph pacers in form of Kevin Bowie & Motigamu
What is your mental age that you find this amusing? You are a very sad little fellow.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:59 am

Thats some real high expectations. Even root took 25 odis to make his first century
Root wasn't playing Bangladesh, Ireland and Afghanistan for most of those matches.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:45 am
slcricfan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:59 am

Root wasn't playing Bangladesh, Ireland and Afghanistan for most of those matches.
You can't have it both ways though. If you are discounting Bangladesh, Ireland and Afghanistan.... then Wes has only played 9 ODIs. You can't count them for one player and not the other.

Also theres another point there. Our guys just aren't used to facing this quality. It's pretty tough ask to come from facing club-level attacks in Zim and occasionally facing Bangladesh and Ireland, to then suddenly be playing India and Australia 6 times in 2 weeks. The step up is massive, seems pretty unrealistic to expect that step up to just happen - for any players anywhere in the world. It's like your post earlier in the thread saying our guys probably just come out and ignore the coaches and do whatever they want. I get the sentiment and understand your frustration and I've probably posted lots of similar things in match threads tbf. But obviously they do listen to coaches and they do try. Most if not all of this current squad are pretty switched on and seem like decent people that are playing for Dave and doing their best. There is a massive gulf in quality between us/ireland etc and teams like Australia in their home conditions. It's bloody tough.

It doesn't excuse today though.

I'd expect results like the first game, where one or two show signs with the bat and we take a handful of wickets and at least be half-competitive for some of the game. Today wasn't good enough, but it happens. I'm sure they'll learn and will come out better in the third game.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Googly wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:08 am
Well that was a depressing disaster.
We've gone from winning ten tosses to losing 5 in a row.
I'm going to bet 500 the next game for Australia to win the toss. that should break the toss losing streak :)

Australia might want to bat first to give Finch a chance to find some form with the series won. Even then, when we bat, the extra bounce isn't going away. At least the game will go for a lot longer to give the broadcasters and crowd some more entertainment. Another terrible performance like that and we can all but kiss goodbye any chance of being invited back.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I would have thought that Aussie would have batted first anyway, just to give the batters a run. Obviously we got their attention in the first game.
Ya obviously our domestic level doesn't prepare you for this, but a lot of international bowling attacks are tough to face, don't forget Afghanistan, their bowlers are absolutely world class.
You can go a long way towards replicating bowling attacks if you have good guys on the sidearm, bowling machines and left handed guys throwing off spin.
Theres also that clever little sidearm with that ball with holes and a good thrower can give you unplayable deliveries.
What you can't replicate is the occasion and the pressure of a sustained high quality attack. You're on your own in the middle with your batting partner. Under duress you revert to your faults, often the same faults you had as a schoolboy, actually, they never leave you. It's why you need to have most technical issues ironed out at school. Sounds a bit stupid, but you see it time and again.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Yes Afghanistan have a quality attack now. This will see their batsmen improve and really take them places.

To be honest the younger players are playing way above their regular level right now and they did well in the first game. Those are really tough conditions against some of the best bowlers in the world. Hazelwood is literally number 1 in the rankings. They were actually a bit rusty in the first game and we have been playing non stop for months, that's why we probably did ok for long periods of the game. Finch and Warner are in the top 10. Real quality and we are getting the worst of the conditions batting first.

8 of the guys in that team have played less than 40 ODIs I think and they will be around for years to come so it was a good learning curve. Raza is the one who disappointed me the most because as the man in form and with all that experience they set him up twice in 3 days. The exact same way. Regis was just being Regis and Williams I guess ran out of partners. The bulk of the runs will come from those 3 plus Ervine for the next 2 or so years. We have to accept that. The others are still learning