Match fitness

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Match fitness

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I noted with interest when I tuned in today that Mark Waugh made a comment that he thinks Zimbabwe need to up their fitness levels, which would help doing the small things right hand be agile.

It’s interesting that he has picked this up pretty quickly.
Something we have been saying a while and he’s right.

It’s an easy thing to get right.

I’m not even going to touch on the drug thing, but In the current team we have Burl who fluctuates, Jongwe who’s probably not as sharp as his role entails. Chatara who is getting a belly. And so forth.

We also saw BT and Hammy pack it on a few years ago. Kasuza and Prince who are in the wings are also fat.

Even worse, we had fast bowlers like Ncube and the worst offender, Panyangara, pack it on. Fast bowlers!

People of this age playing professional sport shouldn’t be this big unless there’s a thyroid issue.

If you’re training and not going hard on the kfc you won’t get fat.

So it tells me they are not training or going hard on the kfc or both.

Our biggest improvers in the squad (relative to where they started) Ervine, Raza and Regis, all have one thing in common. Great fitness.
Seems something easy to fix up.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Match fitness

Post by zimlover »

I think i heard the same thing when Jongwe was bowling with Ngarava, they both looked really fat on the big screen,I think they are right Jongwe has packed on a few Kilos.
I have to admit I met all those players in person and they don’t look that fat, but then again they do look a bigger in red and on the big screen.

I would say they look bulky probably a lot of weight in all the wrong areas, mainly the stomach and bum.

Jongwe and Ngarava look like there are going to get even bigger. It’s either a diet or genetic thing.

I think the missing link is a dietitian to give the guys a strict meal plan and idont know how they can attach that to their contracts.

I remember Taibu a while back mentioning how he used to have a strict diet regime.

If Taylor, Masakadza,Mawoyo, Panyangara we’re fat and still got selected it seems unfair to start that now, but then again these guys are international sportsman, they should at least take they fitness seriously and take it up a notch.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya the TV screen accentuates weight. You stand next to most fit cricketers and they're thin like racing snakes and you get accustomed to seeing that on the screen, then along comes a guy that looks normal to us in real life but on TV he looks like a fat fuck.
I was watching Jongwe galloping after a ball the other day and he looked like a fat kid chasing a rolling doughnut, but in reality he only needs to drop about 5kg.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Far from me to pass judgement on male derrières, but Ngarava's backside is massive :lol: He needs to lose a few kilos for sure! Jongwe is fat too but thats probably because he sinks 10 pints every weekend.

Ervine and Williams are constantly injured, but when they are on the field they run like 20 year olds. Raza too. Regis is fit. The rest, not so much. Marumani is a titan though apparently.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya some observations are best left alone 🤣

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Yes Raza looks like he could play for maybe even 4 more years. He is using he real age actually so he might have some time left in him :lol: in other countries he would be passed off as a 31 year old. Regis too. He looks like he can play for a while. Sean could but I think it's more of a mental challenge for him than physical. It's Ervine I'm a bit worried about.

Those ZC salaries are decent enough in a collapsing economy to keep them around if the admin side of the game is correct.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Craig is 37 now. I am definitely concerned about his recovery

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Burl is pretty tubby too.

I'm hopeful that Dave, being a coach who actually cares, might put quite a lot more focus on fitness. Rajput didn't speak to the players for several months at a time so of course he wasn't overseeing any fitness or S&C or nutrition regimes.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

That’s the other side I was going to mention but seemed to forget in my OP.
The constant injuries.

We have had up to at least 5 guys out after one series time and time again.

This is cricket, not MMA.

Most nrl squads would have about 3/4 peopel oit midway through the season and that’s brutal.

So there is no doubt an issue with fitness and conditioning. It’s all rolled into one.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:07 am
Far from me to pass judgement on male derrières, but Ngarava's backside is massive :lol: He needs to lose a few kilos for sure! Jongwe is fat too but thats probably because he sinks 10 pints every weekend.

Ervine and Williams are constantly injured, but when they are on the field they run like 20 year olds. Raza too. Regis is fit. The rest, not so much. Marumani is a titan though apparently.
It’s a black thing.
They can look like Usher at age 22 but age 30 they get a lot of weight in their arse.
Metabolism drops very quickly in blacks.
They don’t get wrinkles though.

Whites tend to get fat on belly, face and love handles. Although the metabolism generally deteriorated more gradually.

Asians no idea.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.