ZIMBABWE BOWLING COACH

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Marshmallow

ZIMBABWE BOWLING COACH

Post by Marshmallow »

https://twitter.com/Mr_Tich/status/1567 ... jQpMg&s=19

Somerset bowling coach Steve Kirby is set to become the new 🇿🇼🏏 bowling coach ahead of the T20 World Cup.

Somerset confirmed today that Kirby, who has previously worked with Dave Houghton at Derbyshire will leave the club at end of the 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 county season this month to join 🇿🇼.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ZIMBABWE BOWLING COACH

Post by secretzimbo »

Can’t say I know him, but a quick Google and this was amusing;

“Kirby is known as one of the fiercest bowlers in the game with a belligerent personality and infamous for his aggressive sledging. On dismissing Michael Atherton twice in his final match before retirement, Kirby quipped at the England legend ‘I’ve seen better batters in my fish and chip shop mate’” :lol: :lol:

In Dave we trust

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:02 pm

“Kirby is known as one of the fiercest bowlers in the game with a belligerent personality and infamous for his aggressive sledging. On dismissing Michael Atherton twice in his final match before retirement, Kirby quipped at the England legend ‘I’ve seen better batters in my fish and chip shop mate’” :lol: :lol:

In Dave we trust
Chivanga about to get more aggressive then :lol:

Donald

Post by Donald »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:59 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:02 pm

In Dave we trust
Chivanga about to get more aggressive then :lol:
Sky is the limit for chivanga agression with Kirby in charge 😂😂

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Regarding his new position, Steve said: “I genuinely love the Club and I’m going to miss everyone immensely. I’ve built up some amazing relationships over the past two years and it’s been really pleasing to see some of the younger bowlers coming through into the First Team.

“However, when this opportunity came along, I felt it was one that was too good to ignore. I’ve got aspirations to be the very best coach that I can be, and international cricket is something that I really want to be involved with.

“I’ve worked really well with Dave Houghton (Zimbabwe Head Coach) previously when we are at Derbyshire and when this position presented itself, I felt that I couldn’t turn it down. The scale of the role is hugely exciting because I won’t just be working with the national XI, I’ll also be involved with the whole Pathway structure across the country.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Interesting he's involved with pathways too. If he's doing both national team and pathways roles, that must be full time. So he must be moving here properly. Good luck to him, Zimbabwe is a big move for a guy in his mid-40's who has never lived or worked overseas before.

Apparently he is (or was, during his playing days) an absolute nutter, a massive personality.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/famo ... ach-995241

Found this from several years ago, which really describes his character and style.

I would think there are some lazy over-weight Zimbabwe bowlers who are feeling a bit nervous right now. :lol: Time to get in shape boys.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

This is good to see, ZC making the right moves of late!!!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

In all seriousness, Chivanga needs to be persisted with.

I was going to make a thread about this, but I’ll piggyback this instead.

Bowling is largely genetic, and he can crack out speeds of 145 km/hr. We haven’t seen a nigga since Blignaut pull that shit.
Maybe aside from Aliseni, he’s the second quickest bowler we have ever seen….
For a GOOD coach, this should be akin to a paedophile at a wiggles concert. A lot to work with.
Great way of sinking into a raw bowler to make a star.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:13 pm
In all seriousness, Chivanga needs to be persisted with.

I was going to make a thread about this, but I’ll piggyback this instead.

Bowling is largely genetic, and he can crack out speeds of 145 km/hr. We haven’t seen a nigga since Blignaut pull that shit.
Maybe aside from Aliseni, he’s the second quickest bowler we have ever seen….
For a GOOD coach, this should be akin to a paedophile at a wiggles concert. A lot to work with.
Great way of sinking into a raw bowler to make a star.
His age is not the best though so not sure