Zimbabwe T20 World Cup Squad 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sscricket
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Zimbabwe T20 World Cup Squad 2022

Post by sscricket »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:10 pm
The only reason why I would see them not picking him yet is because they will open with Craig and Regis plus if we look at all the games Marumani played he was fine until he played a big shot. It was always a wide swing or he lost his shape like has been mentioned on a previous thread. T20s he will have to attack immediately so maybe they think he isn't ready for the big stage compared to a milton who we saw finish a game.

Tough call especially for Munyonga but I'm assuming Munyonga is Burl's backup. Maybe in this next domestic season Tadi should try bat at 7
True. Marumani I noticed in and did not maintain shape. These aus bowlers hardly move the ball he could have had a much more productive series. Does not seem to know how to get off strike or play a big shot...has a lot of power but does not look at ball while swinging...he may come off at times..

Also chatara is not a threat.afg ban seem to handle him pretty well. He is definitely,or was better than bowlers of the past but not nyauchi. Open with nyauchi and bowl blessing or ngarava eva ns in the middle. Keep it tight..

sscricket

Post by sscricket »

I would ask marumani and actually a lot of zim batters to tap the bat down or swing it downward a little just before the ball is released to maintain shape. . Kinda like bairstow, rajapaksa, pant, stoinis etc..or even our own bt classic example...a lot of these youngsters seem to point it up like Kohli,kl,rohit etc which prevents them from timing and shape....

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:42 pm
Marumani gets thrown in the deep end against Australia and does well .
Gets excluded from a number of games, which in hindsight he should have been picked for, and now not in the squad?

My 10c worth is someone in pointy shoes interfered with the selection process. He's pissed someone off or there's a favorite and Marumani is the one who gets the chop to make way.
Larry queried it then after a phone call he followed up with "makes sense really," which means it doesn't make sense. :lol:
Feeble.
I agree, 100%. It's so obvious, that he has fallen out with someone or his family has an issue with a selector or some petty third world shite like that.

Thrown in against Australia, looks decent for his age. Comes back and absolutely dominates the T10, but then isn't even in the squad? Tragic selection.

I've watched this kid since he was 12 and without doubt he has the highest ceiling in T20 format of any of our young or youngish players, by far. It's criminal that they are not investing in him like they are investing in Wes and Shumba.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I suppose they are happy with Ervine and Wes opening and nudging it around for ones and twos.

Our selectors probably think a powerplay of 30-0 is sensational.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

5 of our 15 players have been injured and haven't played a cricket match since.

sscricket

Post by sscricket »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:19 pm
I suppose they are happy with Ervine and Wes opening and nudging it around for ones and twos.

Did you watch marumani in aus series.for the amount of swinging he did could have gotten a lot more. In t20 you gave to hit with certainty and without getting out at least for 30runs..on e for the future perhaps

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sscricket wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:22 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:19 pm

Did you watch marumani in aus series.for the amount of swinging he did could have gotten a lot more. In t20 you gave to hit with certainty and without getting out at least for 30runs..on e for the future perhaps
You're probably one of the selectors with that logic.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:19 am

I didn't watch the AUS series, but did notice that Marumani (and Madhevere) both got some runs against one of the best bowling attacks on their own turf. But if what you said is true about Marumani, then he's got a lot of work to do because "shape and form" ie technique is the real skill of batting because that determines repeatability of strokes, and consistency of run making. To reiterate, Ngarava scored back to back 30s recently with little "shape or form", but its precisely that lack of technique which ensures that he won't hit 30 consistently.
I watched all 3 games. They could have got more than they did. Marumani especially, got himself out by trying to go big when he didn't really need to. Especially in the first ODI. He was so close to a 50, but he just swung wildly when he could have knocked the ball around. All the big hitters, it comes down to their form and technique. Not just them swinging wildly. Marumani improves on this, he instantly becomes ten times better.
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:46 am

Sure, I get the point about domestic cricket and not reading too much into it. Although 290 runs from 5 T10 matches at an average of about 60-ish and a strike rate of 225+ is miles ahead of anyone else. Also last last season I think he scored 4 50's in 5 matches in the franchise T20.

And we do have decent coaches now for once. I think it's okay to be excited about this young man.

I get it. I'm not doubting his talent. He has loads and is a good player. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the side or thereabouts, and nice to be excited about him. I'm just having some perspective. He showed weakness against Aus, and if we want him to play international cricket, then he needs to iron those things out. All well and good to knock the guys from Chitungwiza around the park, but the International game is where you are fully judged. Don't want him ending up with Hammy like stats of 200 ODIS and only 5 centuries or 66 T20's and only 11 50s.

Kid has the talent to better those stats and earn himself some serious recognition.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Here you learn on the big stage, not in our domestic comps, they're just hamstringing this poor guy. His ability is clear for all to see.
Pointy shoe brigade playing God

Donald

Post by Donald »

Googly wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:13 am
Here you learn on the big stage, not in our domestic comps, they're just hamstringing this poor guy. His ability is clear for all to see.
Pointy shoe brigade playing God
Selectors arent big fans of meritocracy it seems
What has shumba done since scotland... Plus he has been crocked for some time.
Strange selections