Antum Naqvi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Antum Naqvi

Post by secretzimbo »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:29 pm
The whole thing about Byrom is strange, why can't they just play 3-overseas players? Who's made up this rule that they can't? Silly stuff
The rule has been 2 per side for years. But in Naqvi’s first game they actually played all three. I wonder if Rhinos got a fine/warning/points deduction or something which led to them having to drop one (Byrom) for the next couple of games.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It shows there's a bit of a disconnect between head office and franchise, or a degree of autonomy that is surprising.

I think Eagles and Rocks have only had one overseas?

Matt parkinson arrives soon. He may well be our first out and out overseas bowler?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Who is Parkinson playing for? Rocks?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:42 am
It shows there's a bit of a disconnect between head office and franchise, or a degree of autonomy that is surprising.
There’s been a recent effort to try and let the franchises be as independent as possible. But of course all their managers are very closely aligned ZC stalwarts so whether they really are ever independent in practice is another thing.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Any news on this T20 competition, are we expecting a draft and a flood of overseas players?

On the bright side if we have the rest of the Logan cup, some counties coming and then the domestic T20 and the T10 then there will be plenty of opportunities for guys to put their case forward.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:32 am
Any news on this T20 competition, are we expecting a draft and a flood of overseas players?
The T10? I’ll be quite surprised if it ever happens

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:48 am
zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:32 am
The T10? I’ll be quite surprised if it ever happens
Yes, sorry the T10. Yeah I share your suspicion.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:19 am
Who is Parkinson playing for? Rocks?
I think Eagles?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I agree with jaybro, there's no denying that Naqvi has improved the quality of the competition. On form, he'd be the first name on the team sheet. If he's out there cracking hundreds, the bowlers are (hopefully) learning that they need to try other things to get a better quality batsman out.

There's something unpleasant about pay-to-play at the professional level, but let's imagine R Ashwin comes out and says it's his life dream to play Logan Cup cricket and he'll pay for the privilege. Would we have a problem with that?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:18 pm
I agree with jaybro, there's no denying that Naqvi has improved the quality of the competition. On form, he'd be the first name on the team sheet. If he's out there cracking hundreds, the bowlers are (hopefully) learning that they need to try other things to get a better quality batsman out.

There's something unpleasant about pay-to-play at the professional level, but let's imagine R Ashwin comes out and says it's his life dream to play Logan Cup cricket and he'll pay for the privilege. Would we have a problem with that?
I’m with you on that one. Pay to play is fine and adds to funds BUT, there absolutely must be a case for not just merit, improving the comp.
If Ravi Ashwin pays or plays for free. Great.
If that little Indian fella from the under 19s team 4 years back gets his dad to pay to play again? This is a problem. That kid was clearly out of his depth.

Now here is the problem, Naqvi has done well, but what if he didn’t?

That goes from ‘kid from the premier elite standard cricketing comp in the world lifting standards’ to ‘club cricketer buys himself game at expense of locals’ very quickly.

Which is kinda Googlys point.

Plus he didn’t need to come on here and big note himself and play the race card immediately. The culture wars gets peope killed in Zim. And curries are on that chopping board…. Maybe something a boy from Baulkham Hills may not be aware of. Big difference between Hillside hotel and Highbrow.

Side note.
Am I theo boy one that thinks batsmen imports isn’t that important?
What I would like to see is elite spinners and fast pace men in ten comp. It’s what that Logan Cup is desperately crying out for.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*