[Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Netherlands, 3rd ODI, Harare, 25 Mar 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tgk

Re: [Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Netherlands, 3rd ODI, Harare, 25 Mar 2023

Post by tgk »

An actual simple, easy chase won by 7 wickets and finished by our top order batsmen, 50s for Wes and Gary, good batting by Ervine, all round excellence from Williams, Raza seems to be growing back into it. We deserved this :D

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Well done lads, excellent win.

This needs to be our batting template going forward

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

sloandog wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:04 pm
Well done lads, excellent win.

This needs to be our batting template going forward
Well hold on Some people on this Forum are demanding for Kaia to confuse the lineup..

Googly

Post by Googly »

Larry was a poor selection from the outset and in hindsight so was Mavuta.
Kaia can count himself unlucky, he's not done a lot wrong.
Evans has bowled tidily but will always be a fringe pick until he takes wickets and can be relied upon to make a few runs.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Do we have any out and out hitter in lower middle order in the domestic setup .I don't mind this side only thing is we can consider dropping mavuta and bring in one good hitter. Raza,Williams,burl and madhevere can bowl 20 overs among themselves i think

Donald

Post by Donald »

Mavuta bowled a little too full for my liking in this game. Notwithstanding this still a good player with excellent averages domestically lately. Worth perservering with.
We never really got over losing Cremer did we

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

tej_27 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:32 pm
Do we have any out and out hitter in lower middle order in the domestic setup .I don't mind this side only thing is we can consider dropping mavuta and bring in one good hitter. Raza,Williams,burl and madhevere can bowl 20 overs among themselves i think
A lower middle order hitter doesn’t exist really anymore. They are top order players now.
Lower order hitters are all rounders/ bowlers that can flay.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Just goes to show the value of playing consistent cricket. We've got better and better as this series has gone on.

Was also nice to see Ballance go into 4th gear towards the end there too. Showing he has what it takes to show some power too. Sean williams just continues to show why he's probably our best player still at 35. He really does show his value when he takes big scalps like he did today.

Genuinely believe going forward Welch will make a return and Ben Curran will come good the more he plays

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Congratulations on an excellent win guys. Truly well deserved and yet another series win under Dave Houghton.

To realize that I Kaia, T Chatara, L Jongwe, B Mavuta, V Nyauchi and the likes comprise the bench is a reassuring feeling as well.

Williams in the side makes a huge difference and I don't know what Dave did with Wesley but after a long time he has looked as good as he ever has.

Sikki has added more weapons to his bowling arsenal, he has looked like a man who is high on confidence. It is very interesting that he is now bowling in the 40th - 48th over mark meaning he is basically taking the role of a death bowler, I really liked this move.

Gary Ballance had added great stability to this batting line up, his presence in this side is invaluable.

My only concern is the lack of bowling given to the main bowlers, be it Blessing, Ngarava, Evans or Wellington. But such are the all round bowling options that Ervine atm has use his bowlers the way he likes. I don't think any other test playing nation has so many proper all rounder options.

Having said all that we need to stay grounded and be wary of the opposition at the Qualifiers. It's not going to be easy, but if there is a Zimbabwe team that can crack it, then this is the team and the chances of cracking it are very realistic.

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

tej_27 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:32 pm
You forget that Mavuta can bat as well and has the makings of a future all-rounder