Logan cup round January 2024

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Logan cup round January 2024

Post by CalZim »

I feel the same way as Secret, to me a few good games this season doesn’t warrant a national selection when he has been average for the past few seasons.

I have never been much for him but I’m glad he is starting to perform with the bat. If he can keep it up then he will get his chance at some point.

Main positive for me today was the Maposa 5fer, he looked a complete different bowler, I’m actually excited about his potential.

Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Crastle_cog »

Well he does average 35 with the bat at list A level and usually been quite consistent the past few seasons. The big problem I had with him was that he never used to convert past 50.

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:02 pm
That’s not to say there’s a quota, there isn’t. There’s just an acceptable number of murungus in a side.
Not really true, is it?
We had 6/7 white guys with/without Raza quite often when Cremer was captain.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

CalZim wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:49 pm
I feel the same way as Secret, to me a few good games this season doesn’t warrant a national selection when he has been average for the past few seasons.

I have never been much for him but I’m glad he is starting to perform with the bat. If he can keep it up then he will get his chance at some point.

Main positive for me today was the Maposa 5fer, he looked a complete different bowler, I’m actually excited about his potential.

Yes Maposa’s performance definitely raised some eyebrows. Who else went to Pakistan? Makoni? Falao? That’s a good initiative.

pillowprocter

Post by pillowprocter »

Full list of those who went

Tinotenda Maposa, Tawanda Mposa, Tanunurwa Makoni, Marshal Takodza, Brighton Phiri, Lennox Chando, Davis Murwendo, Alex Falao

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

See guys I can tell you a neutral view esp of the people from the subcontinent.

There is a perception that white players are better because they've always seen white players being world class for Zimbabwe, except a few like Taibu, Hamilton, Raza etc. Also after 2003 there is an 'assumption' that ZCB is anti-white, so even deserving white players are deliberately left out, unless they are unbelievably good like Brendan Taylor.

I'm not saying these perceptions are right, they may be, they may be not, but this is the reason a lot of people on X and on various forums, kind of assume that Campbell, Bennett, Moor, Welch are actually better players than Marumami, Kaia, Kamunhukamwe Or Munyonga. It is not about racism, it is just a perception people have formed.

This perception won't go away, until Zimbabwe, with whatever team they select, start performing like they did in their peak period of 1996-2003.

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

It's not an outrageous take if you ask me. The good times of Zim cricket have coincidentally matched with a higher number of white players in the system/team. It's also not like people see the black players in a different light as to being racists. You gotta remember the same subcontinent folks go crazy with the mention of west indian stars. Sam got a nice point in here. When I was a kid, I had the same perception. The decrease in number of white players coincided with Zimbabwe's gradual decline. So not much of a fault on the average subcontinent cricket fan who has never even heard of the logan cup.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

It all makes sense until you see people requesting for Dion Myers because they think he is white :lol: then you start to ask questions on whether people are just trolling or whether they actually watch the games.

I’m really happy that they stream games now. People can see for themselves. I genuinely don’t believe there is a quota system anymore. The selection is usually just off and you will actually notice that a lot of black players who deserve a chance aren’t selected at all. Mufudza is an example of this. K-Long for the qualifiers and many more instances because nobody is begging for them to be selected on social media.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

It even goes to the abuse that Themba gets that when you look at his stats in ODIs you almost think that there is a mistake. He has the 6th highest ODI average in South African history at a strike rate of 89 and people think he doesn’t deserve to be in the team.

Compare his stats to Klaasen, Hendricks, Markram etc but see who people want to be dropped first

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:37 am
It all makes sense until you see people requesting for Dion Myers because they think he is white :lol: then you start to ask questions on whether people are just trolling or whether they actually watch the games.

I’m really happy that they stream games now. People can see for themselves. I genuinely don’t believe there is a quota system anymore. The selection is usually just off and you will actually notice that a lot of black players who deserve a chance aren’t selected at all. Mufudza is an example of this. K-Long for the qualifiers and many more instances because nobody is begging for them to be selected on social media.
Yeah fair points Taps. In fact I personally feel that Zhuwao, no matter how much he gets bashed up here, was never properly utilized by ZC, he would have been a very good asset in T20s, esp against the associates.

Solomon Mire was another very good player, not properly handled and eventually retired at a young age.

ZCB have been very poor in handling quality talent irrespective of their colour.

I'll add Chigumbura's name to this as well, a very clean striker of the ball ane a very handy bowler, but for some reason he was consistently getting dropped for someone like Malcom Waller who was very average cricketer.