Interview: Eagles CEO Hugo Ribatika

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Interview: Eagles CEO Hugo Ribatika

Post by maehara »

From today's Sunday Mail: http://www.sundaymail.co.zw/inside.aspx ... 8580&cat=5
IN just over a month’s time, South African legend Andy Hall and later Grant Flower will troop into the country to begin their new-found coaching careers with reigning Logan Cup champions Mashonaland Eagles. Their presence and that of other internationals who have thrown their hats into the ring to help Zimbabwe return to Test cricket have made this upcoming franchise season one of the most anticipated events in the country’s sporting history. The Sunday Mail Sport Reporter, Tinashe Kusema (TK), caught up with Eagles CEO Hugo Ribatika (HR) to talk about his team’s plans for the new season.

TK: Firstly, give us an overview of your franchise.
HR: Mash Eagles is a franchise of Zimbabwe Cricket and is responsible for all domestic cricket within Greater Harare and Mashonaland Central. We work very closely with two associations, namely Harare Metropolitan Cricket Association and Mashonaland Central Cricket Association. Our primary objective is to develop structures that create a sustainable flow of top-class cricketers to the Zimbabwe national team.

This process is made possible via the development of coaches and other infrastructure that we have in place that allows for grassroots development and talent identification and nurturing. We work very closely with ZC in ensuring that we meet and surpass the various objectives that we have collectively, one of which is our impending return to the Test arena in 2011.

It is also important to say that all this is made possible through the various corporates and many individuals that sponsor Mash Eagles Cricket — we alone would not have sufficient resources to achieve all this.

TK: The year 2009 marked the beginning of the franchise era. Would you say your inaugural season was a success?
HR: We had a relatively good season last year given the resources we had at our disposal, young team and all. However, we managed to inscribe our names in stone by being the first team to win the Logan Cup, in addition to a semi-final finish in the 50-over format and losing finalist in the Twenty-20 competition. All this we did with a young and inexperienced team so, yes, I would have to go out and say we had a very good season and can only improve.

TK: Recently your franchise embarked on a team-building exercise in Chimanimani. What was the rationale behind it and was it a success?
HR: We believe in two things, that nothing good comes easy and no man is an island. One of my observations last season was the tendency of some players to play for personal glory and not for the team. The team-building and strategy sessions at Outward Bound in Chimanimani demystified all of this. I have no doubt in my mind that every member of the Mash Eagles team, whether player or staff, fully understands the significance of teamwork in achieving our common goal of becoming and maintaining our position as the country’s top sports franchise. So, yes, we succeeded.

TK: You are currently the reigning Logan champions, so what can we expect from you this time around, more trophies perhaps?
HR: Any Eagle will tell you that contentment stems from flying high . . . does that answer your question?

TK: In a way it does, but the off-season has seen most franchises busy on the market releasing and acquiring new players and you have been relatively quiet, so how has Eagles changed in that regard?
HR: We have been fortunate to retain all the players that performed for us last season.

TK: What about the rumours that you are currently looking at a couple of county cricket players who you aim to acquire for this season? Could you expand a bit on that?
HR: I don’t like rumours, so let me clear the air. Yes, we are speaking to two players to bolster the side, both of whom are county players — Charlie Schreck (a bowler) and Nick Compton (an opening batsman). You will recall that last season we struggled with the openers so this acquisition should mitigate against the challenges we faced last season. With Kyle Jarvis recovering from a back injury and possible player fatigue likely to set in due to the busy Zim National Team and Zim A fixtures, we felt that an extra explosive bowler would assist the team.

TK: Last season you generally carried the underdog tag for much of the season due to your reliance on the youth policy, can we expect more of the same this time around given your few new acquisitions so far?
HR: We are strong believers in development and do not doubt that the world over the most successful teams are those that have a sound development programme. This season we have four rookies including U19 captain P. J. Moor and U19 player Kudakwashe Munyeda. I believe that a balance between youth and experience is a necessary formula to reaching the heights of success that we so treasure.

I suppose when you are the underdogs it takes away the pressure. However, let me hasten to say that we have always perceived ourselves as champions regardless of external perceptions. We will therefore continue this season from where we left off last season.

TK: Grant Flower and Andy Hall are largely your biggest buys this season. In what capacity are they going to be involved with Eagles and for how long?
HR: Andrew Hall will be player/head coach of the franchise while Grant Flower will be his assistant. Hall’s experience and current form should allow him to lead from the front. His experience as an all-rounder for South Africa in both Test and ODIs will be key in the success of the Mash Eagles this season. We are all fully aware of Grant Flower’s talent and believe his presence and participation will inspire all the Eagles.

TK: What about Flower, can we expect him to also play this season?
HR: No, at least for now because we employed him on a coaching basis, but we are trying to persuade him to play and if successful he will be an asset.

TK: What is the situation with Elton Chigumbura and Chris Silverwood?
HR: There is no situation with Elton Chigumbura — he remains our captain and we look forward to him carrying his current top form at Northamptonshire into the season when he returns in mid-September. Chris Silverwood will not be returning to the Mash Eagles this season. However, we are confident that Andrew Hall is more than sufficient cover in the coaching department. We do not doubt his ability to carry on from where Silverwood left off.

TK: Thank you for your time and good luck this season.
HR: Anytime, Tinashe.