Glen Querl for Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Glen Querl for Zimbabwe

Post by bayhaus »

Based on last season and so far this season would it not be safe to say that Querl has earned a spot for the West Indies?
BUT is that the whole story? I think there are only two reasons why Querl wont go to West Indies.
1. The throwing issue is true and the coaches are aware of it
2. He is not willing to commit to Zimbabwe

What with the issue that Querl is chucking?
Surely if Heath Streak knows that he is chucking he is doing the young man a great disservice by not helping to rectify the issue. If he is holding back because he is more concerned about Tuskers results than rectifying this wicket taking machine then he is selfish. Apparently ZC will only send him for testing once he is in the national team. Probably only after he has been called. It would be embarrassing for streak if he is selected and then after two overs he is called for throwing.
Committing to Zimbabwe
[quote=Zimdoggy]Querl yes…. But until the guy decides to commit to the nation “(hes eligible) its moot.[/quote]
Is it because he doesnt want to commit to playing for Zimbabwe? is Querl on record to say he has been approached but can't commit.

Its a pity cricket is not popular enough for our journos to see a story here and force a statement from someone ANYONE!
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

aydee

Re: Glen Querl for Zimbabwe

Post by aydee »

bayhaus wrote:Based on last season and so far this season would it not be safe to say that Querl has earned a spot for the West Indies?
BUT is that the whole story? I think there are only two reasons why Querl wont go to West Indies.
1. The throwing issue is true and the coaches are aware of it
2. He is not willing to commit to Zimbabwe

What with the issue that Querl is chucking?
Surely if Heath Streak knows that he is chucking he is doing the young man a great disservice by not helping to rectify the issue. If he is holding back because he is more concerned about Tuskers results than rectifying this wicket taking machine then he is selfish. Apparently ZC will only send him for testing once he is in the national team. Probably only after he has been called. It would be embarrassing for streak if he is selected and then after two overs he is called for throwing.
Committing to Zimbabwe
Zimdoggy wrote:Querl yes…. But until the guy decides to commit to the nation “(hes eligible) its moot.
Is it because he doesnt want to commit to playing for Zimbabwe? is Querl on record to say he has been approached but can't commit.

Its a pity cricket is not popular enough for our journos to see a story here and force a statement from someone ANYONE!

My guess is that he hasn't committed, although I have not seen this confirmed. However, I do remember a very brief mention that he was called up (with limited notice) for one of these expanded training squads, but didn't show as he did not want to give up the cricket he was playing in England at the time.

Now obviously a 30-man training camp is somewhat different from a test call-up, and it would probably have done him more good as a cricketer to be playing for the Unicorns and county 2nd XIs than take part in a camp. However, perhaps this was indicative of where his head is at generally. Perhaps this has also (understandably) put those in authority off him. Specualtion only...

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

if querl oput his hand up he would walk into the zim team.

there was an article a few months back where he was interviewed and said he didnt want to jeapordise his current contract and saif it would be an honour to play for zim when the time was right.

hes clearly open to it but in wo minds and leaning towards a 'not yet'.

this is why we need people in ZC to entice him
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

It's simple though. Do we think he's good enough to walk into the test team? I do, I did LAST YEAR (but then again more because I'm a Tuskers fan ;) ) If we offer him a test place, that'll give him more exposure and experience than the England development route and he'd take it in an instant. However, I suspect the stability of our local cricket is the issue here, the lad wants to be able to fly to the UK when things go south (elections = violence = tanking economy).

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe-do ... 32445.html
A member of the ECB Unicorns squad and an MCC Young Cricketer since 2009, Glenn Querl first came to attention as a cricketer of potential in primary school in Zimbabwe, and represented Zimbabwe Under-19 at the Afro-Asia Cup in 2005 and the Under-19 World Cup in 2006. Querl was playing for Harrow in early July 2006, but by the end of that month he had found a place in the Essex second XI, with whom he spent the 2007 season. The following season was spent playing club cricket for Bishop's Stortford in Hertfordshire, and although there were questions asked of his bowling action at the time, he was subsequently cleared and he secured his MCC place in 2009. In 2010 Querl represented the Unicorns, a team of non-contracted cricketers which played in the CB40 league, with moderate success and in June he was part of the MCC side - captained by Sourav Ganguly and including Brian Lara - that played a Twenty20 game against the touring Pakistan team at Lord's.

Liam Brickhill

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:http://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe-do ... 32445.html

A member of the ECB Unicorns squad and an MCC Young Cricketer since 2009, Glenn Querl first came to attention as a cricketer of potential in primary school in Zimbabwe, and represented Zimbabwe Under-19 at the Afro-Asia Cup in 2005 and the Under-19 World Cup in 2006. Querl was playing for Harrow in early July 2006, but by the end of that month he had found a place in the Essex second XI, with whom he spent the 2007 season. The following season was spent playing club cricket for Bishop's Stortford in Hertfordshire, and although there were questions asked of his bowling action at the time, he was subsequently cleared and he secured his MCC place in 2009. In 2010 Querl represented the Unicorns, a team of non-contracted cricketers which played in the CB40 league, with moderate success and in June he was part of the MCC side - captained by Sourav Ganguly and including Brian Lara - that played a Twenty20 game against the touring Pakistan team at Lord's.

Liam Brickhill
Thanks for this link unfortunately as few cats AT ZC think he chucks. So the chucking is out the way that means we should probably see him in WI.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Does this mean we can drop Elton 'the walking wicket'?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

i think eltons days are numbered in tests and odis
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Zimfanatic69
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Zimfanatic69 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:i think eltons days are numbered in tests and odis

Well you could say that about every player in the team.
A talented batsman but a modest, hardworking character, Stuart Matsikenyeri is the third of three school friends from Churchill Boys High School, Harare to represent Zimbabwe in international cricket. - Cricinfo.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Zimfanatic69 wrote:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:i think eltons days are numbered in tests and odis

Well you could say that about every player in the team.
Yea but mate, Chigumbura has consistently FAILED. Waller, Taylor, Mazakadza, Sibanda, and the rest have all shown in the past 18 months some kind of form with the bat, while Chigumbura has just done nothing, and i mean nothing. He doesn't deserve to be constantly picked, despite his poor performances, and if Querl is available for the tour of the West Indies, I hope he takes the 'allrounders' spot.