Mangongo casts the net wide for Under-19 World Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Mangongo casts the net wide for Under-19 World Cup

Post by pariah »

TapsC wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:23 am
Mangongo is more suited to coaching kids than professionals.
This makes no sense.

You would also argue that Streak is more suited to coaching pros but he's been absolute rubbish.

Better thing to say is Mangongo is not only excellent with youngsters, he's also brilliant with Pros. Everything has completely fallen apart ever since he's no longer part of the coaching set up. It was better when he was both Vice Coach and Head Coach.
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:46 am
This is the legacy of Mangongo that should remain for a long time, and hopefully would be celebrated when one looks back years from now.
How can you point to this "potential" legacy while all of the current generation of players he produced have been brilliant and excellent servants of Zimbabwe?

The likes of Utseya, Chigumbura, Mawoyo, Hami, Taibu, Matsi, Vusi, Mutizwa etc, and now the likes of Chakabva, Kasuza, Wellington, Jongwe etc.

These are precisely the double standards on this forum. If as a fan you look forward to celebrating achievements and a legacy, the key question is, what is the current position?

If Mangongo was South African he would be a hero and celebrated. He would be a recipient of the Order of Ikhamanga.

This business of overlookng a man's history in efforts to undermine his achievements so abject failures can appear more competent not because they managed but merely earned multiple times more than he did makes no sense whatsoever.

Mangongo is an excellent coach, who would have taken Zimbabwe to greater heights had his process not been interrupted. Those boys he was gradually introducing were playing for him. As it is Zimbabwe is having to chase after a 35 year old Sean Ervine and bring back a 32 year Brendan Taylor out of desperation for pretty much little to no difference.

pariah

Post by pariah »

TapsC wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:48 am
Dont know why England still has so many guys have from other countries playing for them when they have such a well oiled system
Why do you think the Rising Stars are no better after cricket-binging pub level opposition?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ok that was a good observation. It’s astonishing that South African and Zimbabweans do so well when put into that environment. Firstly only the good ones go there and a lot of the time they seem to have that bit extra. One thing is you go as an outsider and know you have to try harder. Despite our difficulties our schools still produce quality kids. Most have been great ambassadors, Eastbourne will always consider a Zimbabwean after Evans’s and Huchu, becuse they did so well there. There’s a sense of entitlement amongst a lot of those English kids that impedes their progress. Not all, but a lot. It’s what happened to Jongwe here- he was treated as the next great black young hope and he came unstuck. Hopefully he will come good.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

pariah wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:03 am
Better thing to say is Mangongo is not only excellent with youngsters, he's also brilliant with Pros.
Yea because assaulting your own players illustrates this wonderfully.
Taylor, and other cricketers, even said the Bangladesh tour in 2014 was easily the least they've ever enjoyed their cricket due to the coaching style, being shouted at, being patronized and condescended to, by individuals who have never even played cricket.

Mangongo should stick with the youngsters, where his hard, tough nature can keep them in check and would be more suited.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Pariah I think you got Watermelon to help you with that post :lol:
I think Steve is awesome, clearly one of the few that do, but nonetheless I admire his passion in the sea of people who don’t give a fuck. I’m not sure he has the people skills to deal with seasoned players who are set in their ways. If you have a bunch of senior guys who you think aren’t up to speed the only person who’s going to get them voluntarily doing what you want is a quality coach with serious International experience or one who was also a top player as well. You have to look up to and respect your coach. Steve has had problems with his players because they don’t blindly follow, it’s easier to get a youngster to do that, almost impossible to get a player with a hundred ODI’s behind him to do it.

pariah

Post by pariah »

Googly wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:30 am
I think Steve is awesome, clearly one of the few that do, but nonetheless I admire his passion in the sea of people who don’t give a fuck. I’m not sure he has the people skills to deal with seasoned players who are set in their ways. If you have a bunch of senior guys who you think aren’t up to speed the only person who’s going to get them voluntarily doing what you want is a quality coach with serious International experience or one who was also a top player as well. You have to look up to and respect your coach. Steve has had problems with his players because they don’t blindly follow, it’s easier to get a youngster to do that, almost impossible to get a player with a hundred ODI’s behind him to do it.
Wrong. Taylor sulking has got nothing to do with Steve. Same with Williams. It's just that Mangongo wouldn't stand for the kind of nonsense they got away with when they were dealing with the white coaches who were his Head Coaches. No way Mangongo would allow a situation where Grant dedicates all his time sending throw downs to Taylor alone. Not even Mickey Aurthur would stand for that, and he just won the Champions Trophy with his tough love. If Taylor has poor spells he must be dropped. Mangongo did that. Even in the IPL captains are not afraid to drop big names and they deal with it. Same applies to international cricket in general.

Again it's these very same double standards that you overlook. Just because he didn't pamper your favourites doesn't make him a bad coach.

Mangongo did punish Panyangara but he didn't banish him to Australia or eject him from Rhinos like Brown did - scandalously bragging about it to other people that he intended to cut Panyangara down to size. When you think about it, Mangongo was right to punish Panyangara. He was also right to punish Jongwe and Chisoro. As or assault, do those making such assault rumours even have a police case number to prove their assault claims and even a magistrate's court appearance? Someone here was even crying about Mangongo having PJ Moor bombarded with bouncers.

Imagine if the Bangladesh batsmen had been subjected to such from Mangongo. They wouldn;t have been as utterly useless as they were in South Africa. Embarassing to call their visit a professional cricket tour. They've been an absolute laughing stock. You don't deserve kid gloves after you've been that woeful. That's where Mangongo kicks in.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

pariah wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:43 am
No way Mangongo would allow a situation where Grant dedicates all his time sending throw downs to Taylor alone.
Yea because that happened...
I've spoken to Robin Brown at length about Grant and he said he was the best batting coach Zimbabwe have ever had due to the time he gave all the players. Get your facts in check before you post utter shit.

pariah

Post by pariah »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:51 am
pariah wrote:
No way Mangongo would allow a situation where Grant dedicates all his time sending throw downs to Taylor alone.
I've spoken to Robin Brown at length about Grant and he said he was the best batting coach Zimbabwe have ever had due to the time he gave all the players. Get your facts in check before you post utter shit.
I have my facts very much straight on this issue. Search the forum as opposed to arguing old things you have no knowledge of.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

pariah wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:10 am
sloandog wrote:
pariah wrote:
I have my facts very much straight on this issue. Search the forum as opposed to arguing old things you have no knowledge of.
You've spoken to Robin Brown? Or you mean you're going off what others have suggested on a cricket forum? Hardly facts pal

pariah

Post by pariah »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:13 am
pariah wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:10 am
sloandog wrote:

You've spoken to Robin Brown? Or you mean you're going off what others have suggested on a cricket forum? Hardly facts pal
I've quoted Robin Brown in an official article and to this day members of this forum ignore his testimony. And now you want me to believe Grant was fair to all players - contrary to official evidence - simply because Brown said so in a chat with you?