UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mueddie28
Posts: 654
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Post by Mueddie28 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:01 am

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:48 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:32 am
Looks like Afghanistan backed out because ZC couldn't afford to broadcast the series on TV.

Initially I thought it was the arrogance of ACB, but now I can't really blame them, in present day to say they can't broadcast an international series is quite embarrassing really.
Yeah, the Afghans have a large fanbase and expect that a series against an existing full member be televised. Especially since they are sharing costs. The side benefit might be the Afghans might feel Ireland and Scotland will give them better practice especially in UK conditions.
Where is ZBC in all this

zimfan1
Posts: 4942
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:45 pm
Supports: MidWest Rhinos
Location: Hong Kong

Re: UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Post by zimfan1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:30 pm

Some good news at last, Zimbabwe will be touring The Netherlands as part of the European tour in July, no confirmation on the number of games at the moment.

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Post by Kriterion_BD » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:58 pm

zimfan1 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:30 pm
Some good news at last, Zimbabwe will be touring The Netherlands as part of the European tour in July, no confirmation on the number of games at the moment.
Surely the Dutch have ODI status as they will be in the new league starting 2020.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 7118
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Post by jaybro » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:01 pm

Yeah they have status these will be ODI matches
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

ZIMDOGGY
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:40 pm
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Post by ZIMDOGGY » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:25 am

We do really need to cut ties with Afghanistan.
The only benefit we have received is exposure to spin from that grey haired teenager.
They are entitled, think they are better than they are and there’s no value in them touring us or vice versa.
All it’s done is make us lose respect on ten world stage after we get toweled up in middle eastern dustbowls.

The way Zimbabwe play, we will be dismissed for 178 chasing 325 both against Afghanistan or Australia. We give retard teams too much respect and we lose by the same amount to stronger teams regardless if they are slightly better or worlds apart.

We are best to choose our opponents wisely and keep the fixtures ticking and players occupied by playing A teams like TapsC said.

Personally, I think Zim should ensure they play at least one annual test with SA.
Given the SA team have a weighted racial quota, they could use the opportunity to niggerfy their team if they fall behind in their targets, or on the flip side, blood players they are hesistant to do against the top sides. So In essence we get to play a proper test match at C team prices.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

**
Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Post by Kriterion_BD » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:49 am

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:25 am

They are entitled, think they are better than they are and there’s no value in them touring us or vice versa.
Thats unfair on Afghanistan. I agree, they have some cocky players and arrogant fans. But what Asian nation apart from perhaps Sri Lanka don't? I'll be the first to admit, BD fans are terrible. Just like the Pak and Indian ones. And before anyone says that India is the best team in the world, I'd like to remind everyone of the obvious, India's (or Pakistan or Bangladesh or Afghanistan's) rank is no credit to any of their respective fans. Kohli might be a great player, but is he that much better than a Smith or a Warner or a Williamson or a Root? Judging from his on-field antics, one would get that sense.

But Afghanistan have dominated Zimbabwe ever since they have started playing each other back in 2014. Afghanistan have won 22 times across formats, and ZIM have won 10. Except for the most recent encounter in the Qualifiers, anytime there was a pressure situation between them, Afghanistan found a way to come out on top.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

sam_ahm
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Post by sam_ahm » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 am

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:49 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:25 am

They are entitled, think they are better than they are and there’s no value in them touring us or vice versa.
Thats unfair on Afghanistan. I agree, they have some cocky players and arrogant fans. But what Asian nation apart from perhaps Sri Lanka don't? I'll be the first to admit, BD fans are terrible. Just like the Pak and Indian ones. And before anyone says that India is the best team in the world, I'd like to remind everyone of the obvious, India's (or Pakistan or Bangladesh or Afghanistan's) rank is no credit to any of their respective fans. Kohli might be a great player, but is he that much better than a Smith or a Warner or a Williamson or a Root? Judging from his on-field antics, one would get that sense.

But Afghanistan have dominated Zimbabwe ever since they have started playing each other back in 2014. Afghanistan have won 22 times across formats, and ZIM have won 10. Except for the most recent encounter in the Qualifiers, anytime there was a pressure situation between them, Afghanistan found a way to come out on top.
I agree, Afghans are arrogant to some extent, but we can't take away the fact that they have been an impressive team and considering the situation in Afghanistan over the years, their hard work and rise in cricket must be appreciated.

By the way, great to know that Zimbabwe will play both Netherlands and Ireland... Hopefully they can get a deal done with Scotland as well.

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Post by Kriterion_BD » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 am

The other thing is that both Afghanistan and Zimbabwe played each other for reasons of mutual benefit. For AFG it was obvious: one of the rare chances to play a Test nation. For Zimbabwe it was getting to play additional fixtures against a decent but beatable opposition in the hopes that they could translate that experience to the bigger sides. So far, only the Afghans have earned dividends whilst Zimbabwe have not. So its unfair to put the blame squarely on Afghanistan.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 7118
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Post by jaybro » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:06 am

Facts are the following

Zimbabwe was the first and only full member who would host and play Afghanistan on a regular basis (I think Bnagldesh played them for one series)

Afghanistan wanted to play Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe at Harare to prepare themselves for the WC

Afghanistan got a better offer from Pakistan and decided to pull out

Zimbabwe only have themselves to blame though, they really should have won the first Four ODI series played between the two sides, they let slip winnable matches in every series. Maybe if they beat them a few times and didn't fuck up in CWCQ then Afghanistan wouldn't be leaving them behind.
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Post by Kriterion_BD » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:34 am

jaybro wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:06 am
Facts are the following

Zimbabwe was the first and only full member who would host and play Afghanistan on a regular basis (I think Bnagldesh played them for one series)

Afghanistan wanted to play Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe at Harare to prepare themselves for the WC

Afghanistan got a better offer from Pakistan and decided to pull out

Zimbabwe only have themselves to blame though, they really should have won the first Four ODI series played between the two sides, they let slip winnable matches in every series. Maybe if they beat them a few times and didn't fuck up in CWCQ then Afghanistan wouldn't be leaving them behind.
Bangladesh hosted Afghanistan once for 3 ODIs (as preparation for the England tour - so all bilateral series are involve mutual self interest) and toured India last year for 3 T20Is.

Are AFG and PAK supposed to play a series? Hard to believe because PCB and ACB are not on good terms.

I don't think ZIM's standing was the critical factor. Yes, the Afghans probably feel they are the better side, but I doubt they would ignore ZIM because who else will they play?

The critical factor was ZIM's inability/unwillingness to broadcast the series properly.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests