Eddie Byrom and Nick Welch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Robbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Eddie Byrom and Nick Welch

Post by Robbo »

The first class season has started here in England, and Eddie Byrom has already made his mark by scoring unbeaten 50 and and unbeaten 100 for Somerset vs Cardiff MCCU. Bowling for Cardiff was Brad Evans, also a Zimbabwean. The whole game was streamed live on youtube and is still able to view, if you have spare 8 hours or so.

Nick Welch was batting for Loughborough MCCU vs Liecestershire, and scored 18 and 40 odd. No Malcolm Lake playing for Oxford who got a creditable draw with Middlesex. His studies must have finished. I'm going to watch Oxford on Monday so I'll try and find out what he's now up to.

jward

Re: Eddie Byrom and Nick Welch

Post by jward »

Robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:24 pm
The first class season has started here in England, and Eddie Byrom has already made his mark by scoring unbeaten 50 and and unbeaten 100 for Somerset vs Cardiff MCCU. Bowling for Cardiff was Brad Evans, also a Zimbabwean. The whole game was streamed live on youtube and is still able to view, if you have spare 8 hours or so.

Nick Welch was batting for Loughborough MCCU vs Liecestershire, and scored 18 and 40 odd. No Malcolm Lake playing for Oxford who got a creditable draw with Middlesex. His studies must have finished. I'm going to watch Oxford on Monday so I'll try and find out what he's now up to.
Yes, I would be interested to hear, thanks.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

There’s 4 blokes who could make a difference to the side
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

I watched Byrom’s second innings. I see they have him down the order, there’s a lot less pressure there and it showed because he played quite freely. He’s a very good player, I don’t think there’s anyone that keeps his head more still than him when he contacts the ball. They probably should have batted him at 6 last season, he’d be in a better place now. The reality is that sides always need solid openers so I’d guess this is just temporary if he does well and he’ll go back up. These Uni bowling attacks are not in the same dept as a FC line up so I await eagerly his first game against a county. Ed punishes an ordinary attack but is very introspective against better bowlers. It’s not a talent thing, he’s got plenty of that, it’s in his head. He just has to believe and he’s going to be some player.

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

I agree. The attack he was facing was quite modest, but he still batted very well. They got Somerset 9 down in the 2nd innings, so I wouldn’t say the bowling looked easy though either. Trescothick and Azhar Ali were opening, so it will be interesting to see where he bats.Never thought I’d be able to watch an early season MCCU game on an HD live stream....

jward

Post by jward »

Robbo wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:51 am
I agree. The attack he was facing was quite modest, but he still batted very well. They got Somerset 9 down in the 2nd innings, so I wouldn’t say the bowling looked easy though either. Trescothick and Azhar Ali were opening, so it will be interesting to see where he bats.Never thought I’d be able to watch an early season MCCU game on an HD live stream....
Zimbabwe desperately needs opening batsmen . . .

Googly

Post by Googly »

So do England :lol:

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Googly wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:08 am
😂😂😂😂
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jward

Post by jward »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:53 am
Googly wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:08 am
😂😂😂😂
. . . who are well known for pinching players from the rest of the world. If Tatenda Taibu was still in ZC, I'm sure he would have put in plans to keep him for the country of his birth.

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Watched Oxford MCCU on Monday and Malcolm Lake was not in the squad and has finished at Oxford. Not sure what his cricketing or indeed life plans are from now. I didn't get a chance to ask the Oxford coach unfortunately. Lovely day watching first class cricket in the English springtime though. The Parks ground is beautiful.