Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Post by zimfan1 »

Declare. How many chances do we get to win a test?

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

I play a pretty shit standard of social cricket. My mate once said we need to get 14 wickets to get a team all out, meaning dropped catches, batting team umpires not giving lbws etc. I sort of feel the same with Zim. They need to create about 14 chances to win tomorrow.

Declare. Now. We need all the time we can muster.

I mean who really gives a shit if we lose or draw. We have been done in by the rain, which has stopped us from having a 120 over go at them and a lead of 400.

Let's stick them in and see what happens.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

We lose a game we should have drawn
We have a toothless attack led by a part time bowler -
Raza
Our fielding is awful with a lot of dropped catches
Go for a draw...
How long have we register a point in Test cricket...
If we can play 15 overs and set Sri Lanka 400runs in 75 overs that's competitive at least we wouldn't lose the match..

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Time for a poll :)

jward

Post by jward »

foreignfield wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:18 pm
I say declare overnight. I can't see Sri Lanka chasing 356 at four an over and putting their series win at risk, and we need all the time we can get, with rain around, to bowl them out.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jward wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:03 pm
foreignfield wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:18 pm
I say declare overnight. I can't see Sri Lanka chasing 356 at four an over and putting their series win at risk, and we need all the time we can get, with rain around, to bowl them out.
Do you go to the games much John

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

No point wasting time in the morning batting. SL have no chance of chasing this total down.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Ludicrous to bat again and it will open up Williams for plenty of abuse from the haters as people will claim he just wants his half century.

The other thing to remember is that you lose 2 overs for change of innings if Zimbabwe bat then declare, with rain and poor light about every extra ball is precious.

355 in 97 overs is 3.6 per over, it's highly unlikely Sri Lanka will be able to get that and even if they did attempt to go for it that will be bring Zimbabwe into the game even more, it's a no brainer for me, Williams must declare.

It will be a Test of the bowlers to see what they're made of, Raza was obviously very good in the 1st innings, but the seamers pretty much just kept the ball wide of off stump to slow the batsmen down. If they try that in the 2nd innings Sri Lanka will just leave and play for the draw.

The seamers must employ a very straight, 'stump to stump' line and length and make the batsmen play every ball. Have a couple of short catchers in at mid on & mid off and go after them.

Can't wait for this I just hope they declare and they get in 98 overs
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMFAN wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:08 pm
I play a pretty shit standard of social cricket. My mate once said we need to get 14 wickets to get a team all out, meaning dropped catches, batting team umpires not giving lbws etc. I sort of feel the same with Zim. They need to create about 14 chances to win tomorrow.
Sounds about right. Bangladesh are about the same. They need to create 14-15 chances to get 10 wickets given Mushfiq will always fumble 2-3 stumpings/catches per innings.

A good side like NZ or India will generally need to create 11-12 chances to get 10 wickets. A mediocre side will take 13-14. Then you have the lower ranked sides. I'd imagine a Bangladesh needs 14-16. It might sound like the difference between 11 and 16 isn't much, but a) thats almost 50% more. And if you take the average batting average of 30 runs per wicket, thats an additional 150 runs added to the total on average for a lower ranked side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimlover »

I believe we should bat for 30 minutes and take whatever comes and just put on a lead of at least 380 to 400,
Let’s not forget Srilanka is ranked 6 in the Test rankings,If we draw the game it’s still a good result we have done well

On the other side if we declare overnight and they chase this total we loose the test match,our bowlers are unreliable there is a chance of this happening we have very little gas to finish them off.

The benefits of winning this Test match are Srilanka will want to invite us for another tour of Srilanka to set the record straight this could get us more games with quality sides.

This will be a confidence boost for our guys it might improve morale amongst the group.

Let’s bat 30 minutes throw everything at them ,and take it to them extend the lead to 380 -400.

If the Srilankas want to defend and stone wall for 70 overs let them play like that,stone walling only make it more easier to play the seamers and bowl straight either way it’s still game on.

We need to win though,who is going to stand up today at take the test match last time it was a bowling effort,do we have enough bowling power to bowl them out?

The weather forecast looks good today with 2% chance of rain in the afternoon compared to other day it was 45 %

The sun is out and shining let bat the extra 30 minutes And declare after 30 minutes of having a good crack.