U19 World Cup | South Africa | Jan-Feb 2024

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: U19 World Cup | South Africa | Jan-Feb 2024

Post by eugene »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:53 am
eugene wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:16 pm
The six major nations outside of the big three are actually playing more tests now that they were 10 years ago, the problem is that none of them can beat the big three at home or away anymore. South Africa was the last non-big three to regularly taste success against the big three and even they have fallen away. Does anyone ever see Pakistan, Sri Lanka, or West Indies ever winning a series in India, Australia, or England again?
Almost every touring team wins a Test in England. Sri Lanka and West Indies have won Tests in England in the past decade, and they'd win a couple more if they toured more often. Heck Bangladesh could probably win a Test in England too, the way the conditions are and how inconsistent England are at home.

The bottom 6 are actually fairly competitive at home...they have some dips in form, but West Indies just won a series vs England a year ago. Bangladesh has beaten England and Australia in their most recent tours to BD (granted its been 7-8 years). Bangladesh almost beat India last year as well. And I'm sure Pakistan would be the most competitive of that group at home vs the Big 3. The you have NZ and SA who are still formidable at home, regardless of the strength of the opposition.
You should read this article which shows how big the gap is between the big three and the next six now: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/test ... ix-1417584
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ilovearsenal04
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by ilovearsenal04 »

andrea lanzoni wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:27 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:43 pm
Restrict the opposition to 147 and then we chase it down without breaking sweat with 15 overs and 8 wickets spare and this guy is on the forum criticising the players because they 'didn't hit sixes' :?

Top cricket knowledge there :?
I try to esplain why you are off mark.

My point of view is that just because you have to chase 147 ONLY, it's the opportunity to take risks, to try something more than business as usual.
Trying more than usual builds self confidence in these boys.

Building up self confidence, especially in youth leagues, is beneficial when turning senior.

Am I wrong that somebody posted on this forum to hire a psychologist for the senior squad? 8-)
Instead of psychologists it's better to work on agonistic attitude of younger players.
Thats just plain wrong, the way this game was played is the best possible way to finish this game! The only problem i see is how the Kohl injury was handled!
The higher you go the cooler it becomes.

Donald

Post by Donald »

How many more guaranteed games do zimbabwe have.

3???

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

ilovearsenal04 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:15 pm
andrea lanzoni wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:27 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:43 pm
Restrict the opposition to 147 and then we chase it down without breaking sweat with 15 overs and 8 wickets spare and this guy is on the forum criticising the players because they 'didn't hit sixes' :?

Top cricket knowledge there :?
I try to esplain why you are off mark.

My point of view is that just because you have to chase 147 ONLY, it's the opportunity to take risks, to try something more than business as usual.
Trying more than usual builds self confidence in these boys.

Building up self confidence, especially in youth leagues, is beneficial when turning senior.

Am I wrong that somebody posted on this forum to hire a psychologist for the senior squad? 8-)
Instead of psychologists it's better to work on agonistic attitude of younger players.
Thats just plain wrong, the way this game was played is the best possible way to finish this game! The only problem i see is how the Kohl injury was handled!
Of course if you do not think beyond "to finish this game" a safe play as it was meant today may be seen as "the best possible way".

Indeed there are othr ways.... and they are not at all "plain wrong".

Quite the opposite, there are ways to be pursued when you have a junior team.
Ways to overcome the problem to have, one day, senior players that choke when called for importants feats.

Maybe, when they were younger, they were taught that chasing 147 against Namibia was to be managed in the safer possible way, without any daring....

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

Donald wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:08 pm
How many more guaranteed games do zimbabwe have.

3???
I think it’s just 2. For some reason we don’t play the West Indies in the super 6. It seems strange but if you finish 3rd you only play 1st and 2nd from group C.

Our NRR is battered so even if we do somehow win both we won’t make the semis

CalZim

Post by CalZim »

I’m glad we don’t have to play on that pitch again, it has been a real difficult pitch to bat on and it seems our strength is bowling in this team.

Still can’t believe Shungu hasn’t played bet he is gutted to have missed out.

Nyamhuri may be erratic but he is a wicket taker, something we lack on the domestic scene so would be good to see if he progresses to seniors.

CalZim

Post by CalZim »

Schonken has disappointed me though, I thought he was a much better bowler than what he has bowled the past 3 games.

He was dreadful today (ignore the stats) so many bad balls, he would just be peppered against a side that can bat.

If Shungu was fit I would prefer him to be in the team, the other 4 bowlers have done a decent job. Simbi reminds me of a young Wellington.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Shungu had a knee injury I believe. They haven't called up a replacement so I think it's minor. He'll probably come in for Eksteen next game.

Why do we only play 2 more matches? How bizarre. I thought we played all three of the other teams :shock:

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:08 pm
Shungu had a knee injury I believe. They haven't called up a replacement so I think it's minor. He'll probably come in for Eksteen next game.

Why do we only play 2 more matches? How bizarre. I thought we played all three of the other teams :shock:
I think it is so teams play 5 games overall to keep the "Super Six" element?

Would love to play Ireland and beat them again.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Two more fkin games

That's horseshit

Bloody ICC thought it would be 3 games at very least