Test XI - Windies series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mr Twig

Re: Test XI - Windies series

Post by Mr Twig »

What a disappointing squad. You know it’s shit when all of you have included Chibabha in your XI. What’s he done to deserves a spot?

At least Ballance is there and I think he will excel here. I’m banking on him grinding out a big hundred.

Same old problems with zero depth and lack of domestic performances so randoms get picked. Id like to know the thought process for selecting Tsiga, Maunze, and Shumba. But it's not like some of the other names mentioned in this thread like Campbell, Marumani, Mutambani or anyone else have performed well enough to be picked. Antum Naqvi would have definitely made this XI.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Man I don't know anything about half the guys that are being predicited to make the XI.

Really disappointing to see Raza and Burl choose non-IPL leagues over Tests...they have only a handful they can play before retirement. But for ZIM, its actually not that bad because it allows them to trial replacements for Williams, Raza, Ervine who probably only have 2 years left (which at the current rate equals a maximum of 4-5 Tests after this series).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

If Ervine isn't playing there's no obvious captain choice apart from Gary B. That would be an interesting announcement.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:39 pm
So there are two Makoni's.

Tanunurwa - in this squad
Tashinga - in the last U19 squad

I believe one is Takemore's son and the other is his nephew. Anyone know which is which? Is Tanu the son?
I think Tanu is the nephew. He's actually a decent player. He was given a spot in domestic cricket, but he sure has put his hand up to open and has cemented his spot.

The name is the clue- Tashinga- Takashinga.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I don't have high hopes, or any rather, for this series.

That Zim XI put in a dismal performance, and that is our depth. Granted, they were never expected to beat WI, but 122 is still pitiful.

A lot will be learnt in this series. Many big players missing. Some has beens are back, and then a lot sprinkled in between. We could make WI look like prime Aus which says a lot considering how Aus demolished WI, or we could challenge. Challenge and be competetive is the least to ask for.

I think seeing how poorly our depth is and how a lot of players are just not improving or developing their skill, we really need to reconsider our "play her before you can play for the national team" policy.

Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Crastle_cog »

Please no one tell me Moor or Curran were available and they went for this squad.
Can't really see the match going beyond 3 days particularly more if ervine is injured as well FFS!!!
And why would you not try madande and marumani?!!!!
Even though maru had a torrid white ball series we all know he has it in him.
Probably a gig in the longest format finally could've gotten him the spark he requires.
And also.
If Burl isn't available why wasn't campbell at least considered for zim xI?!!!
I do reckon he is like for like (not in terms of quality ofc).

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Are we angry about squad selection or the lack of depth?

Apart from Tsiga, I don't think they've made a blunder with any picks.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

The forumites have gotten themselves into a lather over this squad. :lol:
The problem is you never know who is selecting any given side and what criteria are being used. As usual there's never an explanation because if you're not answerable then why should you?

You should be rewarding guys who've done exceptionally well in domestic cricket or the system doesn't work. What is vexing for everyone is that as weak as it is the better players don't always put their hands up.
Mavuta is probably the only guy who's justified selection on this basis and he's yet to be seen.

How do the selectors wring their hands over Madande or Marumani for months and then suddenly decide to give Tsiga a shot?

If we only play the odd one off test is the result of consequence?

How many internationals do you play before you get a much coveted and barely liveable central contract? Would a player prefer to get a cap and a clap or a freshly inked piece of paper so he can buy 3 decent meals a day for his family whilst the Big Dogs gargle Green Label.
Maybe it's different from different folk? Perhaps one guy just has to make an extended squad once and he wins a contract whilst others need to play for a couple of years and win a couple of MoM awards before they're signed up?
How many abysmal performances do you have to turn in before your contract is shredded and you have to pawn your gold chains and you're back in the trenches eating sadza with the 300 buck riff raff?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Im convinced that Madande is injured, has to be otherwise it don't make sense
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

Campbell is an interesting one. Don't compare him to Burl, compare him to Shumba.