Regis Chakabva moves to Australia

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Regis Chakabva moves to Australia

Post by TapsC2 »

Solomon Mire is probably the best example of a foreign based player that we have. That didn't last long either.

Googly

Post by Googly »

You didn't respond to my previous question, Taps?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Notify me when a reply is posted
EXPAND VIEWTOPIC REVIEW: REGIS CHAKABVA MOVES TO AUSTRALIA
by Googly » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:02 pm

by TapsC2 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:02 pm

Solomon Mire is probably the best example of a foreign based player that we have. That didn't last long either.
by TapsC2 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:00 pm

ZIMDOGGY wrote: ↑
TapsC2 wrote: ↑Dave Houghton clearly knows what he is doing and there is a reason why he is saying money must not be thrown around and that everyone must come and earn it. We almost lost everything the last time that happened and it didn't work out.
Just because it didn’t work with Jarvis doesn’t mean the concept is bad.

The plain fact is most of our best players are overseas. We get them back, we are stronger.

Does anyone really regret Neil Johnson’s cameo? To me that is looked back upon as the golden days.

When they are back, they will stay if it’s best for them. Like with Neil, our retention has been terrible. Treat the players right. Pay them what they are worth. In fact pay them slightly more so you have better control over their careers and future playing pool (would be enticing for anyone who qualifies for Zim).

It’s very tempting to look for value and grab a player for unders, cheaply, but there’s no salary cap in international cricket and if playing for Zimbabwe earns itself a reputation of being lucrative everyone will either return or not leave.

There does need to be a Special development category created too to target the youth, leave the 300 dollar a month contracts to Cephas and Nyathi and let’s get a 2000 a month tier to look after the Shonkens of the country.
Nobody regrets the 1999 cameos but there are 2 key differences in terms of what people are asking for. To the best of my knowledge Johnson, Goodwin and Huckle moved back to Zimbabwe. They weren't playing overseas and making cameos when needed. They were on the ground. They also didn't have promises of huge contracts when they came back to Zimbabwe.

It's a very delicate balancing act because you can create real problems with the domestic players who are slaving away. The example was imagine Ben Curran had been given a lucrative contract then he came and performed like that. What do you think would be running through someone like Kevin Kasuza's mind if he saw that?

If you are so talented and our domestic scene is as bad as people say then surely you would back yourself to come and crack the national team in a few months anyway right? I mean if you are that good and everybody else is average then why would you struggle?
What do you consider a lucrative contract?
Curran is not a great example because he lost his contract and has nothing to negotiate.

That last paragraph is not quite right. Anyone on the planet can have a shit run. With so few games those shit games equate to a season

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:17 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:00 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:33 pm

This so much!!!

People don't realise this. They want this high and mighty "you have to play in Zim to play for Zim" but don't realise that during our most successful period, that wasn't the case. Players do want it, but if you don't give them enough of a reason to, then you don't blame them for walking out.

It honestly makes sense to let players play overseas whilst we build up our resources and our infrastructure. They will be playing and training with world class coaches in world class facilities. It's free development for ZC.

Absolutely hate this narrative thats being peddled.
Do you guys actually know the rules and conditions for you to be a full member and what it says about domestic cricket. None of those names you people mention can play in England and Australia unless they give up their contracts there. Regis can because its grade cricket but from Ballance to Cartwright to Muyeye.They are all registered as local players. So I actually don't know what you guys are on about. The only way they can play for us is to be contracted to us. It's as simple as that.
There is no law stopping Cartwright from playing for Zimbabwe tomorrow if he wanted.

Ballance there is an England created rule of only having a couple of overseas players per team. He could do it though If he switched statuses and they gifted him a slot.
Let's say Cartwright did that and said he wants to play for Zim. Let's say he announced this in time for the T20 world cup. From my understanding I think the Australian season is between October and March right?. In that period Zimbabwe would be playing the T20 World Cup, December Afghanistan, January Ireland, February the West Indies, March the Netherlands. Would Western Australia who would still be his main employers allow him to play all those games?

Zimbabwe would not be able to to issue a No Objection Certificate if he decided to not play any games. Can you see the problems it could create? We are a full member and there are just certain things that would not look good. This happens regularly to the Netherlands and Scotland but nobody pays attention because all those foreign based players pitch up for the World Cups.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I heard that Afghanistan tour is cancelled? Don't know how true that is.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:02 pm
One of the original problems just before we got suspended was that ZC felt that they gave the coaching staff everything they asked for to qualify for that world cup. Remember Sean Ervine requested something previously before and they didn't give him the money. This time they did. That's where a lot of the anger came from and I personally think the domino effect that created fled to the whole coaching staff being fired all the way to the SRC intervening and us getting suspended.

Obviously a lot of things happened in between and that's not the only reason but it did play a part. As I said before Dave Houghton has done his maths. There is a reason why he is against it. I don't know why we can trust him in everything besides that.

As for the players getting shit salaries and the fat cats making a lot more I don't agree with it. What frustrates me more is that until a few months ago the ICC were the ones distributing the funds. They know exactly how much everybody gets and they didn't do anything about it.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:20 pm
They don't want to come from what I heard. I think Ireland and the West Indies are more likely to happen as things stands

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:24 pm
Googly wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:02 pm
One of the original problems just before we got suspended was that ZC felt that they gave the coaching staff everything they asked for to qualify for that world cup. Remember Sean Ervine requested something previously before and they didn't give him the money. This time they did. That's where a lot of the anger came from and I personally think the domino effect that created fled to the whole coaching staff being fired all the way to the SRC intervening and us getting suspended.

Obviously a lot of things happened in between and that's not the only reason but it did play a part. As I said before Dave Houghton has done his maths. There is a reason why he is against it. I don't know why we can trust him in everything besides that.

As for the players getting shit salaries and the fat cats making a lot more I don't agree with it. What frustrates me more is that until a few months ago the ICC were the ones distributing the funds. They know exactly how much everybody gets and they didn't do anything about it.
The fact that they thought money would solve the problem indicates a complete lack of understanding about cricket.
"Better" players increase the possibility of success, there are no guarantees.
Not one of the fat cats opted for a slight decrease in their own salary to accommodate anyone. That alone indicates they don't really give a shit.
Ya ICC wouldn't blink an eye at their ridiculous salaries because they'll all be on similar packages. They're all thick as thieves. ZC have dodged many bullets with ease and dexterity, tells you all you need to know about ICC.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:00 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:59 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:49 am
Dave Houghton clearly knows what he is doing and there is a reason why he is saying money must not be thrown around and that everyone must come and earn it. We almost lost everything the last time that happened and it didn't work out.
Just because it didn’t work with Jarvis doesn’t mean the concept is bad.

The plain fact is most of our best players are overseas. We get them back, we are stronger.

Does anyone really regret Neil Johnson’s cameo? To me that is looked back upon as the golden days.

When they are back, they will stay if it’s best for them. Like with Neil, our retention has been terrible. Treat the players right. Pay them what they are worth. In fact pay them slightly more so you have better control over their careers and future playing pool (would be enticing for anyone who qualifies for Zim).

It’s very tempting to look for value and grab a player for unders, cheaply, but there’s no salary cap in international cricket and if playing for Zimbabwe earns itself a reputation of being lucrative everyone will either return or not leave.

There does need to be a Special development category created too to target the youth, leave the 300 dollar a month contracts to Cephas and Nyathi and let’s get a 2000 a month tier to look after the Shonkens of the country.
Nobody regrets the 1999 cameos but there are 2 key differences in terms of what people are asking for. To the best of my knowledge Johnson, Goodwin and Huckle moved back to Zimbabwe. They weren't playing overseas and making cameos when needed. They were on the ground. They also didn't have promises of huge contracts when they came back to Zimbabwe.

It's a very delicate balancing act because you can create real problems with the domestic players who are slaving away. The example was imagine Ben Curran had been given a lucrative contract then he came and performed like that. What do you think would be running through someone like Kevin Kasuza's mind if he saw that?

If you are so talented and our domestic scene is as bad as people say then surely you would back yourself to come and crack the national team in a few months anyway right? I mean if you are that good and everybody else is average then why would you struggle?
They won’t do that for Curran as he isn’t a ‘star’.
But if he was so what. This is international sport. Kasuza has no right to complain unless he feels he’s better.
Even then sporting teams cut players who are better for lessers all the time. Usually for age reasons. Simon Katich.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:25 pm
Googly wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:20 pm
They don't want to come from what I heard. I think Ireland and the West Indies are more likely to happen as things stands
Test is definitely cancelled and a decision due on the other formats this week. As usual there is little to no broadcast value and the ACB is struggling for funds itself at the moment - they don’t see the value of visiting Zim for the second time in six months.